How do they do it?

Old January 13th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Rogers

Default How do they do it?

I don't really understand the voip business model.

How do companies like voipcheap and others make money?

Can someone explain.

Old January 13th 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Michael Rogers" wrote
in message
I don't really understand the voip business model.

How do companies like voipcheap and others make money?

Can someone explain.

Most of them make money on the credit that you deposit to be able to make
PSTN calls. A tenner a time from potentially thousands of customers is
earning good interest.

Of course there are always some fools who will pay a tenner a month to
someone like Vonage.

Ivor

Old January 13th 06, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Adamson

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Michael Rogers" wrote
in message
I don't really understand the voip business model.

How do companies like voipcheap and others make money?

Can someone explain.

Most of them make money on the credit that you deposit to be able to make
PSTN calls. A tenner a time from potentially thousands of customers is
earning good interest.

Of course there are always some fools who will pay a tenner a month to
someone like Vonage.

Ivor

What happened to the 'its not for me' type mentality that you had before.
You have repeatedly said that you would never use the vonage model, as
understandably it doesn't suit your usage needs.

Branding all users of such a model as fools reinforces my increasing opinion
that you like the attention of trolls and miss it. Please don't encourage it
when we are almost free of them.

Old January 13th 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Mark Adamson" wrote in
message
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Michael Rogers"
wrote in message
I don't really understand the voip business model.

How do companies like voipcheap and others make money?

Can someone explain.

Most of them make money on the credit that you deposit
to be able to make PSTN calls. A tenner a time from
potentially thousands of customers is earning good
interest. Of course there are always some fools who will pay a
tenner a month to someone like Vonage.

Ivor

What happened to the 'its not for me' type mentality that
you had before. You have repeatedly said that you would
never use the vonage model, as understandably it doesn't
suit your usage needs.

Hmm, ok, fair enough. I do think anyone who would pay the same cost per
month as for a landline for a VoIP service which doesn't even let you use
your own unlocked ATA a trifle silly though.

Branding all users of such a model as fools reinforces my
increasing opinion that you like the attention of trolls
and miss it. Please don't encourage it when we are almost
free of them.

You are entitled to your opinion. You're wrong, but don't let that affect
what you choose to think.

Ivor

Old January 13th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Mark Adamson:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Michael Rogers" wrote
in message
I don't really understand the voip business model.

How do companies like voipcheap and others make money?

Can someone explain.

Most of them make money on the credit that you deposit to be able to
make PSTN calls. A tenner a time from potentially thousands of
customers is earning good interest.

Of course there are always some fools who will pay a tenner a month
to someone like Vonage.

Ivor

What happened to the 'its not for me' type mentality that you had
before. You have repeatedly said that you would never use the vonage
model, as understandably it doesn't suit your usage needs.

Branding all users of such a model as fools reinforces my increasing
opinion that you like the attention of trolls and miss it. Please
don't encourage it when we are almost free of them.

But who in the right mind would pay 10/month when you can use the likes of
voip cheap, sip discount and voip stunt?

Old January 13th 06, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

Not that I would be interested in Vonage but the Finarea companies DO
have their limitations - voicemail is one service that springs to mind.

Old January 13th 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh paul123:
Not that I would be interested in Vonage but the Finarea companies DO
have their limitations - voicemail is one service that springs to
mind.

Don't use voicemail on my main numbers, as I don't see it fair that someone
has to pay to find out I am either busy or not quick enough to answer.
However I do have a sigate number set up for the sole purpose of voicemail, so
if someone can't contact me on my standard number, can't or don't want to call
a mobile, can't or don't want to send a text, they can then choose to call my
voicemail number - they have the choice to pay to leave a message, not have it
forced upon them.

Old January 13th 06, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

You asked the question: "But who in the right mind would pay 10/month
when you can use the likes of voip cheap, sip discount and voip stunt?"
I was only trying to answer it.

All I'm suggesting is that some people (particularly the less
technically minded) want all that a company like Vonage offer - a
complete service without the hassle of setting up different numbers for
voicemail etc.

Apart from voicemail, call waiting, call forwarding, 999 calling, call
hunt, ringback and international call barring are some of the other
services included.

Old January 13th 06, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message

Thus spaketh paul123:
Not that I would be interested in Vonage but the
Finarea companies DO have their limitations - voicemail
is one service that springs to mind.

Don't use voicemail on my main numbers, as I don't see it
fair that someone has to pay to find out I am either busy
or not quick enough to answer. However I do have a sigate
number set up for the sole purpose of voicemail, so if
someone can't contact me on my standard number, can't or
don't want to call a mobile, can't or don't want to send
a text, they can then choose to call my voicemail number
- they have the choice to pay to leave a message, not
have it forced upon them.

As the vast majority of my calls are SIP - SIP then it doesn't matter as
the caller won't be charged anyway.

Ivor

Old January 13th 06, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"paul123" wrote in message
oups.com
You asked the question: "But who in the right mind would
pay 10/month when you can use the likes of voip cheap,
sip discount and voip stunt?" I was only trying to answer
it.

All I'm suggesting is that some people (particularly the
less technically minded) want all that a company like
Vonage offer - a complete service without the hassle of
setting up different numbers for voicemail etc.

Apart from voicemail, call waiting, call forwarding, 999
calling, call hunt, ringback and international call
barring are some of the other services included.

But why use a VoIP service..? They could simply use a normal landline and
get all those facilities. One of the main reasons for using VoIP is saving
money, why spend almost as much as on a landline to get it..?

Ivor