DabsValue VoIP 4-Port ADSL Router

Old January 16th 06, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lee

Default DabsValue VoIP 4-Port ADSL Router

Has anyone used one of these?
Details:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3LFS

I will using it with my voipfone account. Is there any reason why this
should be avoided - it seems cheap at £45? Well, cheaper than getting an
ADSL router and a decent ATA separately.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Old January 16th 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Lee wrote:
Has anyone used one of these?
Details:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3LFS

No.

The details from the original manufacturer a
http://www.paradigm.com.tw/P1_VoIP_P840V.html

I want to know what "Support Dying Gasp functionality." is ?????

I will using it with my voipfone account. Is there any reason why this
should be avoided - it seems cheap at £45? Well, cheaper than getting an
ADSL router and a decent ATA separately.

Generally you get what you pay for. I've tested a large pile of ATA's.
The most common problems are

1) that the admin interface doesn't make sense.

2) That the SIP stack just doesn't work.

3) Device crashes - usually after turned on for a few days or lots of calls.

Obviously, if you buy hardware from voipfone then it will arrive at you
all ready to plug into your existing router.

Tim
Old January 16th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lee

"Tim Bray" wrote in message
.. .
Lee wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the thoughts.

For what it is worth, I am not buying the hardware from voipfone [all ATA's
out of stock] and I do not have an existing router at the location I need
the phone - hence my interest in a combined box that is cheaper than
purchasing a new ADSL router and separate ATA.

Old January 16th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Tim Bray wrote:

Lee wrote:
Has anyone used one of these?
Details:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3LFS

No.

The details from the original manufacturer a
http://www.paradigm.com.tw/P1_VoIP_P840V.html

I want to know what "Support Dying Gasp functionality." is ?????

ROFL. Best Translation Ever.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Old January 17th 06, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

alexd wrote:
I want to know what "Support Dying Gasp functionality." is ?????

ROFL. Best Translation Ever.

My best guess so far is `will send the syslog packet before crashing`

Tim
Old January 17th 06, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Lee wrote:

For what it is worth, I am not buying the hardware from voipfone [all ATA's
out of stock] and I do not have an existing router at the location I need
the phone - hence my interest in a combined box that is cheaper than
purchasing a new ADSL router and separate ATA.

So far, with everything I've tested you will get better functionality by
having two boxes.

Having said that, I haven't tested the new combined router/ATA products
from Linksys.

But - the sipura - linksys translation has not been a smooth one, and
there are currently shortages on all the products in the UK.

Tim

Old January 17th 06, 02:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Tim Bray:
So far, with everything I've tested you will get better functionality by
having two boxes.

You don't get the QoS (priority for VoIP packets) with two boxes.

The Dabs / Paradigm cheapo doesn't seem to support QoS or ADSL2.

So go swiftly to broadbandbuyer.co.uk, pass go, and get Zyxel 2602HW WiFi 2x
VoIP ADSL2 router,
at ONLY £87 BEFORE they realise they have priced it wrong !
(have look at the price of the 2602HWL, same thing but include PSTN
pass-through...)
Regards,
Martin

Old January 17th 06, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Martin² wrote:
Tim Bray:

So far, with everything I've tested you will get better functionality by
having two boxes.

You don't get the QoS (priority for VoIP packets) with two boxes.

You do if you buy the right router. Practically every device under the
sun says it supports diffserv marking but it's not of much use since
your ISP probably wont take any notice of it (yet!?!). If the router
can do traffic prioritisation then you simply put your ATA on a static
address & tell the router to prioritise anything going to or coming from
that address.

I agree with Tim, I'm currently using an all in one device at home that
retails at over £200 & the VoIP isn't as reliable or flexible as using
a separate ATA. The router is SIP aware & will prioritise SIP traffic
without me having to do any config other than type in my upstream &
downstream speeds too.

Paul.
Old January 17th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:23:09 -0000, "Martin²" wrote:

You don't get the QoS (priority for VoIP packets) with two boxes.

That's not so.
Old January 17th 06, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lee

"Martin²" wrote in message
Tim Bray:
So far, with everything I've tested you will get better functionality by
having two boxes.

You don't get the QoS (priority for VoIP packets) with two boxes.

The Dabs / Paradigm cheapo doesn't seem to support QoS or ADSL2.

So go swiftly to broadbandbuyer.co.uk, pass go, and get Zyxel 2602HW WiFi
2x VoIP ADSL2 router,
at ONLY £87 BEFORE they realise they have priced it wrong !
(have look at the price of the 2602HWL, same thing but include PSTN
pass-through...)
Regards,
Martin

I have done as you suggest. I feel more comfortable paying a little more for
a brand I recognise.

Thank you [and everyone else who responded] for your help.