Freetalk specific questions

Old November 20th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III

Default Freetalk specific questions

I asked freetalk some specific questions, but they just
said "we'll call you back" and never did.

1. For incoming calls, is the Freetalk adaptor working as a server,
listening for incoming connexions ? Do I thus have to have a fixed IP
address ?

2. Can I make computer-to-computer calls (assuming both are Freetalk
subscribers) or do I have to use a third party (Freetalk) ?

3. Can you really connect a BT caller display device to its telephone
port and get meaningful CLI ?

4. Does the Freetalk adaptor use their proprietary protocols ?

Richard [in PE12]
Old November 20th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Deag

"Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III" wrote in message
news:[email protected] e5.teranews.com...
I asked freetalk some specific questions, but they just
said "we'll call you back" and never did.

1. For incoming calls, is the Freetalk adaptor working as a server,
listening for incoming connexions ? Do I thus have to have a fixed IP
address ?

No need for a fixed IP address as far as I am aware. I do not have one and
it works fine

2. Can I make computer-to-computer calls (assuming both are Freetalk
subscribers) or do I have to use a third party (Freetalk) ?

If both are Freetalk subscribers you can call using the phone number and the
call is free, why you wouldant to make pc to pc calls I do not know

3. Can you really connect a BT caller display device to its telephone
port and get meaningful CLI ?

See other answer, not tried myself

4. Does the Freetalk adaptor use their proprietary protocols ?

Yup
Richard [in PE12]

Old November 21st 05, 02:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

The whole point or a registrar is to keep track of who is using what IP.
You should be able to call any std. SIP device, without either of you being
registered with anybody, just by the router IP number.
Start with hash, replace . with * end with hash.
e.g. #123*45*67*89#
Haven't got a Freetalk, so I can't swear that it works with their service.
Regards,
Martin

Old November 21st 05, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
AD C

Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III wrote:
I asked freetalk some specific questions, but they just
said "we'll call you back" and never did.

If they have said that to me and then did not, then I would not even
think about having anything to do with them.

1. For incoming calls, is the Freetalk adaptor working as a server,
listening for incoming connexions ? Do I thus have to have a fixed IP
address ?

2. Can I make computer-to-computer calls (assuming both are Freetalk
subscribers) or do I have to use a third party (Freetalk) ?

3. Can you really connect a BT caller display device to its telephone
port and get meaningful CLI ?

4. Does the Freetalk adaptor use their proprietary protocols ?

Richard [in PE12]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0546-6, 20/11/2005
Tested on: 21/11/2005 08:02:13

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0546-6, 20/11/2005
Tested on: 21/11/2005 08:03:01

Old November 21st 05, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2005-11-20, Deag wrote:

"Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III" wrote in message
news:[email protected] e5.teranews.com...

4. Does the Freetalk adaptor use their proprietary protocols ?

Yup

I thought the Freetalk service was SIP based. So shouldn't that be
'nope'?

Brian.
Old November 21st 05, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Martin²" wrote in message

The whole point or a registrar is to keep track of who is
using what IP. You should be able to call any std. SIP
device, without either of you being registered with
anybody, just by the router IP number. Start with hash, replace . with *
end with hash.
e.g. #123*45*67*89#
Haven't got a Freetalk, so I can't swear that it works
with their service. Regards,
Martin

What if (as is usually the case) the SIP device is on a private IP behind
a NAT router..? Mine is on 192.168.1.20 and has 2 phone ports, how would
you address the individual phones, if my public IP is dynamic and changes
every time I reboot (and sometimes more often, it seems to do it by itself
on occasion..!)

Ivor

Old November 21st 05, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan J. Flavell

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Ivor Jones wrote:

What if (as is usually the case) the SIP device is on a private IP
behind a NAT router..? Mine is on 192.168.1.20 and has 2 phone
ports, how would you address the individual phones, if my public IP
is dynamic and changes every time I reboot (and sometimes more
often, it seems to do it by itself on occasion..!)

That's why SIP (analogously to H.323) has provision to "register" with
a server (in H.323 it's called a "gatekeeper"), which maintains a
permanent identity by which you can be called, even though your IP is
changing.

People wanting to call you, will call you by means of your identity at
the SIP server. The SIP server will then direct their client to your
currently registered public IP and appropriate port number (which your
NAT gateway will forward to the appropriate private IP address).

That's roughly how it works.
Old November 21st 05, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Alan J. Flavell" wrote in message
. gla.ac.uk

[snip]

People wanting to call you, will call you by means of
your identity at the SIP server. The SIP server will
then direct their client to your currently registered
public IP and appropriate port number (which your NAT
gateway will forward to the appropriate private IP
address).

That's roughly how it works.

So how would I go about doing this..?

Ivor

Old November 21st 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan J. Flavell

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Ivor Jones wrote:

People wanting to call you, will call you by means of
your identity at the SIP server. The SIP server will
then direct their client to your currently registered
public IP and appropriate port number (which your NAT
gateway will forward to the appropriate private IP
address).

So how would I go about doing this..?

I can't speak specifically for Freetalk, but normally, when you sign
up with a SIP service, they give you some data to configure into your
SIP client, including their SIP service domain and your SIP number,
and the Internet address of their server.

You configure this into your SIP client, and then, when you
are running the client, it registers itself with their server,
and you can be called by anyone via your SIP "URI"
([email protected]_service_domain), no matter what your IP happens
to be at the time, even behind a NAT gateway.

Google suggests
http://www.zyxel.com/support/support...IP_Account.htm
showing these data being configured into a particular SIP client.

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/ as a starting point for all kinds
of information.

hope that helps a bit.
Old November 21st 05, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2005-11-21, Ivor Jones wrote:

"Martin²" wrote in message

The whole point or a registrar is to keep track of who is
using what IP. You should be able to call any std. SIP
device, without either of you being registered with
anybody, just by the router IP number. Start with hash, replace . with *
end with hash.
e.g. #123*45*67*89#
Haven't got a Freetalk, so I can't swear that it works
with their service. Regards,
Martin

What if (as is usually the case) the SIP device is on a private IP behind
a NAT router..? Mine is on 192.168.1.20 and has 2 phone ports, how would
you address the individual phones, if my public IP is dynamic and changes
every time I reboot (and sometimes more often, it seems to do it by itself
on occasion..!)

Two difficulties are presented here. The changing IP number and the
port numbers the SIP device listens on for incoming SIP signalling.
One solution might be for the recipient to put this information on a web
page.

What you say does not invalidate the point made but it does highlight
why a registrar is so useful in cases where an IP number changes or a
phone is on a port other than the standard one of 5060.

Brian.