Sipgate / NETGEAR TA612V

Old November 27th 05, 01:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

Default Sipgate / NETGEAR TA612V

I'm thinking of getting a Sipgate free number and a NETGEAR TA612V adaptor,
so as to be able to receive incoming calls and to make calls via a standard
DECT phone plugged into the adaptor.

Have at present a standard combined broadband 'modem' and integral router,
capable of providing several wireless and several hard-wired network
connections.

Am I correct in thinking that the Netgear TA612V could be connected via a
standard ethernet patch cable to one of the network sockets on the
modem/router? Would an ordinary patch cable be adequate, if so?

I read somewhere in the group that a UK-spec phone may not necessarily work
properly in such a set-up (may not ring when an incoming call is received)
as the equipment expects a US-spec phone. Is this the case (as I'm hoping to
use a Binatone DECT phone) and is there a work-around if so?

Any helpful comments appreciated (these things are not entirely clear in the
online product literature).

Regards,

--
Paul

Old November 27th 05, 01:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Yes, std. patch cable, it may even be included ?
Few (older ?) phones do not ring (due to different ways US and our phones
are made to ring),
but most do.
Please note that the Netgear will be locked to sipgate, which could be
problem at some time in the future.
Perhaps Linksys PAP2 would be better bet (but don't buy a Vonage one - yes,
locked to Vonage !).
Personally I favour VoIP equipped routers, you get QoS and sometimes PSTN
pass trough.
Regards,
Martin

Old November 27th 05, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Paul" wrote in message

I'm thinking of getting a Sipgate free number and a
NETGEAR TA612V adaptor, so as to be able to receive
incoming calls and to make calls via a standard DECT
phone plugged into the adaptor.
Have at present a standard combined broadband 'modem' and
integral router, capable of providing several wireless
and several hard-wired network connections.

Am I correct in thinking that the Netgear TA612V could be
connected via a standard ethernet patch cable to one of
the network sockets on the modem/router? Would an
ordinary patch cable be adequate, if so?

The TA612V is not designed to plug into an existing router, it prefers to
be the router itself and plug into a modem. They work fine with cable
modems but I've known several people have problems with ADSL modems and
routers.

For your situation I would recommend a unit like the AVM Fritz!Box Fon
which you can see on the shop page on Sipgate's site. They do both wired
and wireless versions. They have a single ethernet port so you'd need an
external switch to connect more wired devices, but they are cheap enough
these days. There are two independent phone ports and the device will
accept details of up to 10 SIP accounts, all with different providers if
you like. They are not the cheapest around but they do work, I have had
one in continuous use here for the last three months with no problems at
all. I even have a Sipura 2000 plugged into the switch connected to the
LAN port for an additional two numbers..!

I read somewhere in the group that a UK-spec phone may
not necessarily work properly in such a set-up (may not
ring when an incoming call is received) as the equipment
expects a US-spec phone. Is this the case (as I'm hoping
to use a Binatone DECT phone) and is there a work-around
if so?

No problems with UK phones on any of my equipment, although if the
impedance of the FXS port is configurable (as it is on Sipura ATA's) make
sure it is set to UK spec 270+750||150nF.

Ivor

(replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

Old November 27th 05, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

I keep reading that 370+620||310nF is used in the UK.

Old November 27th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message
. uk
Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:

[snip]

No problems with UK phones on any of my equipment,
although if the impedance of the FXS port is
configurable (as it is on Sipura ATA's) make sure it is
set to UK spec 270+750||150nF.

I keep reading that 370+620||310nF is used in the UK.

I was told the 270 setting, in any case that's what I use and I have no
problems..!

Ivor