newbie question

Old January 22nd 06, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
DB

Default newbie question

I have only just started taking an interest in Voip. I have been looking
through this newsgroup to pick up some tips. I'm thinking maybe voip is the
way to go when I'm abroad on holiday. last year I was paying 1.10p pm to
call home from the states. I am going out again in the near future. I will
be taking my laptop and connecting wirelessly via the so called high speed
internet
access they have in hotels in the States.Can someone recommend a good voip
provider that will allow me to ring home to a UK landline (not PC). I
Presumeably I will need some kind of usb device (handset) as well. Any
recommendations for that as well. Finally is there anything else that I will
need?
Many thanks
Dave