Gradwell phones home from web page -- what's going on?

Old December 16th 05, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news

Default Gradwell phones home from web page -- what's going on?

Elsewhere in this group someone posted this link:

http://esupport.gradwell.

net/?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=208

A useful page.

But what on earth is Gradwell doing? When I displayed the page I noticed
there was some traffic outgoing from here, repeated every 20 seconds or
so:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Source Destination Protocol Info

192.168.xxx.xxx yellow.gradwell.net TCP 1216 https [SYN]
Seq=0 Ack=0 Win=65535 Len=0 MSS=1460

yellow.gradwell.net 192.168.xxx.xxx TCP https 1216 [SYN,
ACK] Seq=0 Ack=1 Win=5840 Len=0 MSS=1460

192.168.xxx.xxx yellow.gradwell.net TCP 1216 https [ACK]
Seq=1 Ack=1 Win=65535 Len=0

192.168.xxx.xxx yellow.gradwell.net TLS Client Hello

yellow.gradwell.net 192.168.xxx.xxx TCP https 1216 [ACK]
Seq=1 Ack=99 Win=5840 Len=0

yellow.gradwell.net 192.168.xxx.xxx TLS Server Hello,
Change Cipher Spec, Encrypted Handshake Message

192.168.xxx.xxx yellow.gradwell.net TLS Change Cipher Spec

yellow.gradwell.net 192.168.xxx.xxx TCP https 1216 [ACK]
Seq=127 Ack=105 Win=5840 Len=0

192.168.xxx.xxx yellow.gradwell.net TLS Encrypted Handshake
Message, Application Data

yellow.gradwell.net 192.168.xxx.xxx TCP https 1216 [ACK]
Seq=127 Ack=1270 Win=8155 Len=0

yellow.gradwell.net 192.168.xxx.xxx TLS Application Data

yellow.gradwell.net 192.168.xxx.xxx TCP https 1216 [FIN,
ACK] Seq=479 Ack=1270 Win=8155 Len=0

192.168.xxx.xxx yellow.gradwell.net TCP 1216 https [ACK]
Seq=1270 Ack=480 Win=65057 Len=0

192.168.xxx.xxx yellow.gradwell.net TLS Encrypted Alert

192.168.xxx.xxx yellow.gradwell.net TCP 1216 https [FIN,
ACK] Seq=1297 Ack=480 Win=65057 Len=0

yellow.gradwell.net 192.168.xxx.xxx TCP https 1216 [ACK]
Seq=480 Ack=1298 Win=8155 Len=0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SSL? Encryption? What was Gradwell phoning home about?

I didn't click on anything on the page, just displayed it. As soon as I
closed the page, the traffic stopped.

Gradwell?

--
Ian

--
Ian
Old December 16th 05, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news

In message , news
writes
Elsewhere in this group someone posted this link:

http://esupport.gradwell.

net/?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=208

A useful page.

But what on earth is Gradwell doing? When I displayed the page I

noticed there was some traffic outgoing from here, repeated every 20
seconds or so:

[Snip]

I emailed Peter Gradwell direct, asking him what was going on. He
explained that the phone-home traffic was to do with the Chat Now button
on the page. So I then asked him for more details:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
Ian Wade wrote:
Hello Peter.
If the traffic is to do with the Chat Now button, why is it running

all by itself every 20 seconds
and sending information back to you?

- because it monitors whether we are online or not.

At no time did I click on any button when I displayed the page.
What information is it sending from my system to Gradwell?

Just usual cgi stuff, like refer values, browser type, length of time on
page etc.

cheers
peter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

So now we know. "Just the usual cgi stuff." Yeah, right!

I also know that I have no time for vendors who play sneaky underhand
tricks like that. Gradwell is definitely off my list of potential
candidates for VoIP service provider.

--
Ian
Old December 16th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sparks

"news" wrote in message
news
In message , news
writes

Ian Wade wrote:
[...]

Doesn't look underhand to me, just making sure the button on the page, that
presumabaly shows if live support is avalable is avalable is showing the
correct status!

Sparks... (A [happy] gradwell customer (no more than that), as you can
probably see)

Old December 16th 05, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news

In message , Sparks
writes

Doesn't look underhand to me, just making sure the button on the page, that
presumabaly shows if live support is avalable is avalable is showing the
correct status!

There's nothing wrong with the basic idea. But why use SSL? Despite
Gradwell's "explanation", I have absolutely no idea what information
they are phoning home.

(A little while ago I was using another VoIP package -- Echolink -- and
discovered that it too was phoning home -- in that case, the serial
number of my hard disk. That was in clear, however, so easier to spot. I
don't use that package any more).

--
Ian
Old December 16th 05, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

news wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the basic idea. But why use SSL? Despite
Gradwell's "explanation", I have absolutely no idea what information
they are phoning home.

- we use SSL because our whole site uses SSL, and if we invoke non SSL
requests on an SSL page, then the browser will complain - which confuses
people.

cheers
peter

Old December 16th 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news

In message , Peter Gradwell
writes
news wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the basic idea. But why use SSL? Despite
Gradwell's "explanation", I have absolutely no idea what information
they are phoning home.

- we use SSL because our whole site uses SSL

No it doesn't. I've just clicked on your home page (http://...) for
example, and there's no SSL or phoning home there. Also, the original
link that started this topic was http, not https.

, and if we invoke non SSL requests on an SSL page, then the browser
will complain - which confuses people.

I think your web designer is confused. You need to think a little more
about page design.

--
Ian
Old December 16th 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
George Woodbine

news wrote:

No it doesn't. I've just clicked on your home page (http://...) for
example, and there's no SSL or phoning home there. Also, the original
link that started this topic was http, not https.

, and if we invoke non SSL requests on an SSL page, then the browser
will complain - which confuses people.

I think your web designer is confused. You need to think a little more
about page design.

This seems to be a lot of fuss about nothing.

I haven't used Gradwell before, but they seem like an honest enough
company. How many others companies do you know where the founder reads
Usenet and answers posts?

If they wanted to do something iffy, they could do so when the page was
first requested. Your browser can't send anything back on future
reloads that it couldn't have sent back the first time.
Old December 17th 05, 03:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Julius

Seems like too much information is overloading your brain

Old December 17th 05, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

news wrote:

In message , Peter Gradwell
writes

, and if we invoke non SSL requests on an SSL page, then the browser
will complain - which confuses people.

god knows it doesn't take much...

I think your web designer is confused. You need to think a little more
about page design.

I think you're the one who's confused. You need to think a little more about
whether a succesful VoIP player, is going to take any notice of a
foaming-mouthed conspiracy theorist on Usenet.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
11:19:32 up 8 days, 21:54, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.05, 0.08

Old December 22nd 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

I haven't used Gradwell before, but they seem like an honest enough
company. How many others companies do you know where the founder reads
Usenet and answers posts?

www.voipfone.co.uk their CEO posts quite regularly :-)

Mat