Uk calls to South Africa

Old November 29th 05, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Uk calls to South Africa

I'm looking for the ability to divert all my calls from my UK landline
to me whilst I spend 12 weeks in South Africa.

The caller should pay no more than Uk phone rate, I will pick up the
extra cost

In South Africa, I will have my laptop with only dialup access and
onspeed

Any ideas, or useful places for me to start searching

TIA

Old November 29th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joao Saraiva

I would suggest you to divert your present landline to a UK number from
Skype. Then you will pick up call / listen to the voice moil wherever you
are in the world.
I hope this helps
JS

ups.com...

Old November 29th 05, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

On 2005-11-29,
wrote:

I'm looking for the ability to divert all my calls from
my UK landline to me whilst I spend 12 weeks in South
Africa.

Obtain a 01, 02 or 056 number. Magrathea
Telecommunications with their
www.uknumber.co.uk site is
one place to look. Email them if you do not see exactly
what you want. An alternative is www.voxhub.com.

The caller should pay no more than Uk phone rate, I
will pick up the extra cost

With a BT line and the right telecoms provider a 056
number can be phoned at the same rate as a geographic
number.

In South Africa, I will have my laptop with only dialup
access and onspeed

Sign up for a free voip account and get a SIP address.
Voiptalk, Gossiptel and Callunion will do this. Have
your phone number point to your SIP address.

Install some SIP software and set it up for your chosen
VoIP provider. Choose a low bandwidth codec.

Even with a low bandwidth codec, SIP over a dialup connection will be
flaky to say the least. Skype has been known to work on dialup, but I
can't in all honesty recommend it except for emergencies. If you want to
go that route, look at getting a Skype-In number, it will be an 020 London
prefix I think.

Any ideas, or useful places for me to start searching

Test your setup before leaving. It should work in South
Africa if it works here.

VoIP providers may also give you a UK telephone number
with a SIP account. The ones above all do. Sipgate does
it for free. A backup account is something to consider.

Sipgate, as with most SIP services, requires a broadband connection.

Ivor

Old November 29th 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Brian" wrote in message

[snip]

As for Skype, if it does work well with a low bandwidth,
and it claims to, I cannot understand why it should be
for emergency use only.

Because it requires a PC to be on. I don't much care for systems that
require a PC.

You would have to point me at the relevant part of
Sipgate's website to convince me that broadband is a
requirement for their service. I see they do support
some low bandwidth codecs; as do Gossiptel, Vonage and
others.

Well it *might* work, but Sipgate say not, see he

http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.p...ubrik=120#num4

See the 2nd paragraph in clause 4. It *might* work on dialup, I've never
tried it so I don't know, but I'd guess it would be rather flaky.

Ivor

Old November 29th 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
cjd

Get an free account with Voipfone (www.voipfone.co.uk).
You get given a free 056 UK number.
Callers pay UK charges to dial it.
Set call divert to whatever ordinary telephone you are near in South
Africa using your laptop - change it whenever you need to. You pay
3.6p/min (inc VAT) to receive the UK call.

If you can't be reached you get left a message on free voicemail which
is also converted to MP3 and sent to your email.

If you can find a broadband connection of course you can use their free
softphone to take the calls directly (for free) on your laptop.

If you need to phone out, use their web call product to hi-jack any
ordinary telephone and connect your call from your account.

You can try the softphone using the low bandwidth codec but it's not
going to be a good experience.