Question from a newbie about which VOIP is best to use when I am studying in Europe and wanting to call back home to Australia?...as well as a few other queations!

Old January 16th 06, 03:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ura

Default Question from a newbie about which VOIP is best to use when I am studying in Europe and wanting to call back home to Australia?...as well as a few other queations!

Hi,

I'm just about to head off to study in Europe for a few years and am
taking my laptop with me.

I want to be able to make cheap phone calls to Australia and also for
my parents to call me cheaply.

I also want to be able to make cheap phone calls within Europe whilst I
am there.

Is Skype the best answer for me and for my parents?

If I get Skype then do they also need to get it or can they call me
from their POTS on my laptop and pay internet-level rates?

If I get Skype then is the sound quality the same with a USB telephone
as with a headset?

Which headsets are the best quality?

Which USB telephones are the best quality?

Thanks for the help!

ura

Old January 16th 06, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 15 Jan 2006 19:43:06 -0800, "Ura" wrote:

Hi,

I'm just about to head off to study in Europe for a few years and am
taking my laptop with me.

I want to be able to make cheap phone calls to Australia and also for
my parents to call me cheaply.

I also want to be able to make cheap phone calls within Europe whilst I
am there.

Is Skype the best answer for me and for my parents?

If I get Skype then do they also need to get it or can they call me
from their POTS on my laptop and pay internet-level rates?

If I get Skype then is the sound quality the same with a USB telephone
as with a headset?

Which headsets are the best quality?

Which USB telephones are the best quality?

Thanks for the help!

ura

As far as simplicity is concerned Skype works well but you do have to
have a computer switched on at both ends. Further, the video works
well but how well over a long distance I don't know. Skype is OK for
casual contacts and where the people concerned have little technical
ability.
You have to look at what facilities you will have access to in Europe.
If you are to be at Uni for example, and relying on their internet
connection, then you might get firewall problems. If that is the case
then you may have little choice but to use Skype.
If you can independently control your Internet conection then I'd go
for a proper voip system and buy an ATA.
Personally, I think that having to have a computer switched on at
both ends is a disadvantage. If you could set your parents up with an
ATA and then take one with you to Europe then I think that would work
well. If you both have ATAs then you can call for free between them -
just choose a reliable company.
I call my cousin in OZ via voip and it is good.
Alternatively, you might choose to have an ATA at your end and make
calls to landlines. Setting the dial plan appropriately will allow you
to use more than one company. You don't have to ring out with the same
company you use for receiving calls (providing you choose an ATA which
allows appropriate programming - Sipura for example)
If you choose a UK operator and your parents are in th eUK then
calling you will be the same as a UK call - they could use landline
LCR 1899 to call you at 3p/call.
Not all voip operators do incoming lines.

For UK voip operators check out:-
voip.co.uk
voipfone.co.uk

also, international, (but credit expires so read small print):-
voipstunt.com (currently FREE calls to OZ)
voipbuster
sipdiscount

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 16th 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

Brian A wrote:

If you can independently control your Internet conection then I'd go
for a proper voip system and buy an ATA.
If you could set your parents up with an
ATA and then take one with you to Europe then I think that would work
well. If you both have ATAs then you can call for free between them -
just choose a reliable company.
I call my cousin in OZ via voip and it is good.

I agree that this is probably the first choice solution. Apart from the
2 ATAs to be bought, you will also need a router at each end and a
spare telephone handset for each ATA. Once you have the hardware, there
are no extra costs involved for voip to voip calls, and you don't need
to have your computer switched on to make or receive calls.