Receiving faxes via VoIP - is it possible?

Old January 3rd 06, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr.Muppster

Default Receiving faxes via VoIP - is it possible?

Firstly my set-up.

Broadband supplied by blueyonder.
Wireless router.
USB gateway (as my desktop PC is always on).
DECT phone into gateway.

If I plug a fax machine into the gateway will I be able to receive fax's
via my internet telephone number?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Mr.M

Old January 3rd 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Mr.Muppster" wrote in message
. uk...
Firstly my set-up.

Broadband supplied by blueyonder.
Wireless router.
USB gateway (as my desktop PC is always on).
DECT phone into gateway.

If I plug a fax machine into the gateway will I be able to receive fax's
via my internet telephone number?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Mr.M

Who's your internet telephone number provider?

I've successfully used VoIP to receive & send faxes using Sipgate, haven't
tested any others.

Just try it. You could use something like http://www.tpc.int/ to send
yourself faxes free of charge to test.

I would also hesitate to suggest that you would succeed with a USB device.
You'd be much better off plugging your fax into an Ethernet based Analoge
Telephone Adapter (ATA)

Old January 3rd 06, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message
.uk
"Mr.Muppster" wrote
in message
. uk...
Firstly my set-up.

Broadband supplied by blueyonder.
Wireless router.
USB gateway (as my desktop PC is always on).
DECT phone into gateway.

If I plug a fax machine into the gateway will I be
able to receive fax's via my internet telephone number?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Mr.M

Who's your internet telephone number provider?

I've successfully used VoIP to receive & send faxes using
Sipgate, haven't tested any others.

Sipgate doesn't currently support the T38 protocol for fax transmission,
so it is a case of sometimes it might work, sometimes it might not. Have
your results been consistent..? I must admit I haven't tried it here.

Just try it. You could use something like
http://www.tpc.int/ to send yourself faxes free of charge
to test.

Or any number of free fax-to-email gateways to receive them. Unless you
are a prolific sender of faxes, there isn't much need for a standalone fax
machine any more, mine hasn't been used for months.

I would also hesitate to suggest that you would succeed
with a USB device. You'd be much better off plugging your
fax into an Ethernet based Analoge Telephone Adapter (ATA)

Don't like USB.

Ivor

Old January 3rd 06, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr.Muppster

Who's your internet telephone number provider?

I've successfully used VoIP to receive & send faxes using
Sipgate, haven't tested any others.

Sipgate doesn't currently support the T38 protocol for fax transmission,
so it is a case of sometimes it might work, sometimes it might not. Have
your results been consistent..? I must admit I haven't tried it here.

Very new to VoIP & currently using SKYPE but as of yet haven't purchased a
number but seriously thinking about it.

I would also hesitate to suggest that you would succeed
with a USB device. You'd be much better off plugging your
fax into an Ethernet based Analoge Telephone Adapter (ATA)

Don't like USB.

Ivor

Only using USB as I received a USB adapter as a freebie but will look into
purchasing a Ethernet based ATA as I get more serious especially as I work
from home. will also get a USB handset to plug into the laptop as I do have
to travel abroad every so often & will be useful for phoning home & cheaper
than mobile calls.

Any recommendations on a cheap reliable Ethernet based ATA?

I'm on Telewest/Blueyonder cable broadband & currently have a Dlink DI-624
WIFI router attached.

Thanks again for all the useful feedback & experienced responses.

Mr.M

Old January 3rd 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Jono" wrote in message
[...]

I tried a test fax to my Sipgate number, and it seemed to work OK.

Old January 3rd 06, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

I've successfully used VoIP to receive & send faxes using
Sipgate, haven't tested any others.

Sipgate doesn't currently support the T38 protocol for fax transmission,
so it is a case of sometimes it might work, sometimes it might not. Have
your results been consistent..? I must admit I haven't tried it here.

They might not support it, but it works, consistently, yes.

Just try it. You could use something like
http://www.tpc.int/ to send yourself faxes free of charge
to test.

Or any number of free fax-to-email gateways to receive them. Unless you
are a prolific sender of faxes, there isn't much need for a standalone fax
machine any more, mine hasn't been used for months.

When I say it work consistenly, I mean every time I've used it. I don't use
it much though, either!

I would also hesitate to suggest that you would succeed
with a USB device. You'd be much better off plugging your
fax into an Ethernet based Analoge Telephone Adapter (ATA)

Don't like USB.

Nor do I.

Old January 3rd 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Mr.Muppster" wrote in message

Only using USB as I received a USB adapter as a freebie but will look into
purchasing a Ethernet based ATA as I get more serious especially as I work
from home. will also get a USB handset to plug into the laptop as I do
have
to travel abroad every so often & will be useful for phoning home &
cheaper
than mobile calls.

Keep your USB adapter for travelling with your laptop. Better yet, buy an
ATA & take it with you. (you might need a little switch if you've only one
ethernet port to make use of). Then again if you've only got access to WiFi,
then the USB option's probably the best. If you get a handset, the Cybephone
K is pretty good - you can dial from the handset like an ordinary telephone
with either Skype or X-Lite.

Any recommendations on a cheap reliable Ethernet based ATA?

I like Sipura ATAs http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura.html ...........could they
be described as cheap? Certainly reliable.

Old January 3rd 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr.Muppster

Keep your USB adapter for travelling with your laptop. Better yet, buy an
ATA & take it with you. (you might need a little switch if you've only one
ethernet port to make use of). Then again if you've only got access to

WiFi,
then the USB option's probably the best. If you get a handset, the

Cybephone
K is pretty good - you can dial from the handset like an ordinary

telephone
with either Skype or X-Lite.

Would do, however, I then would lose the phone connection at home for when
I'm calling the wife.
Plus some hotels I stay in do tend to favour the WIFI network.
Hence utilising the USB would be beneficial.

Any recommendations on a cheap reliable Ethernet based ATA?

I like Sipura ATAs http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura.html ...........could

they
be described as cheap? Certainly reliable.

Prices not to bad - which product would you recommend?
Do I plug the ATA into my WIFI router or in between the cable modem & the
router?

Old January 3rd 06, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message
.uk
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

I've successfully used VoIP to receive & send faxes
using Sipgate, haven't tested any others.

Sipgate doesn't currently support the T38 protocol for
fax transmission, so it is a case of sometimes it might
work, sometimes it might not. Have your results been
consistent..? I must admit I haven't tried it here.

They might not support it, but it works, consistently,
yes.

Using what protocol at the Sipgate end..? I use G711a for voice.

Ivor

Old January 3rd 06, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

[...]

I would use it on one of the ports of your router.

They have a unit, spa3000, that integrates your PSTN line and has one
telephone port. With some jigery pokery, you can connect it between your
normal telephone socket and house phones, so any of your phones could use
PSTN or VoIP. (for inbound or outbound)

The spa2100 has two independent telephone ports.

There's a model that has just one telephone port.