DrayTel service relaunched

Old December 13th 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

Default DrayTel service relaunched

DrayTel (not draytek, but loosely linked) have relaunched their voip
service. It seemed naff before, and I signed up for sipgate, but now it
seems very competitive. It has the same pricing structure as sipgate, but if
you buy 20 credit you get put on the 'silver' tariff and then its cheaper
than sipgate (1p/min landlines in uk, australia, usa etc, 10/8/5p uk
mobiles). The features seem quite good (pasted):

a.. Incoming calls from the PSTN
a.. Your own real phone number
a.. Voice-Mail (Answerphone)
a.. Call Forwarding (Divert)
a.. Group Calling
a.. Multi-Device Calling
a.. Music-on-Hold
a.. Speaking Clock
a.. Fax-to-Email Service
a.. CSV Call History Download
a.. Withhold Caller ID
a.. No membership fees
a.. No subscription charges
and as it says above you get your own free incoming geographic number. No
subscription charges and free sign-up.

I'd give it a go if I didn't have 18 sitting in two sipgate accounts, as
that 18 will last me at least a year! Ah well...

Alex

Old December 13th 05, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

"Alex" wrote in message
DrayTel (not draytek, but loosely linked) have relaunched their voip

snip

I forgot to say, the address is www.draytel.org

Old December 13th 05, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Geddes

Alex wrote:
DrayTel (not draytek, but loosely linked) have relaunched their voip
service. It seemed naff before, and I signed up for sipgate, but now it
seems very competitive. It has the same pricing structure as sipgate, but if
you buy 20 credit you get put on the 'silver' tariff and then its cheaper
than sipgate (1p/min landlines in uk, australia, usa etc, 10/8/5p uk
mobiles). [snip]

BAD news for those considering Draytel: Draytel quote prices ex-VAT
(wheras Sipgate have the decency to show inc-VAT prices)

GOOD news for those considering Draytel: Draytel charge per second
rounded to next 1p+VAT, wheras Sipgate charge in whole-minutes.

For landline calls, there's nothing in it - rounding to the next 1.19p
rather than 1.175p.

But for mobiles, Sipgate round up to the next 14.9p as opposed to
rounding up to the next 1.175p from Draytel. That really DOES dent
Sipgate's attractiveness. And now Draytel's per-minute rate to UK
mobiles is usefully cheaper if you spend 20 and qualify for "Silver"
tariff.

On their new deal, Draytel look like giving Sipgate a run for their
money - as long as call quality and customer service are no worse.

Anyone able to make an informed comparison?

John Geddes
Old December 13th 05, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"John Geddes" wrote in
message
Alex wrote:
DrayTel (not draytek, but loosely linked) have
relaunched their voip service. It seemed naff before,
and I signed up for sipgate, but now it seems very
competitive. It has the same pricing structure as
sipgate, but if you buy 20 credit you get put on the
'silver' tariff and then its cheaper than sipgate
(1p/min landlines in uk, australia, usa etc, 10/8/5p uk
mobiles). [snip]

BAD news for those considering Draytel: Draytel quote
prices ex-VAT (wheras Sipgate have the decency to show
inc-VAT prices)
GOOD news for those considering Draytel: Draytel charge
per second rounded to next 1p+VAT, wheras Sipgate charge
in whole-minutes.
For landline calls, there's nothing in it - rounding to
the next 1.19p rather than 1.175p.

Indeed.

But for mobiles, Sipgate round up to the next 14.9p as
opposed to rounding up to the next 1.175p from Draytel.
That really DOES dent Sipgate's attractiveness. And now
Draytel's per-minute rate to UK mobiles is usefully
cheaper if you spend 20 and qualify for "Silver" tariff.

I always use my mobile to call other mobiles, it's a lot cheaper.

On their new deal, Draytel look like giving Sipgate a run
for their money - as long as call quality and customer
service are no worse.
Anyone able to make an informed comparison?

John Geddes

I just signed up and the confirmation box that popped up said voiptalk. Oh
well we'll see what it's like to play with.

Ivor

Old December 13th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

John Geddes wrote:
Alex wrote:

DrayTel (not draytek, but loosely linked) have relaunched their voip
service. It seemed naff before, and I signed up for sipgate, but now
it seems very competitive. It has the same pricing structure as
sipgate, but if you buy 20 credit you get put on the 'silver' tariff
and then its cheaper than sipgate (1p/min landlines in uk, australia,
usa etc, 10/8/5p uk mobiles). [snip]

BAD news for those considering Draytel: Draytel quote prices ex-VAT
(wheras Sipgate have the decency to show inc-VAT prices)

More bad news compared to Sipgate is that you need 10 of call credit to
get a geographic number. An 0870 number costs 3 and an 0845 costs 10
(all prices ex VAT). So if you need a "free" DDI, Sipgate is still the
better option.
Old December 13th 05, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Chris" wrote in message

[snip]

More bad news compared to Sipgate is that you need 10 of
call credit to get a geographic number. An 0870 number
costs 3 and an 0845 costs 10 (all prices ex VAT). So if
you need a "free" DDI, Sipgate is still the better option.

Indeed. I have one number that doesn't and never will have any credit on
it. It's a backdoor into my PABX (gives internal dial tone). It's never
used for outgoing calls and only gets used for incoming calls when I need
to test something.

Ivor

Old December 14th 05, 04:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:13:12 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message

[snip]

More bad news compared to Sipgate is that you need 10 of
call credit to get a geographic number. An 0870 number
costs 3 and an 0845 costs 10 (all prices ex VAT). So if
you need a "free" DDI, Sipgate is still the better option.

Indeed. I have one number that doesn't and never will have any credit on
it. It's a backdoor into my PABX (gives internal dial tone). It's never
used for outgoing calls and only gets used for incoming calls when I need
to test something.

Sipgate's geographic numbers don't expire if you don't use them for a
while (as might be the case with your PABX number), whereas DrayTel
will disconnect your number if you don't use it at least once every 60
days.

Chris
Old December 14th 05, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

news
wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message

[snip]

More bad news compared to Sipgate is that you need
10 of call credit to get a geographic number. An
0870 number costs 3 and an 0845 costs 10 (all
prices ex VAT). So if you need a "free" DDI, Sipgate
is still the better option.

Indeed. I have one number that doesn't and never will
have any credit on it. It's a backdoor into my PABX
(gives internal dial tone). It's never used for
outgoing calls and only gets used for incoming calls
when I need to test something.

Sipgate's geographic numbers don't expire if you don't
use them for a while (as might be the case with your PABX
number), whereas DrayTel will disconnect your number if
you don't use it at least once every 60 days.

Actually, Sipgate do reserve the right to pull a number through disuse,
but AFAIK it's never happened.

Ivor

Old December 15th 05, 03:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message

[snip]

More bad news compared to Sipgate is that you need
10 of call credit to get a geographic number. An
0870 number costs 3 and an 0845 costs 10 (all
prices ex VAT). So if you need a "free" DDI, Sipgate
is still the better option.

Indeed. I have one number that doesn't and never will
have any credit on it. It's a backdoor into my PABX
(gives internal dial tone). It's never used for
outgoing calls and only gets used for incoming calls
when I need to test something.

Sipgate's geographic numbers don't expire if you don't
use them for a while (as might be the case with your PABX
number), whereas DrayTel will disconnect your number if
you don't use it at least once every 60 days.

Actually, Sipgate do reserve the right to pull a number through disuse,
but AFAIK it's never happened.

I didn't know that. Do they specify any particular frequency that you
are supposed to receive calls within to avoid being disconnected?

Chris
Old December 15th 05, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:40:55 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

[snip]

Actually, Sipgate do reserve the right to pull a number
through disuse, but AFAIK it's never happened.

I didn't know that. Do they specify any particular
frequency that you are supposed to receive calls within
to avoid being disconnected?

I'm not 100% sure, I think it's around 6 months, similar to the mobile
networks. You definitely don't have to make any calls though, as long as
the account has been used at all in that time it will remain active. As I
said, I don't think they ever have pulled any numbers through disuse, but
it's natural that they should be able to, given that they give free
geographic numbers.

Ivor