SIP & Skype

Old December 5th 05, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
SidKnee

Default SIP & Skype

I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer / broadband
connection that is capable of being used for Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I
would like SIP functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and when I
need to use it?

Is there such a thing?

Sidk

Old December 5th 05, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Sidknee" wrote in
message
I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer /
broadband connection that is capable of being used for
Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I would like SIP
functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
when I need to use it?
Is there such a thing?

Sidk

Unlikely, Skype uses its own proprietary (and definitely non-SIP)
protocol.

Ivor

Old December 5th 05, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew - G0RVM

Sidknee wrote:

I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer / broadband
connection that is capable of being used for Skype as well as FWD (SIP).
I would like SIP functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
when I need to use it?

Is there such a thing?

Sidk

Interesting. I have not heard of a single unit that converges SIP and
Skype. The very mention of such a unit would be enough to boil the blood
of either camp!

Are you looking specifically for a single unit or could two seperate unit's
be an option?

I was thinking about two ATA's perhaps? I hear VOCAL do one for Skype and I
would probably go with the Grandstream for SIP.

Andrew
Old December 5th 05, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Andrew - G0RVM" wrote in message
. uk

[snip]

Interesting. I have not heard of a single unit that
converges SIP and Skype. The very mention of such a unit
would be enough to boil the blood of either camp!

Are you looking specifically for a single unit or could
two seperate unit's be an option?

I was thinking about two ATA's perhaps? I hear VOCAL do
one for Skype and I would probably go with the
Grandstream for SIP.

An ATA for Skype..? Are you sure..? Is it not a device that plugs into a
USB port on a PC running Skype..? I have never heard of a device that
allows Skype without a PC being on.

Personally I prefer the Sipura range over the Grandstream units, better
build quality and far more configurable.

Ivor

Old December 5th 05, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew (G0RVM)

Ivor Jones wrote:

"Andrew - G0RVM" wrote in message
. uk

[snip]

Interesting. I have not heard of a single unit that
converges SIP and Skype. The very mention of such a unit
would be enough to boil the blood of either camp!

Are you looking specifically for a single unit or could
two seperate unit's be an option?

I was thinking about two ATA's perhaps? I hear VOCAL do
one for Skype and I would probably go with the
Grandstream for SIP.

An ATA for Skype..? Are you sure..? Is it not a device that plugs into a
USB port on a PC running Skype..? I have never heard of a device that
allows Skype without a PC being on.

Personally I prefer the Sipura range over the Grandstream units, better
build quality and far more configurable.

Ivor

Mmm, I thought it a little odd too. But if you pay/subscribe to Skype
in/out - why not?

I got the reference from the December 2nd edition of VON Focus. In the
Press Releases section an entry says:

12/01/05 - VOCAL INTRODUCES SKYPE-COMPATIBLE ATA

I've looked on Vocal's web site (http://www.vocal.com) and although there is
reference to their ATA technology, there is no mention of Skype.

Andrew
Old December 5th 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:46:35 GMT, "Andrew (G0RVM)"
wrote:

Ivor Jones wrote:

[...]

There is a USB device to which standard analogue phones can be
connected. Thus it is an ATA for Skype. The computer still has to be
on though.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old December 5th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2005-12-05, Sidknee wrote:
I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer / broadband
connection that is capable of being used for Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I
would like SIP functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and when I
need to use it?

Is there such a thing?

This may or may not do what you have in mind but it claims to support
Skype and SIP:

http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcpho...pe/vta1000.htm

Brian.
Old December 5th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Brian A" wrote in message

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:46:35 GMT, "Andrew (G0RVM)"
wrote:

[snip]

I've looked on Vocal's web site (http://www.vocal.com)
and although there is reference to their ATA
technology, there is no mention of Skype.

Andrew

There is a USB device to which standard analogue phones
can be connected. Thus it is an ATA for Skype. The
computer still has to be on though.

Not really the accepted definition of an ATA. An ATA can be plugged
directly into a router without a PC.

Ivor

Old December 5th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

On 2005-12-05, Sidknee
wrote:
I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer
/ broadband connection that is capable of being used
for Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I would like SIP
functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
when I need to use it?

Is there such a thing?

This may or may not do what you have in mind but it
claims to support Skype and SIP:

http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcpho...pe/vta1000.htm

Brian.

It's not a true ATA though, as it's a USB device that requires a PC.

Ivor

Old December 5th 05, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2005-12-05, Sidknee
wrote:
I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer
/ broadband connection that is capable of being used
for Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I would like SIP
functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
when I need to use it?

Is there such a thing?

This may or may not do what you have in mind but it
claims to support Skype and SIP:

http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcpho...pe/vta1000.htm

Brian.

It's not a true ATA though, as it's a USB device that requires a PC.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't spot that the OP was looking
specifically for an ATA.

Brian.