WiFi VOIP

Old December 11th 05, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Default WiFi VOIP

Fancy getting one of these: http://www.provu.co.uk/utstar_f1000.html

Recommendations for & against, please.

Old December 11th 05, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John

"Jono" wrote in message
Fancy getting one of these: http://www.provu.co.uk/utstar_f1000.html

Recommendations for & against, please.

A nice I idea, but I would take the option would be to buy a standard SIP
unit and just hook up a standard cordless phone to it. That way you have
the choice of many cheaper cordless phones to use and multiple handsets too
(for much less cost). It also means that you could replace a broken handset
for little cost (should you damage the handset).

802.11b is becoming less popular for use on WiFi and this unit doesn't
appear to support 802.11g

I have read somewhere that the WPA support on this unit is bad and doesn't
work very well, so you might be forced to use WEP to protect your network in
order to get this working properly.

Its expensive compared to other options that achieve similar goals (mobile
SIP phone, see my option above)

Old December 11th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Cable Guy

"John" wrote in message

"Jono" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your thoughts John.

I already have a number of ATAs and thought this might be fun on the move as
well as at home.

Old December 11th 05, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message

Fancy getting one of these:
http://www.provu.co.uk/utstar_f1000.html
Recommendations for & against, please.

Sipgate have them for £119 inc. VAT, they're £139 + VAT on that site.
Still a bit pricey for me though.

Ivor

Old December 11th 05, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
stephen

"Jono" wrote in message
Fancy getting one of these: http://www.provu.co.uk/utstar_f1000.html

Recommendations for & against, please.

cisco have had voip 802.11 phones for a while (i deal with their IP
telephony at work sometimes) - say what you like about costs etc, cisco do
put a lot of effort into support.....

if you look here, there is a bunch of info and deployment recommendations,
which may help you (or put you off of course)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...056/index.html

big issue is that to share the air waves effectively when there is other
traffic you need QoS, and the standards for QoS on 802.11 dont seem to be
mature, or widely implemented.

given that at home i need 2 802.11 APs to cover 2 floors + a loft, but the
DECT phone works everywhere off 1 base station, i would stick with DECT for
now.
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old December 11th 05, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
www.payasyougo.me.uk

A nice I idea, but I would take the option would be to buy a standard SIP
unit and just hook up a standard cordless phone to it. That way you have
the choice of many cheaper cordless phones to use and multiple handsets
too
(for much less cost). It also means that you could replace a broken
handset
for little cost (should you damage the handset).

802.11b is becoming less popular for use on WiFi and this unit doesn't
appear to support 802.11g

I have read somewhere that the WPA support on this unit is bad and doesn't
work very well, so you might be forced to use WEP to protect your network
in
order to get this working properly.

Its expensive compared to other options that achieve similar goals (mobile
SIP phone, see my option above)

Will this work with out the need to contect it to a laptop or pc?

Ta

--

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/experimentalist-co-uk Will post worldwide.
www.simcard.me.uk Local Pre Pay Sim Cards. Mobile Phones - Satellite Phones

Old December 11th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

www.payasyougo.me.uk wrote:
||| A nice I idea, but I would take the option would be to buy a standard
||| SIP unit and just hook up a standard cordless phone to it. That way
||| you have the choice of many cheaper cordless phones to use and
||| multiple handsets too
||| (for much less cost). It also means that you could replace a broken
||| handset
||| for little cost (should you damage the handset).
||| 802.11b is becoming less popular for use on WiFi and this unit doesn't
||| appear to support 802.11g
||| I have read somewhere that the WPA support on this unit is bad and
||| doesn't work very well, so you might be forced to use WEP to protect
||| your network in
||| order to get this working properly.
||| Its expensive compared to other options that achieve similar goals
||| (mobile SIP phone, see my option above)
|| Will this work with out the need to contect it to a laptop or pc?
|| Ta

That's the idea, yes.

It connects to a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router

Old December 11th 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
www.payasyougo.me.uk

That's the idea, yes.

It connects to a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router

Yup thats what i thourt but thourt i check.

Old December 12th 05, 01:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

stephen:
big issue is that to share the air waves effectively when there is other
traffic you need QoS, and the standards for QoS on 802.11 dont seem to be
mature, or widely implemented.

QoS is available on some VOIP enabled routers e.g Draytek , Zyxel2602HWL,
but as you already have VoIP ports a WiFi phone seems to be an overkill.

Personally I am waiting for WiFi VoIP function on mobile phones, some new
Nokia's are already available,
but not cheap enough yet.

Regards,
Martin