A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

What do you think about Skypho?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 15th 05, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Iro5
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default What do you think about Skypho?

Call everyone, everywhere, for free, using Voip on your Internet
Broadband connection.

By registering without charge to the Skypho network, you get a
telephone number, with your City prefix, that is immediately reachable
by any other telephone.

You can call using your computer, either using any telephone or Voip
Gateway compatible with the SIP protocol.

For further information, please visit:
www.skypho.net

  #2  
Old November 15th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,037
Default What do you think about Skypho?

On 15 Nov 2005 02:22:00 -0800, "Iro5"
wrote:

Call everyone, everywhere, for free, using Voip on your Internet
Broadband connection.

By registering without charge to the Skypho network, you get a
telephone number, with your City prefix, that is immediately reachable
by any other telephone.

You can call using your computer, either using any telephone or Voip
Gateway compatible with the SIP protocol.

For further information, please visit:
www.skypho.net

Had a quick look at the site. Here is a sumary of what I found:-

First thing noticable is that English is obviously not the first
language of the person who wrote the English version of what is an
Italian run site.
Numbers provided are geograpic - that's a positive!
Sadly, it looks as if you can only call 'on-net' unless you link via
PSTN. If it were possible to call other voip networks then it would
make it more attractive.
20% VAT is applied.
As with other voip networks freefone calls are free.
Peak and off-peak is measured according to Italian time. So you have
to know what time it is in Italy. Seems very wierd to me.
UK inland charges are the same whatever the time of day.
UK charges a lot more than voipbuster at 1.9 cents inc VAT (1.28p)
Calls to 0870, 0845 23c/min. Mobiles 18.5c/min.

So, in summary.
Plus points:-
1. Operates a sip service.
2. Geographic numbers.

Negative points:-

1. UK Tariff slightly more than that of voipfone, for example, and a
lot more than voipbuster.
2. Non-geos very expensive.
3. 20% VAT.
4. Peak/off peak tied to Italian time.
5. Voip call slimited to 'on-net' afaik.

Overall conclusion:
Need to work on tariff a bit and perhaps, to compete with the
competition, offer some calling packages as well as PAYG.
Should link to other voip networks.
Unless there is a good reason for having a peak and off peak tariff
then they should drop it.




Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
  #3  
Old November 15th 05, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Davew
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 65
Default What do you think about Skypho?

Brian A wrote:


For further information, please visit:
www.skypho.net



So, in summary.
Plus points:-


2. Geographic numbers.



How do you get a non-italien geo?
  #4  
Old November 15th 05, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 848
Default What do you think about Skypho?

Have the Skype / Ebay lawyers been in touch yet ?
Only matter of time....
Regards,
Martin


  #5  
Old November 15th 05, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,037
Default What do you think about Skypho?

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:35:03 +0000, davew
daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net wrote:

Brian A wrote:


For further information, please visit:
www.skypho.net



So, in summary.
Plus points:-


2. Geographic numbers.



How do you get a non-italien geo?

Even though it is Italian run, as you wil see from the site, it does
cater for the UK and, from what I have read, provides UK geo. numbers.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
  #6  
Old November 16th 05, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,037
Default What do you think about Skypho?

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:35:31 GMT, wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:30:48 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:35:03 +0000, davew
daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net wrote:

Brian A wrote:


For further information, please visit:
www.skypho.net


So, in summary.
Plus points:-

2. Geographic numbers.



How do you get a non-italien geo?

Even though it is Italian run, as you wil see from the site, it does
cater for the UK and, from what I have read, provides UK geo. numbers.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Can't see any mention of the UK in the country box Brian .

This sentence is in the faqs:
'The Number Portability for UK numbers is not available at the moment.
It will be available shortly.'
Additonally:
'How much is the cost for calling my telephone number?'
'Skypho provides traditional geographical telephone numbers and the
caller pays the local, long distance or international tariff based on
its location.'
You can also see UK calls tariffs detailed in the price list and the
Union flag is on the red language bar.
I think that all that does indicate that they are catering for the UK.



Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
  #7  
Old November 16th 05, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 460
Default What do you think about Skypho?

In message of Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Brian A writes
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:35:31 GMT, wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:30:48 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:35:03 +0000, davew
daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net wrote:

Brian A wrote:


For further information, please visit:
www.skypho.net


So, in summary.
Plus points:-

2. Geographic numbers.



How do you get a non-italien geo?
Even though it is Italian run, as you wil see from the site, it does
cater for the UK and, from what I have read, provides UK geo. numbers.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Can't see any mention of the UK in the country box Brian .

This sentence is in the faqs:
'The Number Portability for UK numbers is not available at the moment.
It will be available shortly.'
Additonally:
'How much is the cost for calling my telephone number?'
'Skypho provides traditional geographical telephone numbers and the
caller pays the local, long distance or international tariff based on
its location.'
You can also see UK calls tariffs detailed in the price list and the
Union flag is on the red language bar.
I think that all that does indicate that they are catering for the UK.


Quite so. But, as has been said before, UK does not appear in the
"Country" box when you go to register. So UK residents can't register.

Bit useless really.

DF
  #8  
Old November 16th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,037
Default What do you think about Skypho?

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:01:21 +0000, David Floyd
wrote:

In message of Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Brian A writes
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:35:31 GMT, wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:30:48 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:35:03 +0000, davew
daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net wrote:

Brian A wrote:


For further information, please visit:
www.skypho.net


So, in summary.
Plus points:-

2. Geographic numbers.



How do you get a non-italien geo?
Even though it is Italian run, as you wil see from the site, it does
cater for the UK and, from what I have read, provides UK geo. numbers.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Can't see any mention of the UK in the country box Brian .

This sentence is in the faqs:
'The Number Portability for UK numbers is not available at the moment.
It will be available shortly.'
Additonally:
'How much is the cost for calling my telephone number?'
'Skypho provides traditional geographical telephone numbers and the
caller pays the local, long distance or international tariff based on
its location.'
You can also see UK calls tariffs detailed in the price list and the
Union flag is on the red language bar.
I think that all that does indicate that they are catering for the UK.


Quite so. But, as has been said before, UK does not appear in the
"Country" box when you go to register. So UK residents can't register.

Bit useless really.

Ah, hadn't tried to register so didn't see that - now I do.
It surely must be a mistake on their part.
I wonder how long it will take them to realise that they don't have
any UK customers.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
  #9  
Old November 16th 05, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,037
Default What do you think about Skypho?

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:32:57 +0000, Einstein wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:03:14 GMT, Brian A wrote:

Peak and off-peak is measured according to Italian time. So you have
to know what time it is in Italy. Seems very wierd to me.


Italian time = UK time + 1 hour. You don't have to have the brains of
Einstein to work that one out, do you?

Generally, when operating internationally, GMT (or UTC) is used.
How sensible would it be for a British Telco, operating
internationally to reference British time. They are more likely to
quote GMT.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
  #10  
Old November 16th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
pda700
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default What do you think about Skypho?

United Kingdom = Regno Unis. Geddit?! Sad fick lot here. Unfortunately you
can't get much further.

I have seen this before in relation to some of these foreign providers
sites .



 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you think about Skypho? Iro5 uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 November 15th 05 04:39 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.