Echo at the "callee" phone

Old January 5th 06, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Echo at the "callee" phone

Used VOIPstunt yesterday in my office with no probs at all; after a
certain amount of messing with my router settings. That's running with
an ordinary dect phone plugged into the VOIP port on a 512/128
broadband cable router.

Today, at home, I downloaded the sotware and ran it on my PC; connected
to a 150/64 internet connection. Microphone and speakers, no proper
handset.

I had what can best be described as a perfect connection; but the poor
so and so's at the other end said they had a three second delayed echo
of their own voice - and that was to three different numbers.

Any suggestions for changes at my end? I know I needed to change the
codec being used in my router; any way of doing that on my own PC?

Cheers;

Tim

Old January 5th 06, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Adamson

wrote in message
ups.com...
Used VOIPstunt yesterday in my office with no probs at all; after a
certain amount of messing with my router settings. That's running with
an ordinary dect phone plugged into the VOIP port on a 512/128
broadband cable router.

Today, at home, I downloaded the sotware and ran it on my PC; connected
to a 150/64 internet connection. Microphone and speakers, no proper
handset.

Get a headset (can be got from a pound shop). This should remove the echo
almost entirely, although you may want to pay a bit more for one that will
do it better, or use separate microphone and headphones (I think that would
eliminate it more?)

Old January 5th 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

wrote in message
ups.com...
Used VOIPstunt yesterday in my office with no probs at all; after a
certain amount of messing with my router settings. That's running with
an ordinary dect phone plugged into the VOIP port on a 512/128
broadband cable router.

Today, at home, I downloaded the sotware and ran it on my PC; connected
to a 150/64 internet connection. Microphone and speakers, no proper
handset.

I had what can best be described as a perfect connection; but the poor
so and so's at the other end said they had a three second delayed echo
of their own voice - and that was to three different numbers.

Any suggestions for changes at my end? I know I needed to change the
codec being used in my router; any way of doing that on my own PC?

Cheers;

Tim

The codec that voipstunt uses is 64k in each direction... a connection that
I tried voipstunt on that was 512/64 caused so many issues it was unusable.
However the same router with exactly the same settings on a 2mb/200k
connection worked perfectly, so it *could* be your upload bandwidth causing
issues.
Although from your setup and symptoms it could be that you need a headset
and your ISP is being generous and giving you slightly more than 64k upload,
getting one for a pound won't hurt to try it out!

Alex

Old January 6th 06, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news

In message , Alex
writes

Although from your setup and symptoms it could be that you need a headset
and your ISP is being generous and giving you slightly more than 64k upload,
getting one for a pound won't hurt to try it out!

Where can you get a headset for a pound? I've looked everywhere, and
they're a jolly sight more than a pound!

--
Ian
Old January 6th 06, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh news:
In message , Alex
writes

Although from your setup and symptoms it could be that you need a
headset and your ISP is being generous and giving you slightly more
than 64k upload, getting one for a pound won't hurt to try it out!

Where can you get a headset for a pound? I've looked everywhere, and
they're a jolly sight more than a pound!

I've seen them in poundland.

However I paid 2.95 for my headset, excellent quality too. Not used as often
as it was, now I have an ATA.

Old January 10th 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thanks, all; I think it must be the upload speed of my connection; I
did mess around with the microphone and speakers; including covering
the mike with my hand for long periods while my sister was talking (and
that can be a "long" period...) and she still had the echo.

I'm buying a Sipura ATA for home; I'm going to have to upgrade my
connection to 4Mbps - because such is the "demand" that I'll then get a
whole 150 kbps upstream!!

Tim