How do you pronounce "voip" ?

Old December 15th 05, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor

Default How do you pronounce "voip" ?

Is it pronounced like "voyp" or "voe-ip" ?

Is it "(Voice Over Internet) Protocol" or "Voice Over (Internet Protocol)"

I would like to be told ?

Richard [in PE12]

Old December 15th 05, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Crane

"Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor" wrote in message
news:[email protected] oc.usenetexchange.com...
Is it pronounced like "voyp" or "voe-ip" ?

Is it "(Voice Over Internet) Protocol" or "Voice Over (Internet Protocol)"

I would like to be told ?

Personally, the former and the latter. Or the former and "Voice over IP".

Regards
Andrew

Inweb Networks 01784494400 www.inweb.co.uk
www.rectel.co.uk -- record your phone calls and retrieve them online without
registering. Just call 08719009000.

Old December 15th 05, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor writes
Is it pronounced like "voyp" or "voe-ip" ?

Vee-oh-eye-pee
Old December 15th 05, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

I'll throw in another contender - "voy-eeep".

Looks like everyone has their own way of saying "VoIP". - a google
search on voip + pronounce gives you this:
http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8
.. One of the links there goes to an article where Tom Keating (some
would say voip guru) talks about pronouncing certain words "right" or
"wrong".

But what's right for one is NOT for another. Americans say "row"-"ter",
Brits say "root"-"er". Who's to say what is "correct"?

Personally, what suits you is what's best! - oh, and I say Vee Oh Eye
Pee - for what it's worth.

Paul

Old December 15th 05, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"paul123" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'll throw in another contender - "voy-eeep".

Looks like everyone has their own way of saying "VoIP". - a google
search on voip + pronounce gives you this:
http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8
. One of the links there goes to an article where Tom Keating (some
would say voip guru) talks about pronouncing certain words "right" or
"wrong".

But what's right for one is NOT for another. Americans say "row"-"ter",

So do we if it's for cutting grooves in wood.

I'm amused when I come accross people who call a router a router. I always
ask "do you mean router or router?"

Old December 15th 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"David Floyd" wrote in message
In message of Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor writes
Is it pronounced like "voyp" or "voe-ip" ?

Vee-oh-eye-pee

Why take one syllable if you can use four?

Old December 15th 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor" wrote in message
news:[email protected] oc.usenetexchange.com...
Is it pronounced like "voyp" or "voe-ip" ?

Is it "(Voice Over Internet) Protocol" or "Voice Over (Internet Protocol)"

I would like to be told ?

Richard [in PE12]

I'd be more interested in learning how to pronounce Werewolf.

Is it:

Wer-wolf;
We're-wolf;
Where-wolf.

?

Old December 15th 05, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

Jono wrote:

I'd be more interested in learning how to pronounce Werewolf.

?

Jono - that reminds me of Young Frankenstein....
"Werewolf? There wolf! There tree! "etcc (smirks)

Paul

Old December 15th 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PeterW

"paul123" wrote in
oups.com:

I'll throw in another contender - "voy-eeep".

But what's right for one is NOT for another. Americans say
"row"-"ter", Brits say "root"-"er". Who's to say what is "correct"?

We had a visiting American recently who pronounced route as "root" rather
than "rowt". He was a genuine American, despite the fact he hated American
beer - he reckoned that Americans didn't make any decent beer.

Peter