Any experience of voip.co.uk

Old November 19th 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Adamson

Default Any experience of voip.co.uk

voip.co.uk have been advertising on tubes. I have had a look at their site,
and they have some decent offers, but seem to be far more closed in terms of
information than other providers like gradwell.

has anyone had any positive or negative experiences?

Thanks,
Mark

Old November 19th 05, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:50:31 -0000, "Mark Adamson"
wrote:

voip.co.uk have been advertising on tubes. I have had a look at their site,
and they have some decent offers, but seem to be far more closed in terms of
information than other providers like gradwell.

has anyone had any positive or negative experiences?

Thanks,
Mark

No, but thanks for th epointer to the web site.

+ point:-
Their T&Cs say that they do 999 ( within expected restrictions).

-point:-
Their T&Cs also state that they can make changes, at any time, to the
T&Cs, by a posting on the web site. I really think that it is not fair
to make any price increases, for example, without alerting the
customer, by email, or otherwise, to such changes.
Is there any consumer protection in this respect?

Having said that I think that their packages are very attractive.
Having paid 1.99, for a number, it is almost on-track as a 18866
look-alike - for the first hour of a call anyway - or so it seems,
unless there is something I have missed.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 19th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Mark Adamson" wrote in message
voip.co.uk have been advertising on tubes. I have had a look at their

site,
and they have some decent offers, but seem to be far more closed in terms

of
information than other providers like gradwell.

Having looked all over the site, They dont mention if they use per second or
per minute billing.
Worth checking before signing up

Ian

Old November 19th 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Zourzouvillys

Mark Adamson wrote:

I have had a look at their site,
and they have some decent offers, but seem to be far more closed in terms
of information than other providers like gradwell.

Hi Mark,

We launched 2 days ago, so are still busy adding content to the site.

I've personally been very busy with platform development so sadly the
technical section is rather lacking [1] - something i'll be addressing very
soon.

so, what sort of information would you be interested in? i'd be more than
happy to chase up the right people internally for non-technical content to
be added, and any other questions feel free to ask me.

Kind regards,

~ Theo

1 - My responsibility, argh!

--
Theo Zourzouvillys
Lead Technical Architect

Old November 19th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Zourzouvillys

"Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk wrote:

Having looked all over the site, They dont mention if they use per second
or per minute billing.
Worth checking before signing up

Hi Ian,

We do per second billing (and to 1/10th penny). I'll get this added to the
site.

Kind Regards,

~ Theo

--
Theo Zourzouvillys
Lead Technical Architect

Old November 19th 05, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:54:12 +0000, Theo Zourzouvillys
wrote:
happy to chase up the right people internally for non-technical content to
be added, and any other questions feel free to ask me.

I would just like to ask that if there are significant tariff or T&C
changes that customers are alerted by email . Even if the email does
not detail the changes a pointer ,to the relevant changes on the web
site, would be useful. It is really a matter of keeping customers
happy. If something is changed and people, unknowingly, run up more
charges than they expected then they won't be pleased. That is not
good for business.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 19th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

wrote:
happy to chase up the right people internally for non-technical content to
be added, and any other questions feel free to ask me.

I would just like to ask that if there are significant tariff or T&C
changes that customers are alerted by email . Even if the email does
not detail the changes a pointer ,to the relevant changes on the web
site, would be useful. It is really a matter of keeping customers
happy. If something is changed and people, unknowingly, run up more
charges than they expected then they won't be pleased. That is not
good for business.

...and I forgot to ask...is it possible to connect to other voip
networks?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 19th 05, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Zourzouvillys

Brian A wrote:

Their T&Cs also state that they can make changes, at any time, to the
T&Cs, by a posting on the web site. I really think that it is not fair
to make any price increases, for example, without alerting the
customer, by email, or otherwise, to such changes.
Is there any consumer protection in this respect?

Hi Brian,

I remember this came up internally, and was discussed at length; although i
can't remember exactly why these words were put in, i am positive it was
not for more sinister reasons.

We'll happily add a 'Notify me of T&C changes' (with a diff output or such)
and 'Notify me of rate changes' - and maybe in the future add support for
selecting only being notified on paticular rates changing - I'll ensure
that is added in next week.

Getting the terms and conditions themselves changed on the website will take
a little longer as they need to go via legal, but i will get the ball
rolling on monday.

Having said that I think that their packages are very attractive.
Having paid 1.99, for a number, it is almost on-track as a 18866
look-alike -

I've just looked at their site, as i'd not heard of them until now - nice
idea to optionally have the per minute rate called out before the call.

this could get a little complicated with unblended rates, but something i'll
request we get time to work on.

for the first hour of a call anyway - or so it seems,
unless there is something I have missed.

Thinking about it, one point that is maybe not so clear (that again i will
ensure is made more clear), is that the 60 minute UK calls can only take
place 1 at a time - i.e, you couldn't use 2 SIP devices to make 2 UK calls
at the same time for free - one of them will be charged [1].

However, you can add an extra UK 'pack' to your account - so if you want to
be able to make 2 calls at the same time and only pay the 2p/free for the
second call for up to 60 mins for both, you can buy an extra 'pack' at the
1.99/mon or 19.99/year inc VAT.

Other than that, I hope we've made everyhting clear on the site (minus the
few thigns that have been pointed out, which i will ensure are resolved),
so there shouldn't be anything you've missed.

On a closing note; voip.co.uk is not about cheap calls (althoguh our call
rates are low). we've been working for a long time on building an
impressive SIP platform that we can use to develop innovative new features
and push the real advantages that VoIP brings over PSTN within the UK (and
that doesn't just mean cheap calls!)

~ theo

1 - I'm already working on an optional message being played before any calls
that match this case.

--
Theo Zourzouvillys
Lead Technical Architect

Old November 20th 05, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Zourzouvillys

Brian A wrote:

..and I forgot to ask...is it possible to connect to other voip
networks?

Not currently, however i'm hoping this will happen soon

~ Theo

--
Theo Zourzouvillys
Lead Technical Architect

Old November 20th 05, 12:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Theo Zourzouvillys:

I've just looked at their site, as i'd not heard of them until now -
nice idea to optionally have the per minute rate called out before
the call.

Very surprised you haven't heard of 18866, been going a couple of years, well
known to us newsgroup and many forum board users.