IP phone Q.

Old December 1st 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Default IP phone Q.

Phil Partridge wrote:
|| In article , Jono
|| writes
||| How're you coping with port forwarding to several phones?
||| It sounds to me like you could do with an Asterisk Server.
|| I'm not..
|| I have wired the office, and supplied an 8 port switch.
|| The router and phones have been supplied by a.n.other.
|| Used to look after an Ultrix system, but didn't get very far with an
|| early Linux distro.. Haven't had the time since, so wouldn't know where
|| to start with Asterisk.
|| In theory, the Client should save shouldn't they?
|| Asterisk box would come with the baggage of a service contract, need
|| space, care and attention. - Something lacking at this site.
|| Thanks for input though,
|| Phil Partridge

If you're using SIP phones, each phone will need a number of unique ports
forwarding to it, otherwise you will experience what you describe.

The advantage you would have using asterisk is that you only need to forward
one lot of relevant ports to the * server & the phones will all happily
coexist on the internal network.

If you're not familiar with Linux, have a look at [email protected] - it's
asterisk & linux on cd - installs one, then the other very simply.

Also, a good resource for all things voip is
http://voxilla.com - the forums
in particular.

x-posted to uk.t.voip

Old December 2nd 05, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Phil Partridge

In article , Jono
writes

Phil Partridge wrote:
|| In article , Jono
|| writes
||| How're you coping with port forwarding to several phones?
||| It sounds to me like you could do with an Asterisk Server.
|| I'm not..
|| I have wired the office, and supplied an 8 port switch.
|| The router and phones have been supplied by a.n.other.
|| Used to look after an Ultrix system, but didn't get very far with an
|| early Linux distro.. Haven't had the time since, so wouldn't know where
|| to start with Asterisk.
|| In theory, the Client should save shouldn't they?
|| Asterisk box would come with the baggage of a service contract, need
|| space, care and attention. - Something lacking at this site.
|| Thanks for input though,
|| Phil Partridge

If you're using SIP phones, each phone will need a number of unique ports
forwarding to it, otherwise you will experience what you describe.

The advantage you would have using asterisk is that you only need to forward
one lot of relevant ports to the * server & the phones will all happily
coexist on the internal network.

If you're not familiar with Linux, have a look at [email protected] - it's
asterisk & linux on cd - installs one, then the other very simply.

Also, a good resource for all things voip is
http://voxilla.com - the forums
in particular.

x-posted to uk.t.voip

Hi Guys,

I will *try* to find time to read up more, honest..

So, port forwarding.. Are we talking router, or phone configuration
here?
Phones are set:
Local SIP port: 5060 (default)
Local RTP port: 5004 (1024-65535, default 5004)
Use random port: Yes
NAT Transversal: Yes, STUN Server is stun.gmx.net

Before they set 'use random' to 'on', did have a case of two of us
dialling out and ending up talking to each other.

TIA,
Philip Partridge
Old December 2nd 05, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Phil Partridge" wrote in message
In article , Jono
writes

Phil Partridge wrote:
|| In article , Jono
|| writes
||| How're you coping with port forwarding to several phones?
||| It sounds to me like you could do with an Asterisk Server.
|| I'm not..
|| I have wired the office, and supplied an 8 port switch.
|| The router and phones have been supplied by a.n.other.
|| Used to look after an Ultrix system, but didn't get very far with an
|| early Linux distro.. Haven't had the time since, so wouldn't know where
|| to start with Asterisk.
|| In theory, the Client should save shouldn't they?
|| Asterisk box would come with the baggage of a service contract, need
|| space, care and attention. - Something lacking at this site.
|| Thanks for input though,
|| Phil Partridge

If you're using SIP phones, each phone will need a number of unique ports
forwarding to it, otherwise you will experience what you describe.

The advantage you would have using asterisk is that you only need to
forward
one lot of relevant ports to the * server & the phones will all happily
coexist on the internal network.

If you're not familiar with Linux, have a look at [email protected] - it's
asterisk & linux on cd - installs one, then the other very simply.

Also, a good resource for all things voip is
http://voxilla.com - the
forums
in particular.

x-posted to uk.t.voip

Hi Guys,

I will *try* to find time to read up more, honest..

So, port forwarding.. Are we talking router, or phone configuration
here?
Phones are set:
Local SIP port: 5060 (default)
Local RTP port: 5004 (1024-65535, default 5004)
Use random port: Yes
NAT Transversal: Yes, STUN Server is stun.gmx.net

Before they set 'use random' to 'on', did have a case of two of us
dialling out and ending up talking to each other.

TIA,
Philip Partridge

Which VSP are you using? Is it a German one?

I would ensure each phone has a unique port in the 50xx range forwarded in
the router & set up in the phone, at the very least.