Calling Sipgate from 3

Old January 10th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Millington

Default Calling Sipgate from 3

I just tried to call my Sipgate number from a 3 mobile and got "the
number you are calling is not compatible with the service you are
using" message.

However, when the signal falls back to 2.5G (on 02) it works fine.

Anyone else seen this?

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -
Old January 10th 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Stuart Millington" wrote in message

I just tried to call my Sipgate number from a 3 mobile
and got "the number you are calling is not compatible
with the service you are using" message.

However, when the signal falls back to 2.5G (on 02) it
works fine.

Anyone else seen this?

Sounds like 3 haven't enabled the numbering range, what do their CS say..?
I had this problem on one of my lines from Telewest, it took them ages to
enable the prefix but it works fine now.

Ivor

Old January 10th 06, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Millington

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:27:30 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Sounds like 3 haven't enabled the numbering range, what do their CS say..?

Something unintelligible probably :-( I think I'll let them know by
e-mail, even with a week's turnaround time, it'll be quicker than
learning Hindi!

Old January 10th 06, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Millington

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:59:39 GMT, "GwG"
wrote:

My 01xx Sipgate number works fine from my 3 mobile..

Thanks. In that case, I'll try a few more times in case it's a glitch
before contacting 3.

Old January 10th 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jodokus

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:17:26 +0000, Stuart Millington
wrote:

I just tried to call my Sipgate number from a 3 mobile and got "the
number you are calling is not compatible with the service you are
using" message.

However, when the signal falls back to 2.5G (on 02) it works fine.

Anyone else seen this?

Then the explanation is quite simple: O2 knows the number range, while
3 does not. But, I wonder how they charge calling these numbers.

Jodokus
Old January 10th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote:

I just tried to call my Sipgate number from a 3 mobile
and got "the number you are calling is not compatible
with the service you are using" message.

However, when the signal falls back to 2.5G (on 02) it
works fine.

Anyone else seen this?

Then the explanation is quite simple: O2 knows the number
range, while 3 does not. But, I wonder how they charge
calling these numbers.

They are normal UK geographic numbers. That is how they should be charged,
why would you think any different..?

Ivor

Old January 10th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jodokus

wrote:

I just tried to call my Sipgate number from a 3 mobile
and got "the number you are calling is not compatible
with the service you are using" message.

However, when the signal falls back to 2.5G (on 02) it
works fine.

Anyone else seen this?

Then the explanation is quite simple: O2 knows the number
range, while 3 does not. But, I wonder how they charge
calling these numbers.

They are normal UK geographic numbers. That is how they should be charged,
why would you think any different..?

Sorry, I was in error. When I signed up with Sipgate I was not able to
choose a geographic number, only 0845 or 0870. It may have something
to do with the fact that I'm using a non Brithish IP address.

Jodokus
Old January 10th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

"Stuart Millington" wrote in message

I just tried to call my Sipgate number from a 3 mobile and got "the
number you are calling is not compatible with the service you are
using" message.

However, when the signal falls back to 2.5G (on 02) it works fine.

Anyone else seen this?

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -

Calling to sipgate from my 3 phone works fine, and has done ever since i
first tried it so its not a generic problem...

Alex

Old January 10th 06, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jodokus" wrote in message

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 20:03:16 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

[snip]

They are normal UK geographic numbers. That is how they
should be charged, why would you think any different..?

Sorry, I was in error. When I signed up with Sipgate I
was not able to choose a geographic number, only 0845 or
0870. It may have something to do with the fact that I'm
using a non Brithish IP address.

Yes that's correct, you need to use a UK address to get a geographic
number. The charges for 0845/0870 numbers should be on the appropriate
tariff's information.

Ivor

Jodokus