voip calling uk mobile in germany

Old November 21st 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Smart

Default voip calling uk mobile in germany

Does anyone know if it is possible to call a uk mobile phone located in
germany without incurring roaming charges using one of the many voip service
providers?

Ian

Old November 21st 05, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Iain Miller

"Ian Smart" wrote in message
Does anyone know if it is possible to call a uk mobile phone located in
germany without incurring roaming charges using one of the many voip
service
providers?

Unlikely. The roaming charges will be levied by the mobile providers & I
can't see how you can bypass them. The German network (to which the phone is
logged in) will have to deliver the call & they will charge the UK network
provider who will charge the user. In fact the call will be routed through
the UK network provider because they hold the number & they will know that
the phone is in Germany & on a German network & so will charge a roaming
"call received rate" automatically.

I.

Old November 21st 05, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Marcel z maleho mesta

Go to phone box, text them the number )))

Philippe Deleye wrote:
"Iain Miller" wrote in message

Unlikely. The roaming charges will be levied by the mobile providers & I
can't see how you can bypass them. The German network (to which the phone

is

logged in) will have to deliver the call & they will charge the UK network
provider who will charge the user. In fact the call will be routed through
the UK network provider because they hold the number & they will know that
the phone is in Germany & on a German network & so will charge a roaming
"call received rate" automatically.

Correct. Roaming charges always apply if you receive calls while abroad.
VOIP cannot changes this
However, in some countries, roaming charges do not apply between phones
connected to the same network.
I had this recently in Singapo
situation:
Me (a Belgian user) calls a Hong-Kong colleague, both physically in
Singapore, and connected to the same SG provider
Normal situation:
* Belgian user calls a HK number: get charged for a international call form
SG to HK
* Hong Kong user get charged for the roaming fees for incoming calls in SG
In Singapore, I could call my HK colleague, using a prefix before the called
number (don't remember the code)
* Belgian user is charged for a local call in Singapore (cheapest rate:
inland rate between users of the same provider)
* Hong Kong user is not charged (calls were not passed trough HK)

I'm have not heard about such service in Germany.

By the way: all providers are technically able to provide such service. If 2
users are connected to the same network, it must technically be possible to
connect them WITHOUT routing via the original countries of those users. This
just adds unnecessary costs to the bill (which is of course not in the
interest of the providers to change this...)

Philippe
BE

Old November 21st 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lars Wolos

"Philippe Deleye" wrote:

Correct. Roaming charges always apply if you receive calls while abroad.

No. Use a sim card from http://www.united-mobile.com aka http://www.riiing.com/
and you will enjoy free incoming calls in 80 countries or so :-)

Besides, I've also got a Global Termination card from http://www.gt-sim.com/ -
they issue +447624 Manx Telecom numbers and incoming calls are free in the
user's country of origin, so for me, because I have a German address, incoming
calls on +447624... are free in Germany.

[roaming charges not applying between phones connected to the same network]
I'm have not heard about such service in Germany.

Unfortunately there isn't one, but you can buy as many dirt cheap pre-
registered payg sim cards off ebay as in the uk :-)

Best regards,
Lars