Finarea Betamax

Old January 5th 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

Default Finarea Betamax

Hope this isn't old news, but I notice that the "about us" links have
changed on voipbuster, voipstunt and netappel.fr

The company name no longer says Finarea. It's now:
Betamax GmbH & Co.Kg
Im Mediapark 8
50670 Köln
Germany

http://www.betamax.com/press_news.php?language=

On voipcheap it still says finarea and sipdiscount doesn't seem to have
an about us link.

Paul

Old January 6th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

paul123 wrote:

Hope this isn't old news, but I notice that the "about us" links have
changed on voipbuster, voipstunt and netappel.fr

The company name no longer says Finarea. It's now:
Betamax GmbH & Co.Kg
Im Mediapark 8
50670 Köln
Germany

http://www.betamax.com/press_news.php?language=

I can't believe no-one else has said this yet, but...who is the VHS of VOIP?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:40:02 up 5 days, 5:57, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.18, 0.36

Old January 7th 06, 01:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin˛

I can't believe no-one else has said this yet, but...who is the VHS of
VOIP?

Skype of course ! And just like in the VCR wars the cheap and nasty format
might win...

BTW Phillips 2000 was by far the technically best VCR format, killed by
Phillips refusing to licence it and/or asking too much. But the
manufacturers have not learned, see HD DVD vs Blue Ray etc.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 7th 06, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Martin˛ wrote:
I can't believe no-one else has said this yet, but...who is the VHS of
VOIP?

Skype of course ! And just like in the VCR wars the cheap and nasty format
might win...

Probably.

BTW Phillips 2000 was by far the technically best VCR format, killed by
Phillips refusing to licence it and/or asking too much. But the
manufacturers have not learned, see HD DVD vs Blue Ray etc.
Regards,
Martin

The techinically best has never won (I may still have some Video2000
cassettes somewhere).

Did you ever hear the Urban Legend (presumably, I very much doubt it is
true) regarding why Sony's Betamax format never took off?
Old January 7th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in message
newszFvf.69523
Did you ever hear the Urban Legend (presumably, I very much doubt it is
true) regarding why Sony's Betamax format never took off?

You could've at least put the "Urban Legend" in your post.!

Old January 7th 06, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Jono wrote:
"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in message
newszFvf.69523

Did you ever hear the Urban Legend (presumably, I very much doubt it is
true) regarding why Sony's Betamax format never took off?

You could've at least put the "Urban Legend" in your post.!

Well, according to an article I read in 3do magazine, one of the reasons
the Betamax format didn't take off was because Sony refused to grant a
license to anyone who wanted to make pornographic films.

Don't know if it's true, but funny all the same.
Old January 7th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Thomas Kenyon wrote:

Well, according to an article I read in 3do magazine, one of the reasons
the Betamax format didn't take off was because Sony refused to grant a
license to anyone who wanted to make pornographic films.

Don't know if it's true, but funny all the same.

Doesn't sound convincing to me. We all know that Sony have no morals
whatsoever after the DRM-from-hell spyware fiasco.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
15:52:00 up 6 days, 3:09, 1 user, load average: 0.22, 0.43, 0.35

Old January 8th 06, 02:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin˛

Kenyon:
Well, according to an article I read in 3do magazine, one of the reasons
the Betamax format didn't take off was because Sony refused to grant a
license to anyone who wanted to make pornographic films.

Doesn't make sense, nothing to stop anyone buying lot of Betamax recorders
and cassettes and just doing it.

One often quoted reason why VHS von was that it took off in big way in India
& Pakistan and that brought the price way down bellow what Betmax could be
made for.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 8th 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Martin˛ wrote:
Doesn't make sense, nothing to stop anyone buying lot of Betamax recorders
and cassettes and just doing it.

One often quoted reason why VHS von was that it took off in big way in India
& Pakistan and that brought the price way down bellow what Betmax could be
made for.

Pass, whatever the reason, Sony and mei have never really made friends
since. :-)
Old January 8th 06, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Martin˛ wrote:
Doesn't make sense, nothing to stop anyone buying lot of Betamax
recorders and cassettes and just doing it.

One often quoted reason why VHS von was that it took off in big way in
India & Pakistan and that brought the price way down bellow what Betmax
could be made for.

Pass, whatever the reason, Sony and mei have never really made friends
since. :-)

mei - that's a new word? combination of me & I. Mei likes it ;-)