SIPGATE SEEMS RUBBISH - Back to Freetalk or Vonage for me!

Old December 11th 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Maureen

Default SIPGATE SEEMS RUBBISH - Back to Freetalk or Vonage for me!

Well I've given Sipgate a try for a couple of weeks but quite honestly
the quality had much to be desired, ah well back to the old faithfuls I think!

Thanks for the advice.

regards

Maureen
Old December 11th 05, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Maureen" wrote in message

Well I've given Sipgate a try for a couple of weeks but
quite honestly
the quality had much to be desired, ah well back to the
old faithfuls I think!

Thanks for the advice.

At the risk of stirring up the idiot brigade, what exactly were your
problems..? Sipgate does honestly work fine for me. A lot of the problems
reported are often due to equipment/config problems, if you give me some
more info I might be able to help.

Ivor

Old December 11th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Maureen" wrote in message

Well I've given Sipgate a try for a couple of weeks but
quite honestly
the quality had much to be desired, ah well back to the
old faithfuls I think!

Thanks for the advice.

At the risk of stirring up the idiot brigade, what exactly were your
problems..? Sipgate does honestly work fine for me. A lot of the problems
reported are often due to equipment/config problems, if you give me some
more info I might be able to help.

Ivor

I also have to agree Sipgate works fine for me too
Old December 11th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
keymaster

"Mark" wrote in message
k...
Ivor Jones wrote:
"Maureen" wrote in message

Well I've given Sipgate a try for a couple of weeks but
quite honestly
the quality had much to be desired, ah well back to the
old faithfuls I think!

Thanks for the advice.

Hi
why not give voipfone a try?

Old December 11th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:35:44 GMT, Maureen
wrote:

Well I've given Sipgate a try for a couple of weeks but
quite honestly
the quality had much to be desired, ah well back to the
old faithfuls I think!

Ah you see Maureen they call it Sipgate because like you
have more or less stated here once you have had a SIP you
do not want a mouth full.

Hmm, tasty beer...

Ivor

Old December 11th 05, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Mark" wrote in message
k...
Ivor Jones wrote:
"Maureen" wrote in message

Well I've given Sipgate a try for a couple of weeks but
quite honestly
the quality had much to be desired, ah well back to the
old faithfuls I think!

Thanks for the advice.

At the risk of stirring up the idiot brigade, what exactly were your
problems..? Sipgate does honestly work fine for me. A lot of the
problems reported are often due to equipment/config problems, if you
give me some more info I might be able to help.

I also have to agree Sipgate works fine for me too

And working fine for me also.
I suspect Maureen is a wolf in a young ewes clothing.

Old December 11th 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:53:04 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Hmm, tasty beer...

That explains it drink beer and you cannot tell a good
voip isp from a bad one, I don't touch the stuff that is
why I CAN tell a good one from a bad one and I don't mind
paying a Bob or two for a good one beats free rubbish
anytime .

Slurp..

Ivor

Old December 12th 05, 01:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Mark:
Ivor Jones wrote:
"Maureen" wrote in message

Well I've given Sipgate a try for a couple of weeks but
quite honestly
the quality had much to be desired, ah well back to the
old faithfuls I think!

Thanks for the advice.

At the risk of stirring up the idiot brigade, what exactly were your
problems..? Sipgate does honestly work fine for me. A lot of the
problems reported are often due to equipment/config problems, if you
give me some more info I might be able to help.

Ivor

I also have to agree Sipgate works fine for me too

I also have no problems with Sipgate. Use it all the time to receive calls and
occasionally to make calls, as we're a VoIP only home now.

Old December 12th 05, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

"Maureen" wrote in message
Well I've given Sipgate a try for a couple of weeks but quite honestly
the quality had much to be desired, ah well back to the old faithfuls I
think!

Thanks for the advice.

regards

Maureen

Interesting correspondence. I've been with Sipgate for about 2 weeks and
found it very easy to set up (Linksys ATA). Worked right away to my
amazement. following very simple configuration.

However, I've since then had a couple of problems - clearly at Sipgate's end
as far as I can work it out.

For much of last Thursday late afternoon and evening (8th Dec) calls were
not getting through. Someone rang my mobile to notify of this (I was not at
home). Called the Sipgate number on my mobile and was told at various times
that the number was unobtainable and that there was network congestion (If I
recall the terms on my mobile display correctly). Managed to get the ringing
tone only once in a dozen or more attempts from about 4.30pm to about 10pm,
using various phones. Dialling the number from my home BT line resulted in
the continuous whine (unobtainable tone). Sipgate website showed 'online'
with no apparent problems. Then it all suddenly went OK about 10pm, with
absolutely no action on my part (dialled test call caused phone to ring for
first time in several hours).

Today, 12th Dec, someone rang me at 11.44 am and didn't get through - not
sure what if any recorded message he got but he seems to have been
immediately diverted to voicemail. I was sitting next to the SIPGATE phone
but it didn't ring. Got a 'silent' voicemail message by email and
immediately checked the sipgate number from another line - working OK (phone
rang). (Person rang my mobile rather than leave a message on Sipgate).

All this is a bit puzzling and a bit concerning. Sipgate seems to work OK
99% of the time but the 1% (or whatever) when it's not working is a nuisance
and an inconvenience - especially as I've given the number to various
business partners and have cancelled my BT second line in favour of Sipgate.

Any (polite) comments appreciated. I'm not trying to knock Sipgate and think
it's an excellent system in principle - would like to see it become a
little bit more reliable though. Having given out the Sipgate number I have
a stake in seeing it work better!!

Paul