playing a sound file while phoning

Old January 23rd 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Frank Lekens

Default playing a sound file while phoning

As far as I know, when you make a phone call with the computer, using
Skype, Voipbuser or another VOIP service, the VOIP application only passes
on the sound input of the microphone.

Suppose that, under Windows XP, I would want to play a sound file that's on
my computer for the person I'm calling. Is this in any way possible -- is
there a VOIP-programme that allows for this? Or is it even possible with
the standard Skype software?

I'm looking, obviously, for another solution than that of just sticking my
microphone close to the speakers to let the callee hear what I'm playing.

All tips are welcome.
--
Frank
(xs4all dot nl is where it's really @)
Old January 24th 06, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

"Frank Lekens" wrote in message
news
As far as I know, when you make a phone call with the computer, using
Skype, Voipbuser or another VOIP service, the VOIP application only passes
on the sound input of the microphone.

Suppose that, under Windows XP, I would want to play a sound file that's
on
my computer for the person I'm calling. Is this in any way possible -- is
there a VOIP-programme that allows for this? Or is it even possible with
the standard Skype software?

I'm looking, obviously, for another solution than that of just sticking my
microphone close to the speakers to let the callee hear what I'm playing.

All tips are welcome.
--
Frank
(xs4all dot nl is where it's really @)

Its quite simple; goto your volume control by double clicking the taskbar
icon, options properties recording (tick all) ok. Deselect
microphone as the recording source, and tick wave output, or which ever your
computer calls the internal wave output (not synthesiser as thats for
midi's, etc). Whichever box you tick is the 'output' channel from the
computer for any bit of software which wants an input, be it a sound
recorder or voip program.

Alex

Old January 24th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Frank Lekens

Op Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:23:20 GMT schreef Alex:

[...]

Yes and no. This seems to work to the extent that the person on the other
end of the line can now hear himself talking (which is a fairly undesirable
effect), but I can *never* get him to hear the music I'm playing on the
computer.

With the line in, on the other hand, it seems to be a question of
either/or: either they hear the input of the line in, *or* they hear the
input of the mic. So rerouting sound through there isn't going to cut it
either. Bummer.

Old January 26th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick Ward

Not a pure VoIP solution, but I reckon the following would do it:

1) Using a network-based call recording service, record a call made to
your own number, i.e. so that you can record on to your voicemail

2) Play the sound file you want. You then have a network-based copy of
the sound file sitting in the call recording service database.

3) Call the third party to whom you want to play the sound file

4) Set up a 3-party call, with the 3rd party being the call recording
service playback

Nick

www.recordmycall.co.uk