point-to-point VOIP on a LAN

Old November 16th 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian B

Default point-to-point VOIP on a LAN

I have got a couple of basic USB IP phones. Is there any software out there
which would allow me to connect PC-to-PC without going via Skype or
whatever. In other words, I just want to "dial" an IP address on our LAN.

I've Googled, but found nothing. Any ideas?

Old November 17th 05, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:11:11 -0000, "Adrian B"
wrote:

I have got a couple of basic USB IP phones. Is there any software out there
which would allow me to connect PC-to-PC without going via Skype or
whatever. In other words, I just want to "dial" an IP address on our LAN.

any softphone client that allows IP dialling. X-ten Lite if you can
find it. Not sure which wil interact with your handheld USB soundcard.

Googling is a skill - try "direct IP dial SIP soft phone"

http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html " You can make direct free calls to
your party's IP-address using “PC-to-PC” services."

http://www.astricon.net/phone/ipbeta.php "Direct IP to IP calling"

etc

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old November 17th 05, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian B

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
Googling is a skill - try "direct IP dial SIP soft phone"

It is! I'm a pretty decent Googler, but unfortunately don't know enough
about VoiP to know the right keywords.

http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html " You can make direct free calls to
your party's IP-address using "PC-to-PC" services."

http://www.astricon.net/phone/ipbeta.php "Direct IP to IP calling"

Thanks for the links. I'll follow them up.

Regards,

Adrian

Old November 17th 05, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sparks

"Adrian B" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
Googling is a skill - try "direct IP dial SIP soft phone"

It is! I'm a pretty decent Googler, but unfortunately don't know enough
about VoiP to know the right keywords.

http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html " You can make direct free calls to
your party's IP-address using "PC-to-PC" services."

http://www.astricon.net/phone/ipbeta.php "Direct IP to IP calling"

Thanks for the links. I'll follow them up.

The other way is to install Asterisk on a PC, then you get a proper internal
phone system with support for outbound routing, and your internal extension
will get short numbers!

I use [email protected] (http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/)

Sparks...