voipcheap & soundcard setup

Old November 29th 05, 04:29 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Default voipcheap & soundcard setup

Thus spaketh Michael Klontzas:
I thought I would give voipcheap.co.uk a try and to my surprise I
realised that my soundcard, integrated with my motherboard, doesn't
have a mic connector! After I changed my motherboard I didn't need a
mic until now and it never occurred to me a manufacturer would cut
corners by leaving this out! (there is a line-in connector though).

So, I am thinking of getting a very cheap soundcard, complete with a
mic connector, and get it to run in parallel with my existing
soundcard. I would use that just for VoIP apps. As I understand it,
I'll simply get more output device options in Windows (right?) but
how likely is I'll get a conflict? Then a headset would probably be a
good idea. Is there something I am missing here? What sort of sound
quality should I expect if it works at all? Has anyone tried them
already?

TIA

Why not plug the mic into the line-in?
Old November 29th 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 04:29:38 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

[...]

Usually because a 'line' input is not sensitive enough for many
microphones. Originally 'line' implied 1mw, nominally 775mV into 600
Ohms. Whilst that definition may have wavered it still holds true that
the line input on many sound cards is of low sensitivity.
I do know someone, who uses a condenser(capacitor) microphone, who
upped the polarising voltage to achieve a greater output.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 29th 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Ned Abell

wrote:
Thus spaketh Michael Klontzas:

[Snip]
So, I am thinking of getting a very cheap soundcard,
complete with a mic connector, and get it to run in
parallel with my existing soundcard. I would use that
just for VoIP apps. As I understand it, I'll simply get
more output device options in Windows (right?) but how
likely is I'll get a conflict? Then a headset would
probably be a good idea. Is there something I am missing
here? What sort of sound quality should I expect if it
works at all? Has anyone tried them already?

Why not plug the mic into the line-in?

Usually because a 'line' input is not sensitive enough for
many microphones.

[Snip]

Many mic inputs on sound cards also can suffer from electrical
interference because of poor shielding so consider a USB
headset as it digitises the sound outside the computer.
A plantronics one here works well with good sound quality and
as it configures as another sound device its possible to use
speakers for music etc and the USB headphones for phone (which
also leaves the hands free for typing).

--
besters
Ned