My own email address as a SIP address?

Old January 5th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default My own email address as a SIP address?

I'm seeking info on how to setup my own email address as a SIP address.

Googled without any positive success.

Any pointers appreciated.

Many thanks

Old January 5th 06, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

I'm seeking info on how to setup my own email address as
a SIP address.
Googled without any positive success.

Any pointers appreciated.

Many thanks

I think you'd have to run your own SIP server. Not sure how you'd go about
it, but out of interest why do you want to..?

Ivor

Old January 5th 06, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

wrote in message

I'm seeking info on how to setup my own email address as
a SIP address.
Googled without any positive success.

Any pointers appreciated.

Many thanks

I think you'd have to run your own SIP server. Not sure how you'd go about
it, but out of interest why do you want to..?

Ivor

Give out a personalised SIP address.

Old January 5th 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in
message

[snip]

You might also want to think of the complications of how
you might actually dial am email address from a phone
(depends on the VoIP phone or ATA, but it's going to be a
real in the ass
on some of them). Dialling something like
probably at the limit of what's
reasonable of you're using a real phone keypad --
is probably well over 100
button presses and horribly error prone.

Which is why we use SIP providers to give us "normal" phone numbers..!

Ivor

Old January 6th 06, 02:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Jono wrote:

Can Asterisk be used, Tim?

Yes. Its a bit complicated for what the original poster asked for.

Tim
Old January 6th 06, 02:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
You certainly could do it this way, but I think you could
alternatively arrange your VoIP phone (or ATA) has the IP address
of your own email domain, and avoid running a SIP server.

If you change ISP, your IP address changes.

I'm sure that dial by IP address is discouraged/forbidded in the RFC's
anyway.

You might also want to think of the complications of how you
might actually dial am email address from a phone (depends on
the VoIP phone or ATA, but it's going to be a real in the ass
on some of them). Dialling something like
probably at the limit of what's reasonable of you're using a
real phone keypad -- is probably
well over 100 button presses and horribly error prone.

Common callers in the address book. For everybody else, just pay the
telco - not worth pressing the buttons to save a few p.

[Roll on enum]

Tim