Skype crashes laptop

Old December 16th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
WithLove

Default Skype crashes laptop

Hello, All!

In the middle of a conversation with Skype on my laptop, sometimes suddenly
the screen goes black, some loud clicks on my headphones, and the laptop
turns off and then on again. Windows starts up again and I get a black
screen with big white characters asking me what I want. I choose: Start
Windows normally, and then sometimes checkdisk is starting. It takes ages to
finisch checkdisk.
Then Windows comes up and I start Skype again, I call the person back and
all runs normal.

This occurs approx. once every week.
Is this a hardware conflict?

Windows XP home with SP2
Skype all versions (1.x and 2.x)
Laptop: Acer Aspire 1353LC

Thanks...
WithLove.

Old December 19th 05, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Doz

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:55:28 +0100, WithLove wrote:

Hello, All!

In the middle of a conversation with Skype on my laptop, sometimes suddenly
the screen goes black, some loud clicks on my headphones, and the laptop
turns off and then on again. Windows starts up again and I get a black
screen with big white characters asking me what I want. I choose: Start
Windows normally, and then sometimes checkdisk is starting. It takes ages to
finisch checkdisk.
Then Windows comes up and I start Skype again, I call the person back and
all runs normal.

This occurs approx. once every week.
Is this a hardware conflict?

Windows XP home with SP2
Skype all versions (1.x and 2.x)
Laptop: Acer Aspire 1353LC

Thanks...
WithLove.

You probably need to run some hard disk diagnostics... it's usually the first
thing that goes in a laptop (apart from the battery)

Try doing a manual checkdisk ( " chkdsk c: /F /R " at a command prompt - it
will run on the next reboot)

If it reports "bad blocks" then you'll need to consider a replacement disk.
Old December 20th 05, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Don't bother checking your machine looking round various forums this
happens a lot

Old December 22nd 05, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Westwell

I agree,

I run Skype on a machine 24x7 for months on end without problems. the only
time the PC reboots is when XP auto updates force it to!

The problem is not with Skype.

Regards,

Paul

"Doz" wrote in message
On 20 Dec 2005 04:43:23 -0800, wrote:

Don't bother checking your machine looking round various forums this
happens a lot

No it doesn't... my Pc's on 24x7 running xp pro and I reboot it about once
month. Runs skype all the time over a wifi link and acts as a CCTV
recorder
using I-catcher.
www.icode.co.uk