Any ideas on how to retain a number whilst abroad?

Old December 30th 05, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
gavinrobertsonuk

Default Any ideas on how to retain a number whilst abroad?

Wow! Thanks everyone for your very useful replies. We're not bothered
about having calls forwarded to Aus, so Caller Redirect sounds like the
one for us. We've signed up for a VOIP service, so what I think we
might do is get Caller Redirect to tell people of the new (VoIP)
number. After a year (or whatever) , if I can then port that number
back to BT then we'll stop the redirect. If not, we'll keep the
redirect on so that we can go back to the old number when we come back.
It might not be the ideal answer for everyone, but it will suit our
scenario.

One final question - can someone confirm whether the 30 per quarter
for Caller Redirect is inclusive? Ie do I need to pay to actually rent
the number/line on top of this?

Old December 30th 05, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Jim

gavinrobertsonuk wrote:
Wow! Thanks everyone for your very useful replies. We're not bothered
about having calls forwarded to Aus, so Caller Redirect sounds like the
one for us. We've signed up for a VOIP service, so what I think we
might do is get Caller Redirect to tell people of the new (VoIP)
number. After a year (or whatever) , if I can then port that number
back to BT then we'll stop the redirect. If not, we'll keep the
redirect on so that we can go back to the old number when we come back.
It might not be the ideal answer for everyone, but it will suit our
scenario.

One final question - can someone confirm whether the 30 per quarter
for Caller Redirect is inclusive? Ie do I need to pay to actually rent
the number/line on top of this?

CR is normally used when you cease a line, so there's no
additional rental. I'm not sure if you can just re-apply
for the same number when you return - for that, I think you
might have to continue to pay rental as well. ISTR BT can
terminate a line at the exchange in these circumstances, but
talk to someone at BT who can give a definitive answer.

Alternatively, you could change the CR announced number to
your new one.
Old December 30th 05, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Jim wrote:
|| gavinrobertsonuk wrote:
||| Wow! Thanks everyone for your very useful replies. We're not
||| bothered about having calls forwarded to Aus, so Caller Redirect
||| sounds like the one for us. We've signed up for a VOIP service, so
||| what I think we might do is get Caller Redirect to tell people of the
||| new (VoIP) number. After a year (or whatever) , if I can then port
||| that number back to BT then we'll stop the redirect. If not, we'll
||| keep the redirect on so that we can go back to the old number when we
||| come back. It might not be the ideal answer for everyone, but it
||| will suit our scenario.
||| One final question - can someone confirm whether the 30 per quarter
||| for Caller Redirect is inclusive? Ie do I need to pay to actually
||| rent the number/line on top of this?
|| CR is normally used when you cease a line, so there's no
|| additional rental. I'm not sure if you can just re-apply
|| for the same number when you return - for that, I think you
|| might have to continue to pay rental as well. ISTR BT can
|| terminate a line at the exchange in these circumstances, but
|| talk to someone at BT who can give a definitive answer.
|| Alternatively, you could change the CR announced number to
|| your new one.

CR should allow the (old) number to be re-used on a physical line, so long
as the (new) physical line is on the same exchange as the (old) line.

Old December 30th 05, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Jono

gavinrobertsonuk wrote:
| Wow! Thanks everyone for your very useful replies. We're not bothered
| about having calls forwarded to Aus, so Caller Redirect sounds like the
| one for us. We've signed up for a VOIP service, so what I think we
| might do is get Caller Redirect to tell people of the new (VoIP)
| number. After a year (or whatever) , if I can then port that number
| back to BT then we'll stop the redirect. If not, we'll keep the
| redirect on so that we can go back to the old number when we come back.
| It might not be the ideal answer for everyone, but it will suit our
| scenario.
|
| One final question - can someone confirm whether the 30 per quarter
| for Caller Redirect is inclusive? Ie do I need to pay to actually rent
| the number/line on top of this?

CR is inclusive of any rentals (as there aren't any), however, AFAIR, the
30 is not inclusive of VAT.

Old December 30th 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
gavinrobertsonuk

Great - thanks all for your help.

Old December 30th 05, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Jim

Jono wrote:
gavinrobertsonuk wrote:
| Wow! Thanks everyone for your very useful replies. We're not bothered
| about having calls forwarded to Aus, so Caller Redirect sounds like the
| one for us. We've signed up for a VOIP service, so what I think we
| might do is get Caller Redirect to tell people of the new (VoIP)
| number. After a year (or whatever) , if I can then port that number
| back to BT then we'll stop the redirect. If not, we'll keep the
| redirect on so that we can go back to the old number when we come back.
| It might not be the ideal answer for everyone, but it will suit our
| scenario.
|
| One final question - can someone confirm whether the 30 per quarter
| for Caller Redirect is inclusive? Ie do I need to pay to actually rent
| the number/line on top of this?

CR is inclusive of any rentals (as there aren't any), however, AFAIR, the
30 is not inclusive of VAT.

For Business lines, it's 30 plus VAT, for Residential, 30
inc.VAT.
Old December 30th 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Jim wrote:
|| Jono wrote:
||| CR is inclusive of any rentals (as there aren't any), however, AFAIR,
||| the 30 is not inclusive of VAT.
|| For Business lines, it's 30 plus VAT, for Residential, 30
|| inc.VAT.

Jolly good show.

Old December 30th 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
The Bloke Next Door

Gavin Roberts
We're not bothered about having calls forwarded to Aus,
so Caller Redirect sounds like the one for us.

Far cheaper surely, to record your own 'new number message' on a TAM,
(whilst retaining the line on LUS as others have suggested).

Old December 30th 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Jono

The Bloke Next Door wrote:
|| Gavin Roberts
||| We're not bothered about having calls forwarded to Aus,
||| so Caller Redirect sounds like the one for us.
|| Far cheaper surely, to record your own 'new number message' on a TAM,
|| (whilst retaining the line on LUS as others have suggested).

He's moving abroad.

How many people do you know, that move house and leave an answerphone
plugged in at their old address?