Cheap UK mobile?

Old January 15th 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
AKK

Default Cheap UK mobile?

Hi, I see that we can get free calls to US landlines and mobiles even
from EU, but not to our own Europe mobiles. Lowest UK mobile charge I
saw was 5p/min and only on weekends. Cheapest weekday price is 10p/min.

Do you know any cheaper ppm or is there any regulations or just not
enough competition to make it as cheap as in US?

best regards,
Andrius
Old January 15th 06, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh AKK:
Hi, I see that we can get free calls to US landlines and mobiles even
from EU, but not to our own Europe mobiles. Lowest UK mobile charge I
saw was 5p/min and only on weekends. Cheapest weekday price is
10p/min.
Do you know any cheaper ppm or is there any regulations or just not
enough competition to make it as cheap as in US?

best regards,
Andrius

The reason for difference in price is that the USA have that nasty habbit of
charging the person you are calling on the mobile for receiving your call, in
Europe the caller pays the full cost of the call.

Old January 15th 06, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message

Thus spaketh AKK:
Hi, I see that we can get free calls to US landlines
and mobiles even from EU, but not to our own Europe
mobiles. Lowest UK mobile charge I saw was 5p/min and
only on weekends. Cheapest weekday price is 10p/min.
Do you know any cheaper ppm or is there any regulations
or just not enough competition to make it as cheap as
in US? best regards,
Andrius

The reason for difference in price is that the USA have
that nasty habbit of charging the person you are calling
on the mobile for receiving your call, in Europe the
caller pays the full cost of the call.

Not a nasty habit if it means the person making the call doesn't get
charged through the nose. Why should I have to pay more to call you
because *you* choose to go mobile..? You (presumably) want me to call you
if you've given me your number, so if you choose to take advantage of the
freedom offered by a mobile, you should pay for that freedom, not me.

Give me the US system any day.

Ivor

Old January 15th 06, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message

Thus spaketh AKK:
Hi, I see that we can get free calls to US landlines
and mobiles even from EU, but not to our own Europe
mobiles. Lowest UK mobile charge I saw was 5p/min and
only on weekends. Cheapest weekday price is 10p/min.
Do you know any cheaper ppm or is there any regulations
or just not enough competition to make it as cheap as
in US? best regards,
Andrius

The reason for difference in price is that the USA have
that nasty habbit of charging the person you are calling
on the mobile for receiving your call, in Europe the
caller pays the full cost of the call.

Not a nasty habit if it means the person making the call doesn't get
charged through the nose. Why should I have to pay more to call you
because *you* choose to go mobile..?

When I receive calls I would not like to have to screen them before
answering worrying about the incoming call cost, it would also be very
annoying when work called when I had to pay for part of the call, and other
similar aituations when it is not reasonable to pay for the call when people
want to talk to *me*.

You (presumably) want me to call you if you've given me your number, so if
you choose to take advantage of the freedom offered by a mobile, you
should pay for that freedom, not me.

This could very easily be argued the other way- if I gave you my geographic
number and mobile number, it is up to you which you call if you wish to
speak to me. One I am only contactable on for a few hours a day before I
goto sleep, the other is on my person all the time. I would assume that the
person making the call would be the one 'wanting' something from the other
(eg a lift to work, ETA for getting to a bar, right the way through to a
telemarketing call being after a sale...) so think it is up to the callee to
decide whether they have the provisions (be it free x-network minutes or
bank balance to fund per minute charges) to take the extra option of calling
a mobile or not. If not, then pretend I don't have a mobile, and leave a
message on my geo number, and be called back 24 hours later: no-ones forcing
you to pay for my freedom of the use of my mobile!

Give me the US system any day.

And pay for every incoming call regardless of its importance or calling
party?

Ivor

People don't have to pay more to call me if I've "chosen" to go mobile... if
I hadn't gone mobile, they could keep calling my geographic number until I
returned home from being out and wherever. Having a mobile is an extra
option for people to get hold of me, not a change from geographic to mobile.
However if a friend has cross network minutes and wants a chat, or work want
to talk to me for a long time when I'm not contactable on a landline, then
they pay for the call, not me!
FWIW all the calls I make to mobiles are included in free minutes on my
mobile, as are a majority of my friends. The only people that pay more per
minute to call me are work and other companies/organisations where I would
definitely not want to pay for part of the incoming call anyway.

Alex

Old January 15th 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message

Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:

[snip]

The USA can keep their system. The one we have is
perfectly fine.

If you don't mind paying ripoff prices. I'd prefer to be charged the same
as for a landline.

You have the choice whether to call me on my 'landline'
or mobile. If you don't want to call the mobile then
fine, I don't see why I should pay to receive a call. There is no reason
however why the cost of calling
mobiles can't come down.

That's one way of looking at it, however if you give me your number I
assume you *want* me to call you. Why should I pay extra because you
choose to go mobile..? You didn't answer that.

The US system takes the cost of incoming calls from inclusive minutes
bundles. Prices there are such that you get many times the number of
minutes that you do here for the same price, with the result that people
rarely use them all, even heavy users. So using some of them for incoming
calls is rarely a problem, you still pay the same amount per month.

In any case, this really should be in uk.telecom.mobile, so I'll say no
more here.

Ivor

Old January 15th 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Adrian" wrote in message

[snip]

It would **** me off if I had a US mobile, and I kept
getting wrong numbers or marketing calls. I get both on
my UK mobile.

I never get them. In any case, as I mentioned in another message, the
pricing system on US mobiles is such that the cost of incoming calls is
minimal and has little or no effect on the amount you end up paying per
month.

Ivor

Old January 15th 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message

[...]

The problem is 70% of people in the UK are on PAYG, so don't get inclusive
minutes.

You pay extra because that is the cost to catch me whilst I am mobile, you
could however call me on my landline, just as you would have done before
mobile phones were available.

Old January 15th 06, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message

[Cross posted from uk.telecom.voip as this really should be in
uk.telecom.mobile, not there. Please ensure replies are in uk.t.m only,
thanks]

[snip]

The problem is 70% of people in the UK are on PAYG, so
don't get inclusive minutes.

Ok, one final reply, any response will be cross-posted to uk.t.m and only
replied to there.

PAYG mobiles in the US are charged for a little differently, when you buy
credit, it is for so many minutes, which are used for both incoming and
outgoing calls. So if you buy 500 minutes it's for both, so you do get
inclusive minutes in a way.

You pay extra because that is the cost to catch me whilst
I am mobile, you could however call me on my landline,
just as you would have done before mobile phones were
available.

But if you're out, I can't..! I am penalised if I need to speak to you
urgently, that's what's wrong, don't you see..?

Ivor

Old January 15th 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Thus spaketh AKK:

Hi, I see that we can get free calls to US landlines and mobiles
even from EU, but not to our own Europe mobiles. Lowest UK mobile
charge I saw was 5p/min and only on weekends. Cheapest weekday
price is 10p/min. Do you know any cheaper ppm or is there any
regulations or just not enough competition to make it as cheap as
in US?

best regards, Andrius

The reason for difference in price is that the USA have that nasty
habbit of charging the person you are calling on the mobile for
receiving your call, in Europe the caller pays the full cost of the
call.

Either way, the mobile phone companies need that revenue to pay for the
expensive networks they built. It's got to come from somewhere!
Old January 15th 06, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
David Floyd

In message of Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Ivor Jones writes

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message

[...]

Ivor - you've gone through all this before. So:

1) don't go through it all again
2) tell people to google for previous threads
3) it's OFF TOPIC here
and most people don't agree with you on this topic anyway.

DF