Best VOIP Provider

Old November 30th 05, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Me

Default Best VOIP Provider

Hi,

I am looking for a VOIP provider. I have a VOIP enabled router.

I have heard of Sipgate and Vonage but are there others, that provide
a local incoming number that I should consider?

Thanks

Me
Old November 30th 05, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:38:35 +0000, wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a VOIP provider. I have a VOIP enabled router.

I have heard of Sipgate and Vonage but are there others, that provide
a local incoming number that I should consider?

Thanks

Me

Voipfone are quite reliable and have good working features.

voip.co.uk have some attractive pricing and seem to be reliable but
are are new and still getting it together. Not all the services listed
on their site are available to all yet - e.g. voicemail.
Call forwarding, last time I tried it via my ATA, didn't work yet
either. For general incoming/outgoing calls voip.co.uk is good.
In time they could be a main player but they made the mistake of
launching before they have sorted out the services.My impression is it
is rather like launching a restaurant without having tried out all the
recipies and thus only offering a cut-down menu, some of the equipment
not working in the kitchen and limited staff to sort it.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 30th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Me

Thanks for that info Brian.

It looks good

Me

Old November 30th 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Blessing

Remember VOIP can't be more reliable than your broadband ISP & router.
Your connection & setup may be as important as to your VOIP provider.

A key factor for me is the option to automatically divert calls to another
number (e.g.your mobile) if your network is down. Not all offer this (Vonage
do, some others may also). Obviously you pay the cost of the diverted call
in this case.

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.outlook-find-replace.com - Find & Replace in Emails, Contacts,
Appointments, Tasks and Notes
http://www.schedule-email.com - Schedule multiple individual
emails/newsletters

Old November 30th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
oups.com
wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:38:35 +0000, wrote:

Forget Sipgate but there are three very reliable ones
Vonage has you have mentioned Freetalk and Voipfone
keep well away from Sipgate unless you want loads of
aggravation due to very poor service .

Forget Dexter as his Sipgate problems may be his setup or
imagination. Quite good here in 6 months use (one major
six hour outage recorded) - apart from the diabolical
Voicemail. Support ok if you are happy with email and the
consequent day or so response - but this is of little
help in an emergency.

He isn't even a customer any more, he even got a refund of unused credit
from them and they usually have a no refunds policy. He's still not happy.

Apart from a few occasional blips, Sipgate has been fine for me on 4
separate numbers for several months.

If it is mission critical than Vonage has to be a strong
contender with their CS but, of course, you can't switch
their kit (or Freetalk's) to another provider should they
become unreliable.

I'd recommend Gradwell for business use.

Remember VOIP can't be more reliable than your broadband
ISP & router. Your connection & setup may be as important
as to your VOIP provider.

Indeed. A lot of problems are blamed on the VoIP provider that are down to
either the user's ISP or, more usually, their (mis)configuration of their
equipment.

Ivor

Old November 30th 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Me wrote:

I am looking for a VOIP provider. I have a VOIP enabled router.

I have heard of Sipgate and Vonage but are there others, that provide
a local incoming number that I should consider?

One thing to look out for is whether the service you choose will work
with standard ATAs and VoIP routers or will you have to buy a device
that's specific to their service?

Vonage and FreeTalk have good backing and provide a reliable service,
but you need to buy their own-branded locked-to-their-service ATAs or
routers - not much use if you want to change providers or experiment a
bit with several different ones. And not much good for you if you want
to use your existing router...

Providers like Sipgate, Gradwell, Voipfone and VoIP.co.uk will sell you
a preconfigured ATA/router if you wish, but you don't have to buy one
from them if you don't want to, and even if you do you can change the
settings for another provider.

Sipgate get mixed reviews here, but for someone who has, or intends to
get, their own unlocked ATA it won't cost much to give them a try.

Gradwell aim themselves primarily at small/medium sized businesses, and
base their offering on a sensible business model, so although they do
offer a single user account there is a monthly " line rental" and they
don't do any calls-included packages.

Voipfone I haven't used, but they seem to be well liked in this group.

VoIP.co.uk are the new boys on the block. Their basic service seems
very reliable so far, their calls-inclusive packages are attractive and
they plan to offer a fairly wide range of services. However, their
offering is still undergoing a bit of development work, which has it's
pluses and minuses - you get the chance to influence things via
feedback, but things might not work quite as expected initially. If
they've done their sums properly they'll be ones to look out for.

Old November 30th 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Me

Thank you Dave for a very full and interesting response.

I will investigate www.voip.co.uk and www.voipfone.co.uk

Regards

Me

Old November 30th 05, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

Brian A wrote:
[...]

When i use the voip.co.uk service, outgoing calls ring with US tone, and
dont end when i hang up!
Old November 30th 05, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Sean wrote:

When i use the voip.co.uk service, outgoing calls ring with US tone, and
dont end when i hang up!

Yes, I've noticed that when I ring someone from my VoIP.co.uk account
the ringback pattern I hear is the US one, but that's not what the
called party will hear (that will depend on their equipment).

Not noticed the hang-up problem here.