Comments on Sipura SPA-841 phone?

Old December 10th 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

Default Comments on Sipura SPA-841 phone?

Just wondering if anyone has any comments on the Sipura SPA-841 phone?
I have a number of SPA-3000 ATA's which I find very good, but now have
a case where a VoIP phone would be preferable, and I'm thinking about
the SPA-841. Suggestions of other good VoIP phones welcome too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old December 14th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has any comments on the Sipura SPA-841 phone?
I have a number of SPA-3000 ATA's which I find very good, but now have
a case where a VoIP phone would be preferable, and I'm thinking about
the SPA-841. Suggestions of other good VoIP phones welcome too.

I've got one. I like the build quality, but the sound quality is apalling.
You can probably spend your money better elsewhere [SPA-941 perhaps?].
Avoid unless it's very cheap [ 50].

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:30:40 up 6 days, 7:05, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.09, 0.08

Old December 15th 05, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
alexd writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has any comments on the Sipura SPA-841 phone?
I have a number of SPA-3000 ATA's which I find very good, but now have
a case where a VoIP phone would be preferable, and I'm thinking about
the SPA-841. Suggestions of other good VoIP phones welcome too.

I've got one. I like the build quality, but the sound quality is apalling.
You can probably spend your money better elsewhere [SPA-941 perhaps?].
Avoid unless it's very cheap [ 50].

Thanks for the heads-up. Wasn't expecting that sort of problem
as the sound quality of the SPA-3000's is excellent. Could you
perhaps be using a low bitrate codec?

Regards the SPA-941, I saw it mentioned, but couldn't see what
changes/enhancements it is supposed to have over the 841.

So, any other suggestions for a SIP/STUN VoIP real phone?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old December 15th 05, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ale.cx

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
alexd writes:

Thanks for the heads-up. Wasn't expecting that sort of problem
as the sound quality of the SPA-3000's is excellent. Could you
perhaps be using a low bitrate codec?

It's not the codec. The problem I get is that the amplitude of the
received and transmitted audio rapidly goes up and down, so first you
strain to hear the caller, and then you're deafened. I'm sure it's
something that could be fixed in firmware, but I'm using the latest
firmware from Sipura. To be honest, it's a bit of a show-stopper as far
as a phone goes, so god knows why Sipura haven't got off their arses
and fixed it yet.

Regards the SPA-941, I saw it mentioned, but couldn't see what
changes/enhancements it is supposed to have over the 841.

There's loads of reviews of it on the internet. Apparently the web
admin interface to it is the same as the SPA3000, if that floats your
boat :-)

alexd

Old December 24th 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

ale.cx wrote:

There's loads of reviews of it on the internet. Apparently the web
admin interface to it is the same as the SPA3000, if that floats your
boat :-)

The web interface is very similar to all the Sipura adaptors, including
the SPA-3000.

The phone plastic seems a lot better than the 841. It looks very much
like a cisco 7960 - it is actually a lot smaller than the Cisco.

See:
http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura_linksys_spa941.html

The only problem with the 941 at the moment is a shortage of
availability in europe. Hopefully this will be sorted after christmas.

Tim