Draytek Vigor 2900

Old January 7th 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Default Draytek Vigor 2900

I'm in conversation with Draytek's pre-sales dept..............

Here's the most recent reply:

Hello,

We really don't know of anyone who has run an Asterisk server on
a Vigor2900. There are doubtless people around, but it's relatively
rare. Most people don't run SIP servers.

Regards,

All I want to know is, if I buy one of these routers, will it break my setup
or not. Can't get a definitive answer from suppliers or the manufacturer, so
hope someone here uses this model with Asterisk.........?

Old January 7th 06, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Jono wrote:

I'm in conversation with Draytek's pre-sales dept..............

Here's the most recent reply:

Hello,

We really don't know of anyone who has run an Asterisk server on
a Vigor2900.

Then they're lying to you. However, if they said Yes, then you'd be on the
phone asking for support as soon as you couldn't get it to work, which they
don't want.

There are doubtless people around, but it's relatively
rare. Most people don't run SIP servers.

Regards,

All I want to know is, if I buy one of these routers, will it break my
setup or not. Can't get a definitive answer from suppliers or the
manufacturer, so hope someone here uses this model with Asterisk.........?

Plenty of people have slagged it off here in this august forum, so
personally I would avoid it.

If you've got an asterisk box anyway, stick two NICs in it and a few
iptables rules, et voila you have a 'VoIP router'. You can even effect QoS
with deft use of 'tc', or if that's too much of a mind bender [well it is
for me], it's got a pretty front end called the Wondershaper. Google knows
what the Wondershaper is.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:02:39 up 6 days, 3:19, 1 user, load average: 0.16, 0.14, 0.22

Old January 7th 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

alexd wrote:
Jono wrote:

All I want to know is, if I buy one of these routers, will it break my
setup or not. Can't get a definitive answer from suppliers or the
manufacturer, so hope someone here uses this model with Asterisk.........?

Plenty of people have slagged it off here in this august forum, so
personally I would avoid it.

If you've got an asterisk box anyway, stick two NICs in it and a few
iptables rules, et voila you have a 'VoIP router'. You can even effect QoS
with deft use of 'tc', or if that's too much of a mind bender [well it is
for me], it's got a pretty front end called the Wondershaper. Google knows
what the Wondershaper is.

But don't forget, If you have any registered G.729 licenses, then they
will become invalid (and need reregistering (which can only be done
once) if you add/change a network card.
Old January 9th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Corlett

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
[...]
But don't forget, If you have any registered G.729 licenses, then
they will become invalid (and need reregistering (which can only be
done once) if you add/change a network card.

This would only apply to Digium's G.729 codec, and the registration is
mainly down to the restrictions in the patent license.

Software is not currently patentable UK, so you don't need a license.
There are free G.729 codecs doing the rounds that don't need this
registration and it is perfectly legal to use them.

Your advice is still useful to anybody who has bought the Digium codec
for whatever reason.

--
In Peoples China, the workers take the lead.
In capitalist England, the sods also take the copper piping, floorboards,