VoIP and Wireless Data

Old December 2nd 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Cam

Default VoIP and Wireless Data

G'day NG,

I'm looking into VoIP as a cheap alternative to PSTN using the Sipura
SA-3000 adaptor. As this will be running into a router (currently a Netgear
FM-114P), do I need to upgrade to a different router to support VoIP or does
it just it not matter? Does the FM-114P support VoIP?

Thanks,

Cam

Old December 2nd 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Cam" wrote in message
G'day NG,

I'm looking into VoIP as a cheap alternative to PSTN using the Sipura
SA-3000 adaptor. As this will be running into a router (currently a
Netgear
FM-114P), do I need to upgrade to a different router to support VoIP or
does
it just it not matter? Does the FM-114P support VoIP?

Thanks,

Cam

Any router /should/ work. However, some are capable of providing QoS within
your network (not on the internet itself, though, obviously)

Old December 2nd 05, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Cam

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..

| "Cam" wrote in message
| G'day NG,
|
| I'm looking into VoIP as a cheap alternative to PSTN using the Sipura
| SA-3000 adaptor. As this will be running into a router (currently a
| Netgear
| FM-114P), do I need to upgrade to a different router to support VoIP or
| does
| it just it not matter? Does the FM-114P support VoIP?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Cam
|

| Any router /should/ work. However, some are capable of providing QoS
within
| your network (not on the internet itself, though, obviously)

Fair 'nuf.

Thanks Jono

Old December 3rd 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Cam wrote:

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..

| "Cam" wrote in message
| G'day NG,
|
| I'm looking into VoIP as a cheap alternative to PSTN using the Sipura

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Took me a few minutes to stop laughing after I read that!

| SA-3000 adaptor. As this will be running into a router (currently a
| Netgear
| FM-114P), do I need to upgrade to a different router to support VoIP
| or does
| it just it not matter? Does the FM-114P support VoIP?

| Any router /should/ work. However, some are capable of providing QoS
| within your network (not on the internet itself, though, obviously)

Fair 'nuf.

If your router can forward ports to, or DMZ your Sipura [or any SIP client
for that matter], then that router 'supports' VoIP.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
09:42:00 up 4 days, 10:49, 1 user, load average: 0.49, 0.45, 0.24

Old December 3rd 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"alexd" wrote in message

Cam wrote:

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..

"Cam" wrote in message
G'day NG,

I'm looking into VoIP as a cheap alternative to
PSTN using the Sipura

Took me a few minutes to stop laughing after I read that!

Why's that..? It's a lot cheaper for me, most of the people I call are
also using it so the calls are totally free..!

If your router can forward ports to, or DMZ your Sipura
[or any SIP client for that matter], then that router
'supports' VoIP.

But one that gives QoS to VoIP works better.

Ivor