How many phones per ADSL line?

Old January 26th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Partridge

Default How many phones per ADSL line?

All,

Subject says it all really..

On a normal ADSL line (256K upstream), how many phones/channels can be
reliably run?

This in an environment where all phones are in use at once.

TIA,
Philip Partridge
Old January 26th 06, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Phil Partridge wrote:
All,

Subject says it all really..

On a normal ADSL line (256K upstream), how many phones/channels can be
reliably run?

This in an environment where all phones are in use at once.

TIA,
Philip Partridge

Depends on may things, including the protocol you are using to terminate
and receive the calls and the codec that you will be using.

Also the service you get from your ADSL connection.

There are plenty of VOIP bandwidth calculators out there to give you
some idea.
Old January 26th 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in
message
Phil Partridge wrote:
All,

Subject says it all really..

On a normal ADSL line (256K upstream), how many
phones/channels can be reliably run?

This in an environment where all phones are in use at
once. TIA,
Philip Partridge

Depends on may things, including the protocol you are
using to terminate and receive the calls and the codec
that you will be using.
Also the service you get from your ADSL connection.

There are plenty of VOIP bandwidth calculators out there
to give you some idea.

I've had three calls on the go at once but nothing else was happening on
the connection and the router supports QoS.

Certainly never had a problem with two simultaneous calls.

Ivor

Old January 26th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:09:51 +0000, Phil Partridge
wrote:

All,

Subject says it all really..

On a normal ADSL line (256K upstream), how many phones/channels can be
reliably run?

This in an environment where all phones are in use at once.

If nothing else is using the uplink, three at high quality, or five or
six if you are prepared to compromise and go for a low-bandwidth
codec.

IME. three is a sensible limit, though.
Old January 26th 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:09:51 +0000, Phil Partridge
wrote:

All,

Subject says it all really..

On a normal ADSL line (256K upstream), how many phones/channels can be
reliably run?

This in an environment where all phones are in use at once.

If nothing else is using the uplink, three at high quality, or five or
six if you are prepared to compromise and go for a low-bandwidth
codec.

I haven't noticed any loss of quality using G.729 (the version you
purchase from digium), which uses 1/8th of the bandwidth of G.711 as
with all codecs that use compression it requires more runtime from the
device that's using them (which is why a lot of ATA's can only use it on
one channel at a time) and can be used for voice calls only.

G.723 uses even less bandwidth.

Of course that doesn't mean that you can have a theoretical 24 calls
simultaneously since there is an overhead caused by the the protocol
that the calls are transmitted over. (IAX2 has a smaller footprint than
SIP).

There are tons of bandwidth calculators around eg:

http://www.asteriskguru.com/bandwidth_calculator.php

Which would suggest that 3 calls using G.711 over SIP uses roughly as
much bandwidth as 11 calls using G.729 over IAX. (or 10 over SIP).

IME. three is a sensible limit, though.

Old January 27th 06, 08:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:44:24 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
wrote:

I haven't noticed any loss of quality using G.729 (the version you
purchase from digium)

Both ends have to support that codec to use it, don't they?

I've tried G.726 and had complaints from users about the line quality
- even though I didn't tell them there was a different setting being
tried.
Old January 27th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Partridge

In article , Thomas Kenyon
writes
wrote:

I haven't noticed any loss of quality using G.729 (the version you
purchase from digium)

Both ends have to support that codec to use it, don't they?

Err, yeah as they do with any codec.

But surely only from 'your' phone to 'whoever' your back-end provider
is..
How the translation from 'their' system to the next is done, whne it
breaks out to another network could be anything..
Presumably either a digital conversion from one bit-stream to another,
or right up to analogue and back to digits??

I've tried G.726 and had complaints from users about the line quality
- even though I didn't tell them there was a different setting being
tried.

Not had any problem with sipgate (both ways), or gradwell (ougoing).
Mind you I've got an incoming spanish number from gradwell that I've had
complaints from regarding the line quality, that could be a million
things (not even tried to investigate yet).

I have Gradwell for a personal trial, and am very impressed.

SO.............

The consensus is:
Three 'phones' per ADSL.

From this, a company who put in one ADSL for a firm where six phones are
required, and the firm 'live or die' by their phones, was being (to say
the least) optimistic!
As they can't get DTMF passthrough to work, one o/g call in 5 comes up
as engaged, or 'unable to connect you' but immediate call to same number
on mobile gets through, and pickup groups don't work, are not worth
using!

Thanks,
Philip Partridge
Old January 27th 06, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Phil Partridge wrote:
In article , Thomas Kenyon
writes

wrote:

[...]

From this, a company who put in one ADSL for a firm where six phones are
required, and the firm 'live or die' by their phones, was being (to say
the least) optimistic!
As they can't get DTMF passthrough to work, one o/g call in 5 comes up
as engaged, or 'unable to connect you' but immediate call to same number
on mobile gets through, and pickup groups don't work, are not worth
using!

Thanks,
Philip Partridge

I wouldn't say you can reliably run three G711 calls through a 256kbps
uplink at all. As soon as someone sends an email with an attachment the
phone calls would degrade. You need to have a router that will
prioritise the VoIP traffic.

My experience with cable broadband like NTL & Telewest is that you're
sometimes lucky to be able to get a single G711 call through. I have
NTL at home & my upstream speed measured at 56kpbs the other week when I
tested it!