PSTN lines linked to Voip

Old January 21st 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David M

Default PSTN lines linked to Voip

Hi,

I have setup a Voip phone account recently with Voipfone for our comapny and
I am quite happy with that.
The problem now, is that the we have 2 systems (PSTN and Voip)
The best would be to have a link between the PSTN lines and the VoIP

I suppose that that should be the use of Asterisk ? is that correct ?
- Now, what is the difference between Asteriks and [email protected] ??
- When I see a configuration file, that seems to me quite difficult to
install !?

I am using at home a SPA3k connected to (PSTN line and Ethernet) When my
Voip provider is out,. I even can't any phone call via the PSTN line...
- Does somebody know if the Voip proviers is temporarly out, Can we still
receive some phone calls on the PSTN line (via Asterisk) ?

Thanks for your help

Old January 21st 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

David M wrote:
|| Hi,
|| I have setup a Voip phone account recently with Voipfone for our
|| comapny and I am quite happy with that.
|| The problem now, is that the we have 2 systems (PSTN and Voip)
|| The best would be to have a link between the PSTN lines and the VoIP
|| I suppose that that should be the use of Asterisk ? is that correct ?
|| - Now, what is the difference between Asteriks and [email protected] ??
|| - When I see a configuration file, that seems to me quite difficult
|| to install !?
|| I am using at home a SPA3k connected to (PSTN line and Ethernet)
|| When my Voip provider is out,. I even can't any phone call via the
|| PSTN line... - Does somebody know if the Voip proviers is temporarly
|| out, Can we still receive some phone calls on the PSTN line (via
|| Asterisk) ?
|| Thanks for your help

There is no real difference between [email protected] and vanilla asterisk.

[email protected] comes with an easy to use GUI.vanilla asterisk requires a
modicum of linux knowledge

Your spa3k is mis-set. Mine behaves as you wish.

Old January 21st 06, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

David M wrote:
Hi,

I have setup a Voip phone account recently with Voipfone for our comapny and
I am quite happy with that.
The problem now, is that the we have 2 systems (PSTN and Voip)
The best would be to have a link between the PSTN lines and the VoIP

I suppose that that should be the use of Asterisk ? is that correct ?

Asterisk is the most flexible solution maybe - but not the only one -
ATAs are possible solution.

- Now, what is the difference between Asteriks and [email protected] ??

On the Asterisk side - no difference. [email protected] is for the "less
technically proficient" (like myself). It includes the latest version
of Asterisk and a few other programs that make setting up easier for
the novice.

- When I see a configuration file, that seems to me quite difficult to
install !?

Yeah, I agree - that's why I went for [email protected]ome.

I am using at home a SPA3k connected to (PSTN line and Ethernet) When my
Voip provider is out,. I even can't any phone call via the PSTN line...

Even without Asterisk, a SPA3K at either end could work too giving you
both PSTN and Ethernet (VoIP) connectability at both ends, office and
home. This would limit you to one (physical) phone at each end though,
which is probably not ideal for the office...

- Does somebody know if the Voip proviers is temporarly out, Can we still
receive some phone calls on the PSTN line (via Asterisk) ?

This is possible, yes.

Old January 22nd 06, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

"Jono" wrote in message
|| When my Voip provider is out,. I even can't any phone call via the
|| PSTN line...

Your spa3k is mis-set. Mine behaves as you wish.

Mine behaves like his. If the SPA3k loses its power, or if I remove the
ethernet connection, then an internal relay trips and PSTN works instead.
But in the face of any other fault preventing VOIP calls the device
nevertheless insists on routing everything to the commercial SIP provider
whether it's accessible or not.

Which of the 23 squillion SPA3k parameters actually is the one by which I
could force PSTN calling if my ISP is offline or VOIP gateway provider
having bad day or whatever?

Joe

Old January 22nd 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David M

"David M" wrote in message
[...]

THanks for your answer....
I have downloaded [email protected] v 2.2 and I will study this posiblilty...

BTW, Converning the SPA3k, there is effectively a possibility to switch
automatically from Voip - PSTN line if the Voip provider is out, but that
is something I wish to manage carefully. If your SPA commute to the PSTLine,
you are not aware that you have commuted (as far as I am aware...) whe you
pick up the line and that is the danger....
That is why I tried to force the PSTL by dialing the 90..

Old January 22nd 06, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

David M wrote:

|| BTW, Converning the SPA3k, there is effectively a possibility to
|| switch automatically from Voip - PSTN line if the Voip provider is
|| out, but that is something I wish to manage carefully. If your SPA
|| commute to the PSTLine, you are not aware that you have commuted
|| (as far as I am aware...) whe you pick up the line and that is the
|| danger....
|| That is why I tried to force the PSTL by dialing the 90..

Make sure you have a (slightly) different dial tone for your Voip line. That
way, you can easily tell.

Old January 22nd 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Joe Harrison wrote:
||| Your spa3k is mis-set. Mine behaves as you wish.
|| Mine behaves like his. If the SPA3k loses its power, or if I remove
|| the ethernet connection, then an internal relay trips and PSTN works
|| instead. But in the face of any other fault preventing VOIP calls
|| the device nevertheless insists on routing everything to the
|| commercial SIP provider whether it's accessible or not.
|| Which of the 23 squillion SPA3k parameters actually is the one by
|| which I could force PSTN calling if my ISP is offline or VOIP
|| gateway provider having bad day or whatever?
|| Joe

I haven't had chance to look, sorry............

Old January 22nd 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Joe Harrison" writes:

"Jono" wrote in message
|| When my Voip provider is out,. I even can't any phone call via the
|| PSTN line...

Your spa3k is mis-set. Mine behaves as you wish.

Mine behaves like his. If the SPA3k loses its power, or if I remove the
ethernet connection, then an internal relay trips and PSTN works instead.
But in the face of any other fault preventing VOIP calls the device
nevertheless insists on routing everything to the commercial SIP provider
whether it's accessible or not.

Which of the 23 squillion SPA3k parameters actually is the one by which I
could force PSTN calling if my ISP is offline or VOIP gateway provider
having bad day or whatever?

Actually, the SPA3k only has around 700 configuration parameters.

Sorry, don't have access to one at the moment, but ISTR there are
some check boxes or yes/no selections relating to making or receiving
calls when not registered. Might want you check those out.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old January 22nd 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

There is an option in the PSTN Line tab:

Under Audio Configuration heading:

Warn Outgoing PSTN Call: set to yes

This will give you an audio tone for the first few seconds when using the
PSTN line.

Regards
Rob

Old January 22nd 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Rob wrote:

||| Make sure you have a (slightly) different dial tone for your Voip
||| line. That way, you can easily tell.

|| There is an option in the PSTN Line tab:
|| Under Audio Configuration heading:
|| Warn Outgoing PSTN Call: set to yes
|| This will give you an audio tone for the first few seconds when
|| using the PSTN line.
|| Regards
|| Rob

Not with firmware 3.1.5(GWb). Which version do you have?