Voipfone service down?

Old December 21st 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Voipfone service down?

Anyone else having problems with Voipfone. IP Phones are not
registering and their website appears to be down. Noticed around 8.00am
this morning.

Old December 21st 05, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
cjd

Yes we had a problem this morning - Our customers will be getting this
email shortly. Voipfone IS generally extreemly reliable but, like
everyone else using these technologies, stuff sometimes does happen and
hopefully we learn from it. VoIP is a journey, please bear with us.

We had a serious outage this morning. It was caused by a hardware
failure of a critical piece of new equipment at our Network Operating
Centre.

Hardware failures like this are extremely rare but our engineers
managed to locate the problem, replace the equipment and re-instate the
network in under 4 hours.

Even so, I know how dependent you are on our service and I can only
offer my apologies for the inconvenience.

We are investing all the time in the entire network to prevent
individual component failures like this one causing severe interruption
to service and we will continue to do so.

Again, I apologise for the inconvenience this must have caused you at
such a busy time of year.

Have a good Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Old December 21st 05, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Adamson

Anyone else having problems with Voipfone. IP Phones are not
registering and their website appears to be down. Noticed around 8.00am
this morning.

Yes, it's down here as well (11:00 Wednesday).

It was still down at 11:45, but back up again some time before 13:25.

This does worry me, especially after previous outages and makes me think I
should be recommending gradwell (who seem to mainly have better pbx
facilities) or voip.co.uk for outgoing calls.

Mark

Old December 21st 05, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Adamson

"cjd" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

While I appreciate your informative response and apology, I find it
difficult to understand what piece of equipment this could possibly be that
is too expensive to duplicate. You are very likely to lose significant
numbers of customers if you do not soon invest more in redundancy.

You'll notice from this group that once a company has a bad reputation, it
is difficult to lose it and this is, I believe, the third daylight outage in
the last 6 months.

Mark

Old December 21st 05, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news

In message . com, cjd
writes
Yes we had a problem this morning -

[Snip]

Everything working fine again now (13:45 Wednesday)

--
Ian
Old December 21st 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
cjd

Most of our customers have been very understanding - perhaps because
it's a rare occurrence and perhaps because it's the time of peace and
goodwill to all VoIP pioneers.

However it's certainly been a bad VoIP day - here's a bit of an email
from one of our customers:

Subject: Voipfone Outage
Thanks for advice.. you're not the only one today,
there have been several global outages on various voip
services today... RCA reports have varied reasons, cut
fibres, hardware defects, and oddest of all an ISDN
link came out and took down a Call Manager cluster in
Barcelona...

Whoever provides your service, have a good Christmas.

Old December 21st 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

cjd wrote:
Most of our customers have been very understanding - perhaps because
it's a rare occurrence and perhaps because it's the time of peace and
goodwill to all VoIP pioneers.

However it's certainly been a bad VoIP day - here's a bit of an email
from one of our customers:

Thanks for advice.. you're not the only one today,
there have been several global outages on various voip
services today... RCA reports have varied reasons, cut
fibres, hardware defects, and oddest of all an ISDN
link came out and took down a Call Manager cluster in
Barcelona...

Whoever provides your service, have a good Christmas.

As they say **** happens voipfone has provided me with a first class
service of the past few months any one that believes that a service
will be error free needs a check up from the neck up its not going to
happen

while i am at it i must say i am very impressed with your new 0800
service i have just purchased one for my company i am also impressed
with the business hours feature keep up the good work

have a fantastic Christmas

Mat

Old December 21st 05, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Adamson

As they say **** happens voipfone has provided me with a first class
service of the past few months any one that believes that a service
will be error free needs a check up from the neck up its not going to
happen

I have never provided an error free service with my IT work, and would
rarely expect to in future, so I know it is difficult to achieve.

However, it seems with telecoms that the general populus, both consumers and
small businesses are used to a pretty flawless service (unlike with
broadband where people have always experienced the odd downtime so expect no
better). While I know of one other person who has had a fault on a telephone
line, they seem very rare, expecially faults that take down a sizable
proportion of the customers. Is that a fair observation?

I know from recent experience that the percieved (or not?) reliability
issues with VoIP are enough to make small businesses go with a proprietry
ISDN pbx system, and miss out on the benefits of VoIP. It's understandable,
they have never had a single issue with their current phone systems in 4
seperate sites.

Mark