public phones - landline, looking for cheapest way

Old November 12th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Glikogen

Default public phones - landline, looking for cheapest way

Hi

I'm looking for cheapest way for calling from public phones to landlines. I
found calling cards with 2p/minute. Do you know anything cheaper?

Glikogen

Old November 13th 05, 07:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Glikogen:
Hi

I'm looking for cheapest way for calling from public phones to
landlines. I found calling cards with 2p/minute. Do you know anything
cheaper?
Glikogen

BT public phones charge 30p for 15 mins (2p/min) no need for calling card to
get that rate.

Old November 13th 05, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message

Thus spaketh Glikogen:
Hi

I'm looking for cheapest way for calling from public
phones to landlines. I found calling cards with
2p/minute. Do you know anything cheaper?
Glikogen

BT public phones charge 30p for 15 mins (2p/min) no need
for calling card to get that rate.

Only a valid rate if you stay on the phone for 15 minutes, who the ****
stays in a phone box for 15 minutes..?!

For a quick "I missed the train" call, it's hardly a competitive rate.

Ivor

Old November 13th 05, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message

Thus spaketh Glikogen:
Hi

I'm looking for cheapest way for calling from public
phones to landlines. I found calling cards with
2p/minute. Do you know anything cheaper?
Glikogen

BT public phones charge 30p for 15 mins (2p/min) no need
for calling card to get that rate.

Only a valid rate if you stay on the phone for 15 minutes, who the
**** stays in a phone box for 15 minutes..?!

For a quick "I missed the train" call, it's hardly a competitive rate.

Ivor

I had a call yesterday from a relative, they stayed in the phone box for
almost half an hour, 15 mins until got cut off and then almost another 15 as I
called them back. Must admit I was surprised they were calling from the phone
box.

It is true, for quick calls it isn't competitive, and is why I don't use them
myself.

Old November 13th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message
Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:

[snip]

For a quick "I missed the train" call, it's hardly a
competitive rate.

I had a call yesterday from a relative, they stayed in
the phone box for almost half an hour, 15 mins until got
cut off and then almost another 15 as I called them back.
Must admit I was surprised they were calling from the
phone box.
It is true, for quick calls it isn't competitive, and is
why I don't use them myself.

I must confess (I think I am safe from BT retribution after 35 years..?!)
that before the days when you could dial anywhere direct and had to go
through the operator for some destinations, I called a friend in
Chelmsford from the local phone box (we didn't have a phone in the house
then, that dates me..!) and had to go via the operator. I was never asked
to put any money in, although I had it ready, the operator just connected
me and left the circuit.

I was in that phone box for an hour and a half..!!

Ivor

Old November 14th 05, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Bloke Next Door

Ivor Jones asked:
who the **** stays in a phone box for 15 minutes..?!

In many rural areas, mobile coverage can be patchy
so public payphones are sometimes the only option.