Sipgate overcharging?

Old December 2nd 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Rankin

Default Sipgate overcharging?

I've just been going through my call logs and comparing them with the
ones on sipgates statement and all their call times are more than mine.

Eg. according to cdr a call was made at 05/11/30 11:39 that was for
185 billable seconds and 200 seconds from dial attempt to hang up,
sipgate billed for 190 seconds.

More alarmingly.

At 15:13 today, I made a call that wasn't answered but rang for 33
seconds and I was billed 20 seconds for it. (so the call was charged
when it shouldn't have been).
At 15:14 today, I made a call that lasted 7 seconds and had 16 seconds
from dial attempt, I was billed for 11 seconds.

I am trying to write a quick report tool to let me see how many minutes
are left, and this is making it very awkward.

Has anybody else been finding this?
Old December 2nd 05, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Thomas Rankin wrote:
|| I've just been going through my call logs and comparing them with the
|| ones on sipgates statement and all their call times are more than mine.
|| Eg. according to cdr a call was made at 05/11/30 11:39 that was for
|| 185 billable seconds and 200 seconds from dial attempt to hang up,
|| sipgate billed for 190 seconds.
|| More alarmingly.
|| At 15:13 today, I made a call that wasn't answered but rang for 33
|| seconds and I was billed 20 seconds for it. (so the call was charged
|| when it shouldn't have been).
|| At 15:14 today, I made a call that lasted 7 seconds and had 16 seconds
|| from dial attempt, I was billed for 11 seconds.
|| I am trying to write a quick report tool to let me see how many minutes
|| are left, and this is making it very awkward.
|| Has anybody else been finding this?

Mistakes are very easily made - with roundings, minimums, inc VAT, exc VAT.

Did you take this up with Sipgate directly, before giving the resident
Sipgate bashers a bandwagon to jump on?

Old December 2nd 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Thomas Rankin" wrote in
message
I've just been going through my call logs and comparing
them with the ones on sipgates statement and all their
call times are more than mine.
Eg. according to cdr a call was made at 05/11/30 11:39
that was for 185 billable seconds and 200 seconds from
dial attempt to hang up, sipgate billed for 190 seconds.

More alarmingly.

At 15:13 today, I made a call that wasn't answered but
rang for 33 seconds and I was billed 20 seconds for it.
(so the call was charged when it shouldn't have been).
At 15:14 today, I made a call that lasted 7 seconds and
had 16 seconds from dial attempt, I was billed for 11
seconds.
I am trying to write a quick report tool to let me see
how many minutes are left, and this is making it very
awkward.
Has anybody else been finding this?

I'm not quite sure what you are experiencing, but are you aware that
Sipgate bills for PSTN calls by the minute, not the second..? Could this
account for it..?

Ivor

Old December 2nd 05, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Rankin

Ivor Jones wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you are experiencing, but are you aware that
Sipgate bills for PSTN calls by the minute, not the second..? Could this
account for it..?

Ivor

Fraid not, I'm comparing what their site says and what the asterisk
logger is recording.

The difference is probably very small (since as you say it's per minute
billing, it's unlikely that there is a significant difference).

The strange thing is, if I look at longer phone calls (across the whole
time I've been using the service), the difference isn't more than a
second (than the connected time).

Much more annoyingly, I've been charged for some calls that were
engaged. (albeit 1 minutes worth, or around 5s on their bill).

All and all this is making writing a small accounting reporter very
difficult.
Old December 2nd 05, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Rankin

Ivor Jones wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you are experiencing, but are you aware that
Sipgate bills for PSTN calls by the minute, not the second..? Could
this account for it..?

Ivor

Fraid not, I'm comparing what their site says and what the asterisk
logger is recording.

The difference is probably very small (since as you say it's per minute
billing, it's unlikely that there is a significant difference).

The strange thing is, if I look at longer phone calls (across the whole
time I've been using the service), the difference isn't more than a
second (than the connected time).

Much more annoyingly, I've been charged for some calls that were
engaged. (albeit 1 minutes worth, seen them billed as between 5 and 54
seconds so far on their bill).

Old December 3rd 05, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Rankin

Thomas Rankin wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:

[...]

A lot of them are absolutely spot on, but I've just found one that is
more than a minute difference.

Maybe the asterisk box isn't always hanging up with sipgates server
correctly (though unlikely since it's logged that it has hung up).
Old December 3rd 05, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

Thomas Rankin wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you are experiencing, but are you aware that
Sipgate bills for PSTN calls by the minute, not the second..? Could
this account for it..?

Ivor

Fraid not, I'm comparing what their site says and what the asterisk
logger is recording.

The difference is probably very small (since as you say it's per minute
billing, it's unlikely that there is a significant difference).

The strange thing is, if I look at longer phone calls (across the whole
time I've been using the service), the difference isn't more than a
second (than the connected time).

Much more annoyingly, I've been charged for some calls that were
engaged. (albeit 1 minutes worth, seen them billed as between 5 and 54
seconds so far on their bill).

This seems very odd, as a CDR would show that, the only way you would
(should) get billed would be if the
system you are calling is misconfigured and answering the calls before
passing them on to the extension, AAH does this if you have fax detect
enabled.

All and all this is making writing a small accounting reporter very
difficult.

A lot of them are absolutely spot on, but I've just found one that is
more than a minute difference.

Maybe the asterisk box isn't always hanging up with sipgates server
correctly (though unlikely since it's logged that it has hung up).

If thats the case the max will be about 29 seconds even if * hasnt hungup
cleanly.

Ian

Old December 4th 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Ingle

Thomas Rankin wrote:

Much more annoyingly, I've been charged for some calls that were
engaged. (albeit 1 minutes worth, seen them billed as between 5 and 54
seconds so far on their bill).

Unfortunately, that isn't unusual (though I haven't used Sipgate). On
VOIPfone, when I used to make international calls to the Philippines,
even when the calls didn't get through one was charged, and quite
frequently the calls took ages to connect, before the phone would even
start ringing, and one seemed to be charged for that. In the end I
stopped using VOIPfone for that, though it was because the voice quality
was just too poor.

With Vonage it is even worse as one is billed by the minute with a US
account, though at least they are more reliable at getting the calls
through.
Old December 4th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Thomas Rankin" wrote in
message

[snip]

Much more annoyingly, I've been charged for some calls
that were engaged. (albeit 1 minutes worth, seen them
billed as between 5 and 54 seconds so far on their bill).

How can you be billed 54 seconds on a system that only bills by the
minute..? Also Sipgate don't generate "bills" as such, what bill are you
referring to..?

Ivor