I must be jinxed - VoIP is not going to happen for me!

Old January 6th 06, 09:39 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.voip
Jon

Default I must be jinxed - VoIP is not going to happen for me!

Right.

I've bought a box from an "internet phone shop" - a "Fritz box fon ATA"

I've been faffing about for hours and I can't get the ******* going, and
I'm just about ready to punch the wall.

Can anyone help?

Using:

Plusnet ADSL 2 meg
Draytek Vigor 2600VG router
I'm forwarding 5060, 8000 and 8001 (TCP and UDP) to the IP of the fritz
The fritz is also in the DMZ
The "Internet" LED on the fritz will not come on, although I can't be
sure from the manual if it should be on or not.
I can access the Fritz web configurator by browsing to 192.168.1.10

I have the following parameters in the internet telephony bit:

Use Internet Number - checked
Internet number: 207132 (my SIP ID provided by plusnet)
Username: plustalk (provided by Plusnet)
Password: my plusnet password
Registrar: sip.plus.net
STUN server: stun.xten.net (as recommended by plusnet)

Can I make calls? Can I buggery.

Dialling my plustalk 0845 number ends up stright to the american
voicemail robot, which sounds really crap by the way.

Grrrrrrrrr!
--
Regards
Jon
Old January 6th 06, 09:40 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.voip
Jon

declared for all the world to hear...
[...]

And the last entry in the event log is "Registration of Internet number
plustalk failed. Remote site reports reason for error 407"
--
Regards
Jon
Old January 7th 06, 12:08 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.voip
Brian

Try Skype!

"Alfie [UK]" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 21:40:58 -0000, Jon
wrote:
And the last entry in the event log is "Registration of Internet
number
plustalk failed. Remote site reports reason for error 407"

Error 407 is 'proxy authentication required'. Make sure if you have a
proxy set that it has the correct settings and that username/password
is
set correctly.
--
Alfie
http://www.delphia.co.uk/

Old January 7th 06, 01:42 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.voip
Peter M

Jon wrote:

Can anyone help?
Can I make calls? Can I buggery.

Only to mention uk.telecom.voip and you can get a free number
/SIP account with voicemail from the PSTN at Sipgate.co.uk if
you want a separate service with quite a lot of existing users
(so if there's a problem they may be able to help) for testing.

Old January 7th 06, 12:14 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.voip

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 10:42:04 -0000, Jon
wrote:

I'm forwarding UDP 10000, 5060 and 5004 to the IP of the Fritz (which is
still in DMZ). Any ideas anyone?

For voip.co.uk I forward

5060 and 5061 (it's a two line jobbie)
53
69
10001 - 20000
(all UDP)

For sipgate I forward

5060
5004
10000
(all UDP)
3478
(UDP and TCP)

and it works: all three lines work just fine at the same time.

Obviously the two ATAs are on different external IPs!

I've no idea if this is the optimal setup, but it does work.
--
Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
Old January 8th 06, 02:59 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Jon:
I'm forwarding UDP 10000, 5060 and 5004 to the IP of the Fritz (which is
still in DMZ). Any ideas anyone?

You also need to forward ports 8000 8001 (also 8002 & 8003 if you using more
then one line) and 3478, 3479 to the Fritz!
You may have to open and forward ports 16348 to 32768 for some VoIP
services.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 9th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter

[plusnet.service.customer-feedback removed as it doesn't exist.]

Jon wrote:
[...]
I'm forwarding UDP 10000, 5060 and 5004 to the IP of the Fritz
(which is still in DMZ). Any ideas anyone?

Giving your SIP device a public IP address gets rid of a right load of
NAT-related hassle.

--
The point of living, and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to
believe the best is yet to come.