Please tell mw what Router to buy

Old January 1st 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Default Please tell mw what Router to buy

Lazy? No.

Confused? Yes.

Would one of you kind souls tell me what I need in the way of a
VoIP-friendly router?

I have one at the moment that cost next to nothing, however, my network has
somewhat out-grown it.

I need the ability to have 11+ rules for port forwarding, preferably with
each rule having 3 choices - UDP/TCP/BOTH.

I would like a USB printserver.

I would like to be able to set up a VPN here.

No ADSL modem (I'm on Cable Broadband)

Above all, I want SIP/IAX to not break.

Cheers, & happy new year!

Old January 2nd 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Flipflops

"Jono" wrote in message
. uk...
Lazy? No.

Confused? Yes.

Would one of you kind souls tell me what I need in the way of a
VoIP-friendly router?

I have one at the moment that cost next to nothing, however, my network
has somewhat out-grown it.

I need the ability to have 11+ rules for port forwarding, preferably with
each rule having 3 choices - UDP/TCP/BOTH.

I would like a USB printserver.

I would like to be able to set up a VPN here.

No ADSL modem (I'm on Cable Broadband)

Above all, I want SIP/IAX to not break.

Cheers, & happy new year!

I was thinking of a new one myself, along with an ATA to replace my Zoom
X5V. I have narrowed it down to a Draytek 2800 (Which is ADSL2, and
backwards compatible, on top of that the new ADSL2 chipsets are supposed to
be even more reliable on dodgy lines). Also includes QoS and VPN (if you
need that sort of thing).

Rgds

Stuart

Old January 2nd 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Jono wrote:
|| Lazy? No.
|| Confused? Yes.
|| Would one of you kind souls tell me what I need in the way of a
|| VoIP-friendly router?
|| I have one at the moment that cost next to nothing, however, my
|| network has somewhat out-grown it.
|| I need the ability to have 11+ rules for port forwarding, preferably
|| with each rule having 3 choices - UDP/TCP/BOTH.
|| I would like a USB printserver.
|| I would like to be able to set up a VPN here.
|| No ADSL modem (I'm on Cable Broadband)
|| Above all, I want SIP/IAX to not break.
|| Cheers, & happy new year!

Thanks for your replies.

This http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2900.html looks like it might
fit the bill............am I right?

Is it SIP aware?

Old January 2nd 06, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Jono wrote:

This http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2900.html looks like it might
fit the bill............am I right?

Is it SIP aware?

It is almost universally the case[1] that you are better off without a
SIP aware NAT.

The ALG's always seemed to just be bodged rather than a proper SIP and
SDP parser.

Tim

[1] - except maybe Intertex and high end Cisco.
Old January 3rd 06, 02:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Jono,
you need Vigor 2900V, but as there isn't one you need to go for 2900VG ;-)
or there is also a 2100VG.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 3rd 06, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian

Jono wrote:
Jono wrote:
Lazy? No.

Confused? Yes.

Would one of you kind souls tell me what I need in the way of a
VoIP-friendly router?

I have one at the moment that cost next to nothing, however, my
network has somewhat out-grown it.

I need the ability to have 11+ rules for port forwarding, preferably
with each rule having 3 choices - UDP/TCP/BOTH.

I would like a USB printserver.

I would like to be able to set up a VPN here.

No ADSL modem (I'm on Cable Broadband)

Above all, I want SIP/IAX to not break.

Cheers, & happy new year!

Thanks for your replies.

This http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2900.html looks like it
might fit the bill............am I right?

Is it SIP aware?

I think you'd be better off with the 2900VG
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2900vg.html
--
Adrian A

Old January 3rd 06, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Adrian" wrote in message
Jono wrote:
Jono wrote:
[...]

Hmm, I don't need the VoIP ports as I have some ATAs, nor do I need wireless
as I have a WAP.

What I'm hoping is I can get something like the 2900, connect it up, set up
the port forwarding & expect my VoIP bits & pieces to work, as they are now.

Old January 3rd 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message
. uk

[snip]

Hmm, I don't need the VoIP ports as I have some ATAs, nor
do I need wireless as I have a WAP.

What I'm hoping is I can get something like the 2900,
connect it up, set up the port forwarding & expect my
VoIP bits & pieces to work, as they are now.

I'd go for a unit with built in VoIP as it will have QoS set up and there
won't be any port forwarding problems.

Keep the existing kit as spares or flog it on eBay.

Ivor

Old January 3rd 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Jono" wrote in message
. uk

[snip]

Hmm, I don't need the VoIP ports as I have some ATAs, nor
do I need wireless as I have a WAP.

What I'm hoping is I can get something like the 2900,
connect it up, set up the port forwarding & expect my
VoIP bits & pieces to work, as they are now.

I'd go for a unit with built in VoIP as it will have QoS set up and there
won't be any port forwarding problems.

Keep the existing kit as spares or flog it on eBay.

Ivor

That's too easy!

I use asterisk, so will require SIP/IAX port forwarding to work.

I have a PSTN Line connected with an SPA-3000, a gsm gateway connected with
another SPA-3000 and a small PBX connected with a SPA-2100.

Only want to replace the router :-(

Old January 3rd 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message
.uk

[snip]

That's too easy!

I use asterisk, so will require SIP/IAX port forwarding
to work.

But do you *need* Asterisk..? I have an instinctive dislike of anything
that requires a PC to be on in order to work. It's unnecessarily
complicated, I like things simple..!

I have a PSTN Line connected with an SPA-3000, a gsm
gateway connected with another SPA-3000 and a small PBX
connected with a SPA-2100.
Only want to replace the router :-(

I have an AVM Fritz!Box Fon with its 2 VoIP ports connected to two of the
exchange line ports on my PABX. A Sipura SPA-2000 is also plugged in
giving me another 2 phone ports, also connected to the PABX giving 4 VoIP
lines in all, plus 2 PSTN lines, although I may well get rid of one of
those. The Fritz!Box has a PSTN connection also, so dialling rules can be
set to route certain calls, such as those to mobiles and emergency calls,
out that way.

Ivor