Is it possible to call a pc with a softphone from a voipphone ?

Old January 14th 06, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brandy

Default Is it possible to call a pc with a softphone from a voipphone ?

Hy
I have bought a VOIP Phone (SIP), and on the instructionthey say that
I can call an IP NUmber. What must i dial if the softphone is ona a
LAN ?
Thanks for any help
Joseph
Old January 14th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Brandy" wrote in message
Hy
I have bought a VOIP Phone (SIP), and on the instructionthey say that
I can call an IP NUmber. What must i dial if the softphone is ona a
LAN ?
Thanks for any help
Joseph

What type of phone (make etc)?

Which softphone?

More details......?

Often you would dial the IP address of the softphone thus:
192*168*1*2 (where starts/asterisks represent the dot.)

Old January 15th 06, 02:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Yes. You need to know the IP address of the router / computer, i.e. as seen
from the internet,
(not the LAN address e.g. 192.168.1.11 as Jono suggested). Your
correspondent will need to have working SIP
device (softphone running), and with correct forwarded ports.
If you correspondent hasn't got a static IP, you will need to obtain it
every time before making the call :-(
When dialling use * instead of . and usually prefix and finish with # (this
may differ with your equipment).
Thus for 123.45.78.90 you dial #123*45*78*90#

Please note that softphones provided by Finarea - Voipbuster etc. as yet
don't accept incoming calls, and when they do they may not work by IP number
(?).
HTH
Regards,
Martin

Old January 15th 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 02:37:51 -0000, "Martin²" wrote:

If you correspondent hasn't got a static IP, you will need to obtain it
every time before making the call :-(

So, would the use of something like http://www.dyndns.com/ be of use
here?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 16th 06, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Brian A wrote:
So, would the use of something like http://www.dyndns.com/ be of use
here?

Yes, but it negates the whole benefit of SIP.

That being that your network location is tracked by SIP registration.

Tim
Old January 16th 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Tim Bray" wrote in message

Brian A wrote:
So, would the use of something like
http://www.dyndns.com/ be of use here?

Yes, but it negates the whole benefit of SIP.

That being that your network location is tracked by SIP
registration.

Tim

Why is it of benefit that my location is tracked..?

Ivor

Old January 16th 06, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Tim Bray" wrote in message

Brian A wrote:

So, would the use of something like
http://www.dyndns.com/ be of use here?

Yes, but it negates the whole benefit of SIP.

That being that your network location is tracked by SIP
registration.

Tim

Why is it of benefit that my location is tracked..?

Ivor

So you don't have to care what your IP address is. Just like you
wouldn't use an IP address instead of an email address. If you tell
everyone your IP address & then go away on a business trip, no one will
be able to call you unless you tell them all your new IP address while
you are away.

The whole idea is that you are reachable at one SIP address no matter
where in the world you happen to be at that time.

Paul.
Old January 16th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Paul Hayes" wrote in message

Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

Why is it of benefit that my location is tracked..?

Ivor

So you don't have to care what your IP address is. Just
like you wouldn't use an IP address instead of an email
address. If you tell everyone your IP address & then go
away on a business trip, no one will be able to call you
unless you tell them all your new IP address while you
are away.
The whole idea is that you are reachable at one SIP
address no matter where in the world you happen to be at
that time.

I can do that now without having to use dyndns. I plug my ATA into the
nearest ADSL-equipped router and it works. They dial my phone number and
it rings. People call me with phone numbers, not IP addresses.

Ivor

Old January 16th 06, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Paul Hayes" wrote in message

Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

Why is it of benefit that my location is tracked..?

Ivor

So you don't have to care what your IP address is. Just
like you wouldn't use an IP address instead of an email
address. If you tell everyone your IP address & then go
away on a business trip, no one will be able to call you
unless you tell them all your new IP address while you
are away.
The whole idea is that you are reachable at one SIP
address no matter where in the world you happen to be at
that time.

I can do that now without having to use dyndns. I plug my ATA into the
nearest ADSL-equipped router and it works. They dial my phone number and
it rings. People call me with phone numbers, not IP addresses.

Ivor

well, that's only because a service provider is mapping the phone number
to your SIP address or perhaps your even IP address.
Old January 16th 06, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Ivor Jones wrote:
I can do that now without having to use dyndns. I plug my ATA into the
nearest ADSL-equipped router and it works. They dial my phone number and
it rings. People call me with phone numbers, not IP addresses.

Because your ATA does a SIP REGISTER with the service provider.

Tim