Ban Skype for business

Old November 16th 05, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rupert

Default Ban Skype for business

Ban Skype for business, analyst warns

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/002381.html

The London technology researcher Info Tech is urging enterprises to ban
Skype - the massively popular Voice over Internet Protocol phone software -
from their organisations.

An advisory issued by the Research Group lists five reasons why Skype, as
opposed to general VoIP packages, should be barred from companies,
particularly those subject to compliance laws.

Firstly, it says, the Luxembourg-based company's software is not
standards-compliant, meaning it and any vulnerability contained within can
pass undetected through corporate firewalls.

Skype's closed source encryption lends towards man-in-the-middle attacks, it
adds, compounded by what the researcher calls "unanswered questions" about
how well the keys are managed.

"Companies that are already banning peer-to-peer applications, such as
instant messaging, should add Skype to its list of unsanctioned software
programs," said Ross Armstrong, analyst at Info Tech.

"Approximately 17 million registered Skype users are using the service for
business purposes. Unless an organisation specifies instances where Skype
use is acceptable, and outlines rules for client-side Skype settings, that's
17 million opportunities for a hacker to invade a corporate network."

Thirdly, companies continuing to use Skype risk a "communication barrier"
with countries and institutions which have taken steps to ban the service,
the advisory states.

It adds that the software is a risky choice for companies bounded by
compliance legislation because it remains "undetectable, untraceable and
unauditable."

Closely associated is vulnerability number five, namely the question of
whether VoIP qualifies as a useable business record.

The researcher claims ascertaining its validity is a "legal quagmire," while
it cautions that "throwing Skype into the communications mix further clouds
the issue."

"The bottom line is that even a mediocre hacker could take advantage of a
Skype vulnerability," Armstrong said.

"If you are going to use Skype within enterprise, manage it as you would any
other IT service: with policy and diligence."

Meanwhile, Skype is calling its community to employ some of the recommended
diligence following reports an e-mail, purporting to be from Skype, is
circulating users urging them to upgrade to the latest version.

The e-mail contains a Trojan horse program disguised as the software update,
authored on a document described by the VoIP provider as "very misleading"
and "high" in its forgery quality.

"We want to make it clear that the spoof e-mail that encourages people to
download the new version of Skype has not come from us," said staff at Skype
in a statement.

"We do not e-mail people the latest version of Skype. Skype uses digital
signatures to help users ensure that its software releases are valid. You
can verify the authenticity of Skype software by confirming that its digital
signature is valid - instructions for checking this are described in the
Administrator's Guide to Skype, which can be downloaded from
http://www.skype.com/security/.

Old November 16th 05, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Rupert wrote:

snipped rubbish

Why are you posting this tripe in here?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:53:04 up 14 days, 1:28, 4 users, load average: 0.33, 0.67, 0.66

Old November 17th 05, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Phil Thompson" wrote in
message
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:54:10 GMT, alexd
wrote:

Why are you posting this tripe in here?

because its a voip group

It is.

and Skype is a form of VoIP ?

Is it..? I never knew that ;-)

Ivor

Old November 17th 05, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Doz

wrote:

Why are you posting this tripe in here?

because its a voip group

It is.

and Skype is a form of VoIP ?

Is it..? I never knew that ;-)

Ivor

But It's still "tripe"
Old November 17th 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
7

Rupert wrote:

Ban Skype for business, analyst warns

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/002381.html

The London technology researcher Info Tech

**** these stupid assholes and their fake recommendations!

A whole raft of fake studies and recommendations from faceless
funded entities are now being readied with astroturfers leading
the charge against Skype led by of course micoshaft because
they want to take over the market share created by skype.

Old November 17th 05, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Phil Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:54:10 GMT, alexd wrote:

Why are you posting this tripe in here?

because its a voip group and Skype is a form of VoIP ?

That wasn't the point I was making. I was wondering why the OP thought
anybody in this September forum would want to read that kind of drivel.
That troll-like, self-publicising, thinly-disguised press release from Info
Tech is almost devoid of any merit whatsoever, and does not deserve to be
re-broadcast. On second thought, perhaps it does, so I can whinge about how
**** it is :-S

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:39:52 up 15 days, 2:14, 3 users, load average: 0.86, 0.77, 0.80

Old November 19th 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:45:26 GMT, alexd wrote:

It was a pun. One step on from an august forum.

http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Di...*&Query=august , look at
the adjective defintion.

I don't need the definition, now the slightly obscure pun has been
explained !

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old November 28th 05, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Don't people take responsibility for their own settings anymore? I
thought that's what the options were for. Instead of smearing Skype,
they should pay more attention to exposing the hackers.

Old January 16th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Phil Thompson wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 22:50:51 GMT, alexd wrote:

That wasn't the point I was making. I was wondering why the OP thought
anybody in this September forum would want to read that kind of drivel.

September forum ?

It was a pun. One step on from an august forum.

http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Di...*&Query=august , look at
the adjective defintion.

I was interested to read it, if only to see what feeds the minds of
corporate IT people that devote their lives to obstructing business in
the name of security.

Hahaha. I can just see the title of the next press release:
"Using Skype Lets The Terrorists Win; Also Indicated In Heroin Addiction,
Paedophilia".

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:39:18 up 15 days, 22:14, 3 users, load average: 0.98, 0.72, 0.57