Freetalk HELP

Old January 20th 06, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jeni brown

Default Freetalk HELP

Hi all

Just purchased on of these as I have got rid of the landline.

My setup is cable modem - freetalk adapter - PC.
No router involved.

The problem is I can't connect to the internet when it is plugged in. All
the lights are on but I can't ping my modem or the outside world. It doesn't
mention anything about configuring the NIC that it is connected to in the
brochure although when I do an ipconfig it seems to have given the NIC an ip
and gateway address!
Any help would be gratefully accepted.
I have emailed freetalk but I doubt I'll hear anything tonight.

Jen
Old January 20th 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Deag

"Jeni brown" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all

Just purchased on of these as I have got rid of the landline.

My setup is cable modem - freetalk adapter - PC.
No router involved.

The problem is I can't connect to the internet when it is plugged in. All
the lights are on but I can't ping my modem or the outside world. It
doesn't
mention anything about configuring the NIC that it is connected to in the
brochure although when I do an ipconfig it seems to have given the NIC an
ip
and gateway address!
Any help would be gratefully accepted.
I have emailed freetalk but I doubt I'll hear anything tonight.

Jen

Call them you will get quicker help. They do respond to emails but it can
take a few days.

Old January 20th 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Jeni brown wrote:

Hi all

Just purchased on of these as I have got rid of the landline.

My setup is cable modem - freetalk adapter - PC.
No router involved.

The problem is I can't connect to the internet when it is plugged in. All
the lights are on but I can't ping my modem or the outside world. It
doesn't mention anything about configuring the NIC that it is connected to
in the brochure although when I do an ipconfig it seems to have given the
NIC an ip and gateway address!
Any help would be gratefully accepted.
I have emailed freetalk but I doubt I'll hear anything tonight.

Jen

How're you connecting both pieces of equipment to the cable modem at the
same time?

This can only be done if you either
a) use a router
b) have 2 IP addresses from your ISP
c) have a device in the middle (does their adapter have 2 ethernet ports,
one marked LAN, the other WAN? If so this would be the device in the
middle)

The website doesn't even show where to connect things up
http://www.freetalk.co.uk/HowItWorks.aspx

Don't forget to power everything down (modem as well) before attempting to
connect a new device to the modem.

Old January 20th 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jeni brown

Hi
Yes, their adapter does have a LAN and a WAN port, the lights on both are
flashing so there is a connection. I've just downloaded their manaul (which
they don't give you in the box!) and it says that I have to logon to the
adapter.........I've tried every way possible - turn off firewall, different
NIC etc but can I logon to the flipping thing.....NO. And that's what you
need to do to set ip up! Even tried resetting it but no good......
Old January 20th 06, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Jeni brown wrote:
|| Hi
|| Yes, their adapter does have a LAN and a WAN port, the lights on
|| both are flashing so there is a connection. I've just downloaded
|| their manaul (which they don't give you in the box!) and it says
|| that I have to logon to the adapter.........I've tried every way
|| possible - turn off firewall, different NIC etc but can I logon to
|| the flipping thing.....NO. And that's what you need to do to set ip
|| up! Even tried resetting it but no good......

I suspect one of the issues is related to the fact that your cable modem is
expecting to see the MAC address from your PC - obviously it's seeing the
MAC of your adapter.

What's the link for the instruction booklet?

You already know that you need to log into the router (dexter's given an IP
address to try)

Old January 20th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Deag

Jeni brown wrote:
Hi all

Just purchased on of these as I have got rid of the landline.

My setup is cable modem - freetalk adapter - PC.
No router involved.

The problem is I can't connect to the internet when it is plugged in. All
the lights are on but I can't ping my modem or the outside world. It doesn't
mention anything about configuring the NIC that it is connected to in the
brochure although when I do an ipconfig it seems to have given the NIC an ip
and gateway address!
Any help would be gratefully accepted.
I have emailed freetalk but I doubt I'll hear anything tonight.

Jen

After connecting everything did you power off the cable modem and
restart it?
Old January 20th 06, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jeni brown

Hi Guys

thanks for all your replies, most helpful.

Eventually it let me logon - 191.168.1.1 and I guessed that the password
would be admin.

fiddled aroung for a bit but to no avail then suddenly I was on the net! It
must have been the dear old mac address tables. I even tried cloning the
MAcC but that didn't work.

But it's all ok now and the phone is working. Only trouble is everyone I've
phoned so far havebeen out!

The link to the "proper" manual incase anyone wants it is:
http://downloads.freetalk.co.uk/SVA-600_UIguide.pdf

Hope that helps someone else.

Not exactly "get it out of the box and it will work" tho....

Mad Jen