SPA-3000 - Connecting to simulated PSTN line

Old January 11th 06, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default SPA-3000 - Connecting to simulated PSTN line

I want to use the PSTN connection on my SPA-3000 to connect to a '
door phone' (just a standard phone).
I have simulated the line by a 50V d.c. supply connected via a 1k Ohm
resistor - I have used this rechnique successfully before to link
phones.
I have tried to connect to the line, in the dial plan, by:-
#00,::@gw0
and also by
#00,:xx.:@gw0
Neither work.
I have enabled the line under 'PSTN Line'.
All I want to do is to be able to dial #00 and for the house phones to
connect to a phone on the simullated PSTN connection.
Is it not responding because the ATA requires a dial tone or are there
some other settings I need to change?
Suggestions please!
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 11th 06, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Brian A wrote:
I want to use the PSTN connection on my SPA-3000 to connect to a '
door phone' (just a standard phone).
I have simulated the line by a 50V d.c. supply connected via a 1k Ohm
resistor - I have used this rechnique successfully before to link
phones.

I don't think you need to do this bit.

If the door phone behaves just like a normal phone, then you need to
connect to the phone side of the SPA-3000.

If you wanted to connect other phones too, then you need an SPA-2002.
This has two phone ports.

Tim
Old January 11th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:30:53 +0000, Tim Bray
wrote:

Brian A wrote:
I want to use the PSTN connection on my SPA-3000 to connect to a '
door phone' (just a standard phone).
I have simulated the line by a 50V d.c. supply connected via a 1k Ohm
resistor - I have used this rechnique successfully before to link
phones.

I don't think you need to do this bit.

If the door phone behaves just like a normal phone, then you need to
connect to the phone side of the SPA-3000.

If you wanted to connect other phones too, then you need an SPA-2002.
This has two phone ports.

Tim

I am not sure that you have understood my question. On the SPA-3000
there is a socket intended for PSTN. That means that will connect to a
'powered' line. If I had a BT line there, for example, I would be able
to connect to it from my other phones dependent on the settings of the
ATA. I simply want to 'dial in' to a phone on that line. I have a
locally powered line and a phone connected on that port. All I need
to do is make the phones on the voip side connect with that phone in
the same way as they would if it was a standard landline. The ability
to connect to that port is a standard operation of the SPA-3000. My
question relates to what settings or changes I should make to get this
up and running.
My dial plan for that connection is #00,::@gw0 and I have nabled
the line. Now, as it isn't working, but giving an unobtainable tone,
what other changes should I make - that is the question. For example,
does the ATA need a dial tone to operate.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

#00,::@gw0
and also by
#00,:xx.:@gw0
Neither work.

I would try a scheme which doesn't include # or * to start
with, just to rule out those characters as being the problem.

I have enabled the line under 'PSTN Line'.
All I want to do is to be able to dial #00 and for the house phones to
connect to a phone on the simullated PSTN connection.
Is it not responding because the ATA requires a dial tone or are there
some other settings I need to change?

I would have a look at the web interface "info" tab,
PSTN Line Status. That should tell you what state the
SPA-3000 thinks the line is in.

--
Andrew Gabriel

#00,::@gw0
and also by
#00,:xx.:@gw0
Neither work.
I have enabled the line under 'PSTN Line'.
All I want to do is to be able to dial #00 and for the house phones to
connect to a phone on the simullated PSTN connection.
Is it not responding because the ATA requires a dial tone or are there
some other settings I need to change?
Suggestions please!

Brian, I found it impossible to get the SPA-3000 to select a gateway
using #0 as the code. It works with every other digit apart from zero.
Try
#9,:x.:@gw0
and see if that works. It seems to be an undocumented feature that zero
cannot be used for gateway access.

Old January 12th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Adamson

#9,:x.:@gw0
and see if that works. It seems to be an undocumented feature that zero
cannot be used for gateway access.

I have #0 working to give me a gateway on my SPA3000

Old January 12th 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

#9,:x.:@gw0
and see if that works. It seems to be an undocumented feature that zero
cannot be used for gateway access.

I have #0 working to give me a gateway on my SPA3000

Which gateway does it work with?
Old January 13th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Adamson

#9,:x.:@gw0
and see if that works. It seems to be an undocumented feature that zero
cannot be used for gateway access.

I have #0 working to give me a gateway on my SPA3000

Which gateway does it work with?

It actually goes to my main registered gateway, so maybe that is why it
works?, ie
|#0,:xx.|

Normal calls go via gw1