Those of you with ATA adaptors

Old January 5th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
~Gifted~

Default Those of you with ATA adaptors

Hi

If you have an ATA adaptor, as opposed to a router with VOIP ports, how do
you manage Quality of Service to ensure that your calls audio doesn't
stutter?

Thanks

Old January 5th 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:23:10 -0000, "~Gifted~" ~ wrote:

Hi

If you have an ATA adaptor, as opposed to a router with VOIP ports, how do
you manage Quality of Service to ensure that your calls audio doesn't
stutter?

Thanks

The QoS can only be determined by the router that you have your ATA
plugged into. It is not a property of the ATA. If your router doesn't
have QoS then you are stuck.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Old January 5th 06, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
~Gifted~

"~Gifted~" ~ wrote in message
news
Hi

If you have an ATA adaptor, as opposed to a router with VOIP ports, how do
you manage Quality of Service to ensure that your calls audio doesn't
stutter?

Thanks

Okay rephrase the question as it was misinterpreted.

what I meant was, what rule do you set in your router's QOS admin page for
the VOIP adaptor?

Old January 5th 06, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

~Gifted~ wrote:
|| "~Gifted~" ~ wrote in message
|| news ||| Hi
||| If you have an ATA adaptor, as opposed to a router with VOIP ports,
||| how do you manage Quality of Service to ensure that your calls
||| audio doesn't stutter?

Throtle downloads, or at least I do, if necessary.

||| Thanks
|| Okay rephrase the question as it was misinterpreted.

.......hmm. Perhaps the question was mis-represented ;-)

|| what I meant was, what rule do you set in your router's QOS admin
|| page for the VOIP adaptor?

Are you asking general questions, or do you want an answer to your specific
situation? If specific help is needed, let us know whether you have an ATA
plugged into a non-VoIP router, or a VoIP router with QOS.

Old January 6th 06, 01:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

~Gifted~ wrote:
what I meant was, what rule do you set in your router's QOS admin page for
the VOIP adaptor?

Usually the IP address of the ATA.

Tim
Old January 6th 06, 02:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

~Gifted:
what rule do you set in your router's QOS admin page for the VOIP adaptor?

That will depend on the router.
Draytek lets you select priority for selected packet types, i.e. you can set
SIP packets to take 70% of bandwidth (recommended setting).
The QoS setup page(s) aren't at all obvious and the instructions are NOT in
the manual and hard to find on their web pages !

Zyxel 2602HW/L is much simpler, listed in manual, IIRC you just select QoS
for VoIP.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 6th 06, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

~Gifted~ wrote:
Hi

If you have an ATA adaptor, as opposed to a router with VOIP ports, how do
you manage Quality of Service to ensure that your calls audio doesn't
stutter?

Thanks

well in my case my router (an Intertex IX67) has a SIP alg and all that
is required is to enter in the upstream & downstream speeds. It then
just makes sure enough bandwidth is available for calls by throttling
back other traffic (obviously only until you try to put more calls
through than your Internet bandwidth will allow). If you use the VoIP
ports on the router it'll also chose low bandwidth codecs if you're
running out of bandwidth too. It's a godsend really on my NTL
connection where the upstream speed is 128k at best, I've seen it as low
as 50kbps!

If the router isn't SIP aware then set the ATA on a static IP &
prioritise any traffic going to & from that IP address.
Old January 6th 06, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Paul Hayes" wrote in message
.. .

If the router isn't SIP aware

Any inexpensive ones available for cable broadband? (ideally with a USB
print server.)

I'm told that the Vigor 2900 has SIP ALG (From their tech support "The
telnet command is ' sys sip_alg 1 '")

Unfortunately, DrayTek seem unable to confirm that the 2900 will or won't
break my setup, using asterisk.

Old January 6th 06, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 02:52:32 -0000, "Martin²" wrote:

Draytek lets you select priority for selected packet types, i.e. you can set
SIP packets to take 70% of bandwidth (recommended setting).

How do you select the packet type for SIP? I've had to use IP
addresses.

The QoS setup page(s) aren't at all obvious and the instructions are NOT in
the manual and hard to find on their web pages !

I'm not even convinced that I have done. What I found there wasn't
really a lot of help.
--
Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html