Post-dial DTMF receive errors - any 'quality checkers' available?

Old January 26th 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Jim

Default Post-dial DTMF receive errors - any 'quality checkers' available?

Mark wrote:
I'm experiencing errors on end-end DTMF which I suspect may be due to
speech path degradation. (Symptom: some IVR systems are incorrectly
interpreting my key presses. I've tried using several different
phones.)

Is there any way for me to check the reception of digits, akin to an
an echo test?

Basicallly I want to press the digits 0-9 *and # numerous times and
have some machine either speak back each key press in turn or
otherwise record the overall success rate against a known template
(i.e it tells me what keys to press, and I then press them).

I'm using VoIP but in case others might know of a solution I've
cross-posted to uk.telecom

TIA

Some VoIP codecs are very likely to distort DTMF signals.
Do you know which one you are using? There are techniques
for relaying these signals out-of-band.
Old January 27th 06, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Stuart

"Jim" wrote in message
Mark wrote:
[...]

Unlikely to degradagation as the DTMF tones are all digitised.
Have you any speech quality issues? I.e. echo, silent seconds, etc...this
may be down to lost packets.
If so, what connection are you using? If the VoIP is breaking out the the
PSTN (which is 100% quality) your IP conection is to blame. If purely IP the
it could be numerous problems, suspect the internet!!

Stuart

Old January 29th 06, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Linus Surguy

"Stuart" wrote:
Some VoIP codecs are very likely to distort DTMF signals. Do you know
which one you are using? There are techniques for relaying these signals
out-of-band.

Unlikely to degradagation as the DTMF tones are all digitised.

Incorrect I'm afraid. If the original poster's equipment is using 'in-band' DTMF
and is not using G711 codec then the compression techniques will degrade or lose
entirely the DTMF information. If the poster is using G.711, but has selected
ulaw then it still can suffer from conversion when it hits the UK's a-law based
PSTN.

If you are using a true VoIP handset or softphone, then I'd suggest trying to
configure your equipment to use an 'out of band' method such as RFC2833 or SIP
INFO, although your provider has to support it.

If you are using a VoIP adapter and plugging in a normal PSTN phone, then make
sure you have inband DTMF selected and are using G.711 a-law (sometimes refered
to as PCMA in the menus).

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
Old January 29th 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Ivor Jones

"Linus Surguy" wrote in
message

[snip]

If you are using a VoIP adapter and plugging in a normal
PSTN phone, then make sure you have inband DTMF selected
and are using G.711 a-law (sometimes refered to as PCMA
in the menus).

Doesn't work on my Sipura SPA-2000 on Sipgate. I have to use SIP INFO for
DTMF to be passed to menu systems at the other end. Using G711a BTW.

Ivor