Connecting a USB adaptor to route a Skype call to a telephone system...?

Old November 24th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian B

Default Connecting a USB adaptor to route a Skype call to a telephone system...?

Here is the plan....

I have a PC sat next to outlet from company internal telephone system (an
analogue one). The PC runs Skype with a USB - Analogue phone adaptor (the
type you can plug an ordinary phone into).

If I connect the Phone port of the USB adaptor to an analogue extention port
on the telephone system - hey presto - I can "Skype into" the company phone
system from home and dial an extention.....

..... except it doesn't work.

The call is answered by the PC, but instead of the expected "internal" dial
tone, I get nothing.

Do I need a "cross-over" cable between the USB adaptor and the phone wall
socket?

There was me thinking I was being clever... doh!

Any ideas?

Adrian

Old November 25th 05, 01:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sparks

"Adrian B" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Here is the plan....

I have a PC sat next to outlet from company internal telephone system (an
analogue one). The PC runs Skype with a USB - Analogue phone adaptor (the
type you can plug an ordinary phone into).

That's the problem ;-)

If I connect the Phone port of the USB adaptor to an analogue extention
port on the telephone system - hey presto - I can "Skype into" the company
phone system from home and dial an extention.....

.... except it doesn't work.

Yup, it won't ;-)

The call is answered by the PC, but instead of the expected "internal"
dial tone, I get nothing.

Do I need a "cross-over" cable between the USB adaptor and the phone wall
socket?

Nope ;-)

There was me thinking I was being clever... doh!

Any ideas?

Adrian

You are effectively connecting two OUTPUTS together here.
both are designed for a phone to be plugged into them, not another line.

You need to find an analogue INPUT to your telephone system and connect to
that!

Sparks...

Old November 25th 05, 06:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
jim

Adrian B wrote:
Here is the plan....

I have a PC sat next to outlet from company internal telephone system (an
analogue one). The PC runs Skype with a USB - Analogue phone adaptor (the
type you can plug an ordinary phone into).

If I connect the Phone port of the USB adaptor to an analogue extention port
on the telephone system - hey presto - I can "Skype into" the company phone
system from home and dial an extention.....

.... except it doesn't work.

The call is answered by the PC, but instead of the expected "internal" dial
tone, I get nothing.

Do I need a "cross-over" cable between the USB adaptor and the phone wall
socket?

There was me thinking I was being clever... doh!

Any ideas?

Adrian

Good idea Adrien, but you need to look at it in a slightly different way.
I think you just said that you can plug an analogue phone into the
Phone-USB adapter (connected via the usb port) and so connect to skype
Right?
You can also plug an analogue phone into a PABX [Private Automatic
Branch Exchange] extension LINE as well.
So Think of the phone adaptor as being a kind of extension LINE where
you can connect a phone to.
What you are trying to do is connect a (skype) LINE to a (pabx) LINE. It
just doesn't work.

However, if you can get access to an unused LINE connection of your PABX
and connect skype to that, then it could conceivably work.
However, you would need to configure it so you could get access from
your work extension by dialling a separate access level other than the
normal dial out number.
Also, when skyping in from home, it would appear as an incoming call
answered by the operator unless your system allows outside calls to dial
internally.

Good luck,
Jim Ellis
Old November 25th 05, 07:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
peter

Adrian B wrote:

There was me thinking I was being clever... doh!

Any ideas?

Adrian

What you need is another gizmo : a "Skype gateway". Just google for it,
and you'll find plenty It allows Skype calls to be funnelled into a
normal phone, and vice-versa.

Old November 25th 05, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Adrian B"
wrote in message news:[email protected]
Here is the plan....

I have a PC sat next to outlet from company internal
telephone system (an analogue one). The PC runs Skype
with a USB - Analogue phone adaptor (the type you can
plug an ordinary phone into).
If I connect the Phone port of the USB adaptor to an
analogue extention port on the telephone system - hey
presto - I can "Skype into" the company phone system from
home and dial an extention.....
.... except it doesn't work.

The call is answered by the PC, but instead of the
expected "internal" dial tone, I get nothing.

Do I need a "cross-over" cable between the USB adaptor
and the phone wall socket?

There was me thinking I was being clever... doh!

Any ideas?

Adrian

As others have said, it isn't going to work, you're connecting two
extensions together. You need to connect into a spare exchange line port
of your PABX. I have two Sipgate "lines" connected into my PABX in just
this way. Incidentally, Skype really isn't the best platform for this sort
of thing, you really ought to use something SIP based that doesn't require
a PC on all the time.

Note also that you won't normally get internal dial tone when you connect
to an exchange line port, you'll get answered by reception, the
switchboard or whoever normally answers incoming outside calls. It is
possible on some PABX's to arrange for an incoming circuit to get internal
dial tone, but it has to be specially programmed.

Ivor

Old November 25th 05, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
peter

Really ? ahem : http://skype.net.cn/product%20GW90%20English.htm

Old November 25th 05, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian B

Thanks everyone for your input.

In fact, the situation is a little more complicated - the Skype idea was an
attempt to do this in a quick and dirty way.

We already have a working VoIP system between our two main sites, using
pairs of Microtel VoiceXtender (ROLI/RILO) boxes at each end, fed by two
pairs of lines from our PABX at each site. That all works fine giving us two
lines in each direction. Ideally, I'd like our home-workers to be able to
hook into that system. I bought a couple of USB Skype phones to try, but got
nowhere. The Microtel boxes aparently use H323 (which I realise is different
to Skype). I've tried a couple of VoIP clients including MS NetMeeting, but
have got nowhere.

I'm testing this all on the LAN, not remotely, so firewalls and NAT are not
an issue. The home workers are connected using a PPTP VPN, so that shouldn't
be a problem anyway.

The suppliers of the Microtel boxes want to sell me more boxes for each of
our home users, but that seems overkill - hence my idea of doing a
Heath-Robinson job with Skype...

Adrian

Old November 25th 05, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian B

"peter" wrote in message
ups.com...

What you need is another gizmo : a "Skype gateway". Just google for it,
and you'll find plenty It allows Skype calls to be funnelled into a
normal phone, and vice-versa.

That's what I have :
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...6125&doy=25m11

There is a Line socket on there but as far as I can see from the sparse
documentation, all I can do is choose either a skype call or a PSTN/PBX
call - what I can't do is route Skype calls to or from the Line socket.

Perhaps I'm missing something here...

Adrian

Old November 25th 05, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"peter" wrote in message
oups.com
Really ? ahem :