VOIP Web dialer

Old November 22nd 05, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
chum

Default VOIP Web dialer

All,

I have this task of making a web dialer. A dialer that can be used to
make PC to PC and PC to PSTN calls using internet without downloading
any software(through a url). It should work for browsers like ie,
netscape, firefox etc.

My understanding is - i would either have to use Java Applet or ActiveX
componenet.
1. Which would be a better option to use?
2. Whichever is the best option - can anyone give me pointers of how
to go about it.
Note - I have a com library for codec support.

Regards,
chum

Old November 23rd 05, 02:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Vonage have got one on their website, maybe you can have peek...
(haven't seen it, not a customer, but seems a good idea)
Regards,
Martin

Old November 23rd 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

chum wrote:

All,

I have this task of making a web dialer. A dialer that can be used to
make PC to PC and PC to PSTN calls using internet without downloading
any software(through a url). It should work for browsers like ie,
netscape, firefox etc.

My understanding is - i would either have to use Java Applet or ActiveX
componenet.
1. Which would be a better option to use?
2. Whichever is the best option - can anyone give me pointers of how
to go about it.
Note - I have a com library for codec support.

ActiveX will only ever work with IE on Windows, a horribly clap-ridden
platform that nobody in their right mind should be using. It's basically
the same as running an executable in a browser window.

Probably Java would be your best bet. If you're brave, you could try Flash
or AJAX ;-)

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:41:25 up 20 days, 22:16, 4 users, load average: 0.78, 0.81, 0.68

Old November 25th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
chum

Thanks,
1. yes, java(applets) would be the right option for making it browser
independent. However, with that i would need codec library for
G729,GSM,G711 etc. written in java. I wonder if thats available at all.
I am not getting any information on the same.inputs?

2. Would it mandatory to use 'java' Sip Library as well?

Shelly