VOIP and TIVO

Old November 22nd 05, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Matt

Default VOIP and TIVO

Does anyone have any experience of getting TIVO to dial out over
asterisk, via the pstn connection to update its programme data.

I have a wired extension from the lounge to the asterisk box, which
then dials out over the bt pstn line.

I used to have an xp100 clone connected to the pstn, but that gave a
lot of crackle and echo.

The sipura 3000 gives a much clearer connection, but the tivo will not
dial out. It connects for about 80 seconds and then fails.

If I plug the tivo directly to the pstn socket in the wall (not very
convenient) it dials up ok.

Hope someone has been here before.

Thanks

Matthew

Old November 22nd 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Matt

Looks like I need to use the pstn passthrough function of the sipura
3000.

Can someone show me how to mod the dail plan to force all calls to
08081050005 over the pstn?

I've got..

(192:08000192190|118xxx:08000192190|[2-79]11:@gw0|xx.|*xx.|**xx.|#,:*xx.:@gw0|#,:*xx :@gw0)

I've tried to prefix the number being dialed with a #, but the call
failed after 3 seconds!

Many thanks

Matthew

Old November 22nd 05, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Matt wrote:
| Looks like I need to use the pstn passthrough function of the sipura
| 3000.
|
| Can someone show me how to mod the dail plan to force all calls to
| 08081050005 over the pstn?
|
| I've got..

(192:08000192190|118xxx:08000192190|[2-79]11:@gw0|xx.|*xx.|**xx.|#,:*xx.:@gw0|#,:*xx :@gw0)

| I've tried to prefix the number being dialed with a #, but the call
| failed after 3 seconds!
|
| Many thanks
|
| Matthew

Wouldn't you just need something like 08081050005:@gw0 in the string?

It's a while since I played with the dial plan..................

Looking at the one you're using (as am I) it looks like [2-79]11 should be
999 instead.

Old November 22nd 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Matt

Thanks, will give that a try!

Matt

Old November 22nd 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Matt

Listening to the dialup process, the problem seems to be the double
dialtone effect, whcih confuses the TIVO unit into thinking its
connected and initiating the handshake.

Old November 22nd 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Matt wrote:
|| Listening to the dialup process, the problem seems to be the double
|| dialtone effect, whcih confuses the TIVO unit into thinking its
|| connected and initiating the handshake.

Can you program the TIVO to prefix the call with a * or # ?

Why can't you just hook it directly into the PSTN socket?

Old November 22nd 05, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Matt

Because it is downstairs and all the downstairs sockets are now
connected to the AAH box. Might have to install a direct pstn
extension for the box.

Old November 22nd 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Matt wrote:
|| Because it is downstairs and all the downstairs sockets are now
|| connected to the AAH box. Might have to install a direct pstn
|| extension for the box.

Ahh. Thought there may be a good reason.

Have you got a spare pair of wires in your existing extension? Save running
a new cable.

Old November 22nd 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III

Matt wrote:
Listening to the dialup process, the problem seems to be the double
dialtone effect, whcih confuses the TIVO unit into thinking its
connected and initiating the handshake.

Stupid question on my part..
but what is a TIVO ? I thought this was one of those personal
TV recorder thingummies, and was a TM.

I've heard the word used in relation to WLAN adaptors as well.

Of course, you *could* use a TIVO PVR with these things, but is this what is
really meant ?

Richard [in PE12]
Old November 22nd 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Matt

Even better idea!