VOIP / Free World Dialup - Basic Infomation

Old December 28th 05, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Marty C

Default VOIP / Free World Dialup - Basic Infomation

Hi Guys,

After many hours of trying I think I've finally configured FWD VOIP.

The echo test works OK, I can dial the speaking clock and "call me back"
does just that but doesn't seem to recognise the "pound" key (the hash key?)
so I'm still not sure that it's working properly. Also I can't seem to
access UK 0800 numbers and am completely confused as to how to dial other
users and on different networks. Do you use the "*" key? Once or twice? Dial
the full international number? Drop the zero?

If it's important I am using a Billion VOIP 7402VGO router with two analogue
phone ports and the router's VOIP light is on. I think that ports 5060 &
5082 are forwarded correctly (because I can hear the echo test and receive
the incoming "call me back" calls), although it wasn't clear the ip address
that they need to be forwarded to (the router's ip address?).

Can someone please point me in the direction of some basic information on
how to use VOIP? I have tried the FWD forums and Googling but so far haven't
found anything *really basic*!!!

Once comfortable with VOIP I will probably consider a paid for service, so
if anyone has any recommendations I'd be grateful, although to be honest for
"domestic" use there doesn't seem to be much of a financial saving over
using 18866, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Marty

Old December 28th 05, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

0800800154 = *44800800154 etc.

Btw, what did you dial for the FWD speaking clock?

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 28th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Graham" wrote in message

0800800154 = *44800800154 etc.

Btw, what did you dial for the FWD speaking clock?

I'd be interested to know this. BTW you can dial my speaking clock on
1431320 (Sipgate) or 020 7043 1320 (PSTN). It should be possible to dial
into Sipgate from FWD but I haven't been able to get it to work for
months, is anyone else getting the same result..? The code should be **777
(or is it just 2 7's..?) followed bt the SIP ID but I get busy tones after
the * so no idea if it's me or the system.

Also, how are you supposed to dial US 800 numbers from FWD..? The system
says prefix them with a * but I get the busy tone as soon as I send * so
what's up..?

Finally, ISTR there was a PSTN number you could dial to dial a FWD number
from an ordinary phone, anyone know what it is..? Can't see it on the
website anywhere.

Ivor

Old December 28th 05, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Marty C

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Graham" wrote in message

0800800154 = *44800800154 etc.

Btw, what did you dial for the FWD speaking clock?

[Trimmed}
Ivor

According to the welcome email the following numbers are available:
* 613 for an echo tester (you talk and you hear yourself)
* 55555 to reach the welcome line volunteer staff
* 10001 for the FWD answering machine
* 612 to hear the Time
* 411 for 'Tellme' Information, (news, weather, sports, etc)
* 611 for technical support (limited availability)
No need to dail the *.

The Tellme one is quite fun - in a strange american way!

So ordinarrily do you need to dail the asterik?
kept getting an engaged tone dialing an 800 number as well, as soon as you
hit the first number after the asterik.

Marty

Old December 28th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

Also, how are you supposed to dial US 800 numbers from FWD

Hi Ivor,

Try this

*1800 555 1234 (genuine number)

but I get the busy tone as soon as I send *

I don't understand what you mean by that, given that VoIP uses 'en block'
dialing.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 28th 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

So ordinarrily do you need to dail the asterik?
kept getting an engaged tone dialing an 800 number as well, as soon as you
hit the first number after the asterik.

Marty

That's the same problem that Ivor has, I suppose you are both using ATA's or
perhaps Asterisk.

With a softphone you press the send button and it sends the whole number, I
suppose hardware solutions must dial in the same en block way. Do you have
to hit the # key at the end, or does it wait until no digits are dialed
within a few seconds and decide that you are finished dialing?

In either case, it looks as if your hardware treats a leading * as illegal

Ironic indeed if Asterisk is involved!

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 30th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Marty C" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Graham" wrote in message

0800800154 = *44800800154 etc.

Btw, what did you dial for the FWD speaking clock?

[Trimmed}
Ivor

According to the welcome email the following numbers are available: *
613 for an echo tester (you talk and you hear yourself)
* 55555 to reach the welcome line volunteer staff
* 10001 for the FWD answering machine
* 612 to hear the Time
* 411 for 'Tellme' Information, (news, weather, sports,
etc) * 611 for technical support (limited availability)
No need to dail the *.

The Tellme one is quite fun - in a strange american way!

Just tried them, they work fine (don't dial the *) - you can also dial
them from Sipgate by using the prefix 000393.

The problem I've had is trying to dial US 800 numbers, when I dial (say)
1-800-123-4567 I am told to prefix the number with an * but this never
works. Anyone got this to work ok..?

Ivor