newbie equipment question what wireless router to get?

Old January 23rd 06, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
misterroy

Default newbie equipment question what wireless router to get?

hi, at present I'm still on dial-up, but a radio-based broadband is now
available in the village. I'm thinking of dumping the bt line (not
needed with the ISP) and going the voip route.
All the jargon is getting a bit much, could I have some recommendations
for what to get.

I want the broadband to be wireless and I want to be able to plug the
wireless dect phone I have now into the router and use it as a voip
phone

the router must support PPPoE and have an ethernet input for the isp's
line

thanks
roy

Old January 24th 06, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

You need a 'cable router with VoIP'.
The only ones I know off are,
Draytek Vigor 2100VG and 2900VG,
they are very good and reliable but not cheap,
but you will find them second hand on Ebay,
that's how I got mine.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 24th 06, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Just to warn that you should not rely on this solution as you would for
a traditional BT line.

Your service will be subject to serviceability levels of the landline
carrying the broadband, the ISP connection and peering, the VOIP
provider, the wireless transmitter/receiver, your router, the ATA or
Windows XP and the neighbour's microwave.

None of these individually is likely to match the reliabilty of a
standard BT POTS line. Put them all together, add on 'planned'
maintenance overnight with untested upgrades and you ought to
contigence being off the air for extended periods. Getting it fixed
will be more complex than dialling 150 from the nearest phonebox ;-)

If you have a mobile, can divert incoming calls without using a
browser, and/or calls are not ever important to you then do pursue this
route to save a tenner a month or whatever. Otherwise be very, very
careful!

Old January 24th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
misterroy

I was without a landline for about three weeks in 2005 so with two
mobiles I can probably cope with an irregular service, of course i have
no experience yet as to how irregular the service can be.
Out of 100 calls, how many connect and are clear enough on the first
call?

Old January 24th 06, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

misterroy wrote:
|| I was without a landline for about three weeks in 2005 so with two
|| mobiles I can probably cope with an irregular service, of course i
|| have no experience yet as to how irregular the service can be.
|| Out of 100 calls, how many connect and are clear enough on the first
|| call?

100 here (almost.) Very rarely have an issue. If I do, it's usually a
problem of my own making.